SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

Neighbors and their disruptive dogs! ARGH!!!!

loralee_2007
14 years ago

I am at my wits end and hope that you all can post some advice.

We had new neighbors move in about 6 months ago and they have 2 small dogs: Chihuahua(sp?) and small poodle mix. And these dogs are driving me & the neighbors NUTS, no exaggeration.

I live in a VERY quiet neighborhood, let me preface it there first. But the owners let the dogs in the yard, and they bark CONSTANTLY. Through my walls, all I hear is yap yap yap yap yap.

On top of that, the dogs routinely "somehow" get out of the fence and run around the neighborhood, on many occasions nearly hit by cars - and where are the owners? Inside the house, oblivious. Their chihuahua has discovered that we have indoor cats and he LOVES to come over onto my deck to yap at my cats through the door, and I'm sure you can imagine how pleased they are, no less myself.

It is soooo bad that my other next door neighbor commented the other day how much she feels sorry for us. And I'm sure others in the neighborhood feel similarly. What was once a quiet, lovely, neighborhood...is now haunted daily by hours and hours of endless barking, and their roaming is worrisome as they seem aggressive, even if they are "only" going for the ankles.

The owners are old enough to know better. They have 2 children (look to be around 10 and 7-8). Would you approach them? Or would you go straight to Animal Control?

I've never ever in my years witnessed such blatant disregard for one's animal health and wellbeing. I just don't know what to do. I fear if I address them directly, the disgust I have for the lack of training and diregard on their well being would be glaringly obvious.

However, going to Animal Control directly seems excessive as well.

Please, any tips you can give to bring back some sanity to my neighborhood would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (23)