SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janet_ks

Need food processor advice

janet_ks
12 years ago

I'm thinking of treating myself to a food processor for Christmas and would appreciate some advice. I'm thinking Cuisinart or KitchenAid, but don't know what size or features I need. I'm single and don't have time to do a lot of cooking right now, but plan to spend more time in the kitchen as soon as I retire and I hate food prep (probably because I don't have the knife skills of a pro). I'm looking for a machine to slice, dice and chop items for soups and salads...make bread crumbs and pulverize graham crackers...shred cheese and veggies and maybe make an occasional pie crust. What do you use your for? Do you regret having bought one? How do they perform with cream cheese (as in making spreads for appetizers)? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Janet

Comments (42)

• Olychick
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Janet, I am pretty new to this site, but have to say there is probably no one who is more of an enthusiastic fp fan than me. I got a Cuisinart Pro in the 1970's when they first started becoming popular/available, because I HATE to chop. (I am on my 2nd one, well actually 3rd one because the first one lasted 30+ years and the 2nd on lasted 3 years). I prepare nearly everything in it. In my house, if you can't prepare it in a fp or clean it in the dishwasher, it doesn't have much of a chance. I chop, blend, shred, cream, make bread (which is why I bought the largest one available), make pastry crust, etc.

In the fancy party food thread, I posted a pic of a torta made with cream cheese and butter that I do exclusively in the cuisinart. I have a whipper attachment and I whip cream in it, too. I bought an extra bowl and blade so when I'm in a cooking frenzy I don't have to run the dishwasher...no hand washing for me. I have never used any other brand, so cannot compare. And cuisinart does not seem to have the same longevity as it did originally, but nothing else seems to either. I love how easy a fp makes my cooking life.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I am very happy with the kitchenAid that Elery bought me. I was using it one day to chop pork for sausage and the knife blade broke. It was just before Christmas, so I called customer service to order a new blade. The very nice girl on the phone asked me to hold, then came back and said that if the blade broke in the food it was a safety issue, please send the entire unit back. They over-nighted me a whole new machine, paid all the postage and were just generally a delight to deal with.

I use it to cut the butter into flour for pastry and scones, but do all other mixing by hand. I make hummus, because it makes it faster and smoother than any other device I've tried. I shredded all the cabbage for sauerkraut with it, chop meat for sausage, use it to make Evil Jessica's lime/chipotle marinade because it'll chop up the coriander. It's great for making pesto for the freezer too, and my secretary borrowed it to chop all the vegetables for a relish that her husband wanted to can, she loved it too.

Some people here use theirs for bread dough and pie crust, but I use my bread machine for bread and I can't manage to not over mix pie crust in it, it gets too hot and then I have to cool it off and it takes twice as long. I do use the FP to cut the fat into the flour, though.

I've also used it to chop fruit for jam and fruit glazes and syrups.

Anyway, KitchenAid has customer service that's better than any I've experienced, I highly recommend them.

Annie

• Related Discussions

Food processors - do I need one

Q

Comments (14)
    Here is my recipe for Tex-Mex bean dip: 1-1/3 cup dried pinto (or red) beans (about 2 cups cooked) 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped 2 tbsp cumin 1 bunch of cilantro, large stems removed, about 2/3 cup chopped 1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes (10 oz.) or similar tomatoes, diced with green chilies, drained, liquid reserved 2-3 Serrano chilies, coarsely chopped 6 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (or 2 tbsp dried oregano) 1 tbsp soup base - vegetable or beef (or 1-1/2 tsp salt, or to taste) Cook the beans by your preferred method (I use a pressure cooker now) until done, and discard the cooking water. Place all of the ingredients except the beans in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the beans, and process until pureed. I remove some of the seeds from the chilies and save them, in case it comes out too bland. You can remove more seeds, if you like it mild. Serve warm or cold with tortilla chips. This is a staple at my house, and is similar to beans that are a staple in Mexico and are used as a condiment every day. I use them for making burritos, tortas, migas, chalupas, tostados, quesadillas, taco salad, etc. Sometimes I serve them, heated, as a side dish for enchiladas or tamales. If you do not have my hummus recipe, I can post that as well. When I started making hummus, I learned that I liked it much better Greek style without cumin and so I leave that out when I make hummus but use it in bean dip. I think the Greeks use hummus the way Mexican use bean dip. You definitely need a FP for these dishes. Lars
    ...See More

I Need To Purchase A Food Processor - Any Suggestions?

Q

Comments (1)
    duplicate, sending this down
    ...See More

Great Cyber Monday buy on Cuisinart 11-cup FP

Q

Comments (1)
    Does sound like it would have been a good deal. Mine is probably at least 30 years old but still works fine.
    ...See More

Food processor advice ASAP, please.

Q

Comments (13)
    What she said. I keep starter in the fridge snice I don't use it that often. I pull it out and feed it once or twice before using (maybe even 3 times if it has been too long and the starter is sluggish). I also keep some dried -- first because I shared it with others and had some leftover and then because once, while dealing with some parent issues at a really busy time, I kept my starter out and tried to keep feeding it, thinking I would find that time to use it. Then I forgot about it and it got really ugly. No rescue past that point, so I have made a point of having some dried. I have also been told and read that you can store starter in the freezer, but I have not kept it that way. I use my sourdough for pizza crust, cinnamon rolls, waffles, pancakes and breads. In fact, I think I will take it out and make come pizza crust. I do a first rise and then shape and put in the refrigerator where they can keep (tightly wrapped) for several days. Beth Hensperger has a Farmhouse sourdough (it goes by another name in another book) that uses sourdough and yeast, so it's a good way to use weak or discarded starter that might not carry a rise on it's own, but it's also a nice way to use it and get a nice flavor that isn't sour. It calls for a stick of butter, IIRC, for two loaves and is a buttery taste rather than sour. I've made it with half butter and half yogurt -- milder butter flavor and mild tang that is more like buttermilk than sour. All yougurt and no butter is a little more tang. I prefer at least half butter. I've made sourdough scones (those did have a little tang) and have seen recipes for sourdough chocolate cake, biscuits, noodles -- all kinds of things, so you can definitely use it for more than bread. I noticed in my email that King Arthur sent out an email with sourdough pizza crust -- think I will go get my starter out.
    ...See More
  • centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

I have a late-80s vintage Cuisinart "Professional 14" FP. It works great. My only complaint is that the top is difficult to take on and off. If I spray the latch and edge with a bit of cooking spray it becomes easier to assemble and remove. I can't imagine having a smaller one so I'd say bigger is better. I can't compare it to another brand as this is the only one I've ever had my hands on. It is invaluable when I am canning jams or salsa.

I saw several 14 cup Cuisinart FPs of this apparent age on ebay.

• Lars
    12 years ago

The smaller ones have uses also, and so if I were buying a new one, I would make sure that it had more than one size of bowl. They're good for making pickle relish and for chopping small items.

I used mine on Saturday morning to shred potatoes and onions for latkes, but otherwise I seldom use the shredder because I prefer grating with the grating attachment for my KA mixer. I do almost all of my chopping by hand because I have more control that way, and I sometimes use mandolines for that, but those require me to wear Kevlar gloves.

I use the big bowl and blade for pureeing hummus and bean dip (or other large quantities), and I also use it for cutting butter & shortening into the flour for pie dough, but I mix the water in very carefully by hand in a separate bowl. I use a hand blender for pureeing soups and other things that are watery.

Make sure that you get one that has a "pulse" option on the speed setting.

Lars

• lindac
    12 years ago

I have a 7 cup cuisinart....had it like forever...I use it all the time...
    I prefer this size because it makes bread with 4 cups of flour....and most of the time that's enough....if nor I can make a double batch. If you try to knead bread in a larger one, a small batch of bread just revolves and doesn't get kneaded.\
    I use it for all the things you mention....crumbs, cabbage, carrots for carrot cake, chopping nuts, liver pate..spreads and dips....slicing for soups and salads, chopping chicken for chicken salad etc etc....
    Linda C

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

I am sorry to say that for a single person, and mostly cooking for one, you don't really need a food processor.

I know that's not your question and many people here will disagree.

I do a lot of cooking for one and for many. I do not find it useful for me to have a FP.

Taking the FP out, getting it going, cleaning afterwards, and putting it away is a pain.

dcarch

• arley_gw
    12 years ago

Forgive this long post, but I wanted to post a recipe which shows the utility of a food processor.

While I have a FP and enjoy using it, there's a lot to what dcarch says. They are a PITA to clean, especially by hand. (with a dishwasher, not so much of a pain.) I generally cook for two or three, and only break out my FP for big family get togethers or other feasts. So if you mostly cook for a few people, it may not get too much use. But when you do use it, the results can be spectacular.

They are good for repetitive tasks. I'll make mirepoix ahead of time (2 parts onion, 1 part each celery and carrot), chopped finely and frozen in quart bags; with that in the freezer, I can make a pressure cooker pot roast without hardly any work.

They're pretty good at a lot of stuff. Not as good at precise slicing as a mandoline, not as good at mixing as a stand mixer, not as good at grinding meat as a meat grinder, but you have one appliance instead of three that does mostly acceptable results on all of those tasks. Where it shines, though, is being able to use the same machine for different tasks in the middle of the operation.

I'm going to post what seems to be a complex recipe (and it is, sort of) that the FP makes really easy. There’s a classic European dish of roasted veal breast in tuna sauce, vitello tonnato. Julia Child adapted it for poached turkey breast instead of veal. (It’s much cheaper and more tender, and it works very well.) This recipe is ideal for hot weather, especially for a luncheon for several people. You make the entire recipe a day or two in advance: the day of the lunch, all you have to do is take the dish out of the fridge and, if desired, decorate it a bit. You can serve this dish with a salad, or make sandwiches with it, or just eat it plain. Delicious. If you don’t like capers, leave them out; it’ll still taste great.

I’m reproducing the recipe exactly as Julia has it, but I would note that when I made it I found that the Dijon mustard tended to overpower the other ingredients; even though she calls for 2 to 3 tablespoons, I’d start with only 1 tablespoon and add a little more if needed. (I know it takes chutzpah to overrule Julia, but there you have it.) While it calls for poached turkey breast (and I include her directions for poaching a turkey breast) if you just want to try out the sauce, you can ‘cheat’ and go to the deli and get several slices of precooked turkey breast and use that. (I’ve done that ; works great, although it ends up costing about three times as much as poaching a turkey breast on your own.) She makes the point that you don’t serve it as sliced turkey with a sauce on the side; you need to smear each slice with the sauce and let the slices absorb the flavors for a day or two.

You can make the sauce in either a blender or a food processor. If you have a food processor, though, the sauce is extremely easy to make. In fact, my Cuisinart has a push-tube with a hole in it that is designed to drip oil at just the right speed for emulsifying with the other ingredients.

TACCHINO TONNATO from Julia Child's The Way to Cook
    (Cold Sliced turkey breast in tuna and anchovy sauce) For 8 or more servings

1 - 7 oz tin (1 cup) tuna packed in water, drained
    1 - 2oz tin of flat fillets of anchovies packed in olive oil, drained
    One-fourth cup capers, squeezed dry
    The grated peel of one half lemon
    2 to 3 tbsp Dijon-type prepared mustard (you may wish to start with just one and add more if needed)
    1 large clove of garlic, pureed, then mashed to a very fine paste with one-fourth tsp salt
    4 egg yolks
    1 to 1 1/2 cups or more virgin olive oil
    Drops of lemon juice
    Salt and freshly ground white pepper

One 6-pound poached turkey breast (recipe follows this one) or 16 to 20 generous but thin slices of cooked turkey breast
    Decorations: 1/3 cup capers, drained; coarsely chopped parsley; lemon wedges

The sauce. Puree the tuna, anchovies, capers, lemon peel, mustard and garlic paste in the machine, then add the egg yolks and puree several seconds, until the mixture has thickened. Finally, with the motor running, start adding the oil in a very thin stream of droplets, and continue without pause until three-fourths of a cup of oil has gone in and the sauce has thickened into a heavy cream. It will not be as thick as mayonnaise, but should hold itself in creamy suspension. Process in one-half cup more of oil, depending on how thick a sauce you wish to have. Season carefully to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper; the sauce should have character, but should not be too strong in taste or it will kill off the turkey.

Slicing the turkey. If you are using a poached turkey breast, discard the skin. Carefully remove in one piece the whole side of each breast from the carcass. Cut the meat at a slant crosswise (across the grain) into elegant slices less than 1/8 inch thick.

Assembling. Spoon a layer of sauce in the bottom of a serving platter, and arrange the turkey on top, spreading each slice with a coating of sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours before serving.

Serving. Let the platter sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to take off the chill. Meanwhile sprinkle on the capers and parsley, and decorate with lemon wedges.

Poached Turkey Breast

Set up a 6-pound bone-in breast of turkey breast up in a kettle just large enough to hold it comfortably, surround it with 1 cup each of chopped carrots, onions and celery, and a large herb bouquet. Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of dry white French vermouth or dry white wine, and enough water to cover the breast by 1/2 inch. Bring to the simmer on top of the stove; skim off the gray scum, which will continue to rise for several minutes. Salt lightly, then cover the pot loosely and maintain at the bare simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, adding a little boiling water if the liquid evaporates to expose the turkey. It's done when a meat thermometer, pushed in to the thickest part of the meat near the shoulder (but not touching bone) reads 162 to 165 F. Let the turkey cool in its broth for at least 30 minutes.

Refrigerate uncovered; when chilled, remove the turkey to a covered container.

• arley_gw
    12 years ago

Whoa, when I copied and pasted from MS Word a few symbols got screwed up.
    That mishmash symbol 'aetm'is supposed to be a single apostrophe '

• shambo
    12 years ago

I have a Cuisinart 11 cup processor, and there are only two in my household right now. I think I got it about 6 years ago. When my husband was first diagnosed with heart failure, I used it for kneading low sodium bread dough. LindaC was the CF member that encouraged me to use that method. It was perfect for making just one loaf at a time. Because of my husband's diet restrictions, I do a lot of advance prep and baking so I always have lower sodium things in my freezer. To that end, I use the FP to make scones & biscuits, salt-free basil pesto cubes, and shredded cheese (I find I use less salt-laden cheese if I just grab a handful of frozen cheese shreds). I use it to make sliced cucumber salads, scalloped potato slices, etc. And, of course, I shred/grate all the end pieces of the low sodium bread I make and use the crumbs for all kinds of things. Lest I forget, it's also great for grinding up nuts for the annual baklava baking.

LindaC also encouraged me to order a fine shredding disk and fine slicing disk. Now I'm set. I don't use it every day or even every week, but I don't think I'd want to be without it. DCarch has a point. It is not really a pain to clean, but it certainly is more involved than just rinsing a knife. Lars also has a point. You might want to look for a model that includes a small work bowl for smaller jobs. Or maybe you'd like to also get one of the mini choppers.

• janet_ks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the input -- I appreciate the time you took to respond!! You've given me a lot to think about. I have a Black and Decker Handy Chopper that I bought about 25 years ago, but as you know, it can't do what a food processor can. I'll watch the ads between now and January and let you know if I get one.

Thanks,
    Janet

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I have a 12 cup KA and wouldn't want a smaller one although I do have a mini chopper too. The KA did come with a mini bowl but I never use it.
    I make regular sized recipes and usually freeze things for later.

• lindac
    12 years ago

My cuisinart lives on my counter....even for just me, I use it at least 3 times a week. It all goes into the dishwasher, but for the base....so it's not a lot of trouble.
    You can buy a 7 cup model now for just under $100.....and I will guarantee you will get more use from it than you will a sous vide cooker, or a butane browning torch.

• caliloo
    12 years ago

".....and I will guarantee you will get more use from it than you will a sous vide cooker, or a butane browning torch."

Amen to THAT!

I use mine several times a week also. And to alleviate the problem of having to wash the bowl between each use if I need it for several dishes, I bought an extra bowl/blade/top which all go in the dishwasher when they are done being used. I have a Cuisinart Custom Prep II and just love it.

I would never be without one!

Alexa

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Mine lives on the counter, too, the only appliance that does. I live alone and use it continually, along with a smaller one for chopping garlic or mixing small amounts of something, as well as a stick blender that I drag out once in a while. Anything to keep from hand chopping or slicing!

I really consider the FP my 3rd hand. It is a breeze to clean in the dishwasher.

12 years ago

"------- and I will guarantee you will get more use from it than you will a sous vide cooker, or a butane browning torch."

If you are tormented by appliance phobia, and you need un-biased worldly advice, this forum's gracious folks is where you can get it from, which is my fault that I didn't.

It's true, I tried hard to chop a head of cabbage for slaw with my sous vide cooker, needless to say, I failed miserably. My butane torch didn't do me any good either in my attempt to dice an onion.

I should have known better :-)

dcarch

• Teresa_MN
    12 years ago

"------- and I will guarantee you will get more use from it than you will a sous vide cooker, or a butane browning torch."

Apples to oranges girls! And let's not forget this forum is about sharing ideas and techniques. All opinions are welcome except the nasty ones!! :-) And I am still waiting for how to make shredded pork with a leaf blower! LOL

I had the huge Cusinart and I found it to be a PITA. Then I got a 2 cup food chopper and now I have a 4 cup chopper I got at Costco. You can feed things thru the top just like the Cuisinart. It was $25 and is a breeze to clean up.

Janet - I can't tell you what the food chopper would do with cream cheese. You say you are single and don't have a lot of time for cooking. Get the 4 cup food chopper.

Email me for more specifics if you want.

Teresa

• John Liu
    12 years ago

I have a couple of food processors. The one that lives on the counter is a Cuisinart DLC7 from the 1980's. I use it once a week or so.

The main uses, for me, are:
    - Chopping meat for hamburgers, meatballs, dumplings, etc.
    - Making emulsions
    - Kneading bread dough, though now I have a mixer that I use instead
    - Chopping up larger quantities of onions and other vegetables for soup, sauces, sofritos, curries, or similar things where the veg will be cooked and mixed and mashed and drowned.

I do not use it for dicing onions, garlic, veggies where I care about getting a neat tidy dice. For example, veg for stirfry or salsa fresca or salad gets hand cut. The knife does a much prettier job.

A larger one would be a pain. I have a cute 2 cup mini-chopper that it handy for little things.

I've bought all my food processors on eBay and they are all at least 25 years old. In that era Cuisinarts were made in France and in Japan, and the quality was very high.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

John, I agree, if I want a nice uniform diceo I chop by hand. I can't seem to chop veggies without either getting big chunks or turning them to puree, so I use a knife a lot. My processor does have the small bowl, I've never used it a single time.

I did make a batch of cheese straws tonight, all in the food processor. It's for a soup party this weekend at my stepson's, so now the dough is just chilling in the fridge. I never throw away bread, it all gets made into crumbs in the food processor and those are frozen for later use.

I'm also alone most of the time, and when Elery is here that's still only two.

All the the food processor goes into the dishwasher except the base so cleanup takes more time than rinsing a knife, but it's not a chore that must be done by hand.

Next week Elery and I will make Italian sausage for the freezer. The food processor will be used to chop at least 20 pounds of pork, so it'll earn its keep and its place on my countertop.

Annie

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Every time FP discussions come up, I'm surprised at how much folks here claim to use them. Personally I don't consider a FP an essential tool by a long shot, but the few times a year I use it I'm very happy that I own it as opposed to making due (or not!) with other appliances or gadgets.

I'd guess that I use my mini chopper more than my 11 cup Cuisinart. And probably because I own a mini chopper, I can say I've never wished my Cuisinart was smaller than 11 cups. I don't know whether a 7 cup fills the gap because I've never used one, but mini choppers are relatively cheap so I'd probably opt for one of those to supplement a large capacity FP. That is, unless KA is still making one that has both a small bowl and a big bowl. That sounds pretty good to me.

• jessyf
    12 years ago

I made four batches of pizza dough last weekend, banged them all out in my KA in 15 minutes, then right into oiled bowls to rise. Couldn't do it that fast in a KA mixer or a breadmaker, or even by hand.

One tip I learned from Solsthumper years ago is to cover the bowl with plastic wrap if you are only going to use the knife blade, and not feed anything through. Saves one item from the dishwasher!

12 years ago

Are we still talking about FP for a single person cooking for one?

My uneducated suggestion is that, sure, it would not hurt to have every single appliance made, but if you have concerns with budget and counter space, then a careful balancing act is prudent.

Depending on your cooking style, diet preferences, and physical limitations, for a SINGLE PERSON, it may be a good idea to look into and compare the different capabilities of a food processor, a mixer and a blender, and then decide.

There are too many cooking shows on TV, as I remember, unless it is for a specific kind of recipe such as making coleslaw, I seldom see the hosts use food processors for everyday cutting for most preparations, and not everyone of them are professional chefs with great knife skills either.

dcarch

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Budget and space were not presented as factors, nor do we know if Janet already owns a blender and/or a mixer. What we do know is that Janet is looking for a tool that will "slice, dice and chop items for soups and salads...make bread crumbs and pulverize graham crackers...shred cheese and veggies and maybe make an occasional pie crust." I think it would be hard to argue that the FP is not the tool best equipped to handle all of those tasks.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

There was no reason for Linda's snarky comment about dc, however.

I do keep my fp on the counter but it is a pain to clean and do not use it for small jobs. Yes, it does go in the dishwasher but then my dishwasher needs to have the top rack mostly empty. I do cook a lot though and use it often. For small tasks, the small 2 cup chopper is very handy, and I will always have both sizes for my needs.

Incidentally, the plastic on the fp bowls and lids will dull over time in the dishwasher. To keep it sparkling it should be hand washed. I have two bowls, one is cracked, dull and the handle is dirty. I keep that bowl in the cabinet and will use it until it gives out. It goes in the dishwasher but doesn't reside on the counter.

Generally I enjoy chopping and would rather use a knife than clean the fp.

• jessyf
    12 years ago

Incidentally, the plastic on the fp bowls and lids will dull over time in the dishwasher.

I have never found that to be the case with my Cuisinarts and KAs. What brand are you using? Could also be your DW detergent and water. I switched to part Cascade Complete, part Lemi-shine, and my dishes have never been sparklier (apologies to Stephenie Meyer, LOL).

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

We have a Bosch dishwasher and I use Finish powerball tabs. (a crumbly powder tablet) Cacade rinise aid.
    The KA fp always goes on the top rack.

I have read that gummy type dishwasher tabs will eventually clog a dishwasher and are a leading cause of repairs, incidentally.

• jessyf
    12 years ago

I haven't looked into the tabs (I use powder only) but I've known the gels are no good. I think they are off the market. I've had luck 'restoring' my dishes/glasses with the combo I use, but I fear your KA bowl parts are probably permanently etched. Sorry about the hi-jack.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

My bowl is dulled, but based on where it's dulled I attribute it to use (i.e. stuff spinning around in it) rather than the dishwasher. That said, if I wanted to keep it as shiny new looking as possible, I'd hand wash it.

• lindac
    12 years ago

The reason you all think a food processor isn't a useful tool is they are calling it a "food chopper"...I use it for so much more. Early on I invested in a bunch of different blades, and can slice food from 4 mm thick to 1 mm and make a powdery fluff of parmesan cheese or chocolate with the fine shredding disc as well as coarser shred for things like chedder for topping a casserole, or stale bread for crumbs.

My bowl is dulled but not from the dishwasher but because it's been used and washed many many times in the 28 years I have owned it.

Stumpy....surely you meant the FP is the appliance that IS the tool to best handle all of those tasks.

As I have said many times before, I hate to give room to single use appliances. I don't own a crock pot (but for a mini one to be used as a dip warmer....which was a gift) nor an electric fry pan not a hot dogger, nor a bread machine. My oven and a castiron pot serve as a crock pot, another castiron frypan and my cooktop as an electric fry pan....and my grill as a hot dogger...;-)). And as they say..."It sliced it dices and makes julienne fries"...and indeed the FP does all those things...I have 2 julienne discs that do a fair job of making shoe string potatoes for frying or larger pieces for French fries.
    As for cooking for one most days, I also make soup for freezing, jams and jellies, bread at least weekly, frequently more often.....and have guests for dinner at least once a week.
    Linda C

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Linda - I said it right. I agree with you that it is the best tool for those tasks, and therefore I would find it hard to argue that it is not the best tool. :-)

• hawk307
    12 years ago

I agree with some of you about the Snarky remarks but I'm used to it after 4 years.
    Think I've aquired a Teflon Coating.

I gave my FP away along with my food chopper, to my DD.
    She makes Crab Cakes to sell.
    The food chopper was a hit.

I found the Food Processor did not have a good handle for lifting it up and down, chopping food.
    Also it left large dents in the Wooden Worktop ??? LOL!!!

I cook for one.

Get along fine with my KA mixer and Chefs knifes.

It takes about 5 minutes to mix a batch of dough and a few minutes to clean up.
    Even if I mix by hand.

As for making Sausage, I would use grinding attachments and a Sausage Making attachment,
    for the KA mixer rather than chopped meat.

When making Hamburgers with Venison I like to add Pork.

Janet:
    If you feel like buying yourself a Christmas Gift,
    go for it !!!
    Take ALL the facts and evidence into consideration.
    Put the word out, that you are thinking to buy one.
    Someone may give you one as a gift.

If you are not happy I'll take it off your hands.

LOU

PS: All my statements have been un-snarkled.

12 years ago

Off topic: dulled plastic

There are many kinds of plastic. Some very durable, as used in bank bandit barriers and scratch resistant eyeglasses. others will be scratched easily.

1. You can get polishing compound from plastic stores to re-polish using a buffing wheel.
    2. You can get polishing compound (not auto wax) for automobiles to polish away the scratches.
    3. Or if you an expert craftsman, you can try flame polishing. (Don't you try this unless you are an expert)

On topic:

FOAS, isn't it interesting that the OP's topic "Is a FP useful for a single person" is morphing to "Is a FP a useful machine for all" ?

Posted by foodonastump "Every time FP discussions come up, I'm surprised at how much folks here claim to use them. Personally I don't consider a FP an essential tool by a long shot--------"

Exactly my point, even more true if you are single cooking for one.

Posted by foodonastump " ------ What we do know is that Janet is looking for a tool that will "slice, dice and chop items for soups and salads...make bread crumbs and pulverize graham crackers...shred cheese and veggies and maybe make an occasional pie crust." I think it would be hard to argue that the FP is not the tool best equipped to handle all of those tasks."

Most of the thing a FP can do can be done by hand.

Not true with a blender.

I do consider a blender a must for all kitchens, single or not.

dcarch

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Maybe everything the fp can do can be done by hand, but for those of us who HATE to chop, the fp is irreplaceable. Op stated she hates food prep, her stated purpose for shopping for a fp. I think she will love it.

I'd never make coleslaw, scalloped potatoes, shredded carrot salad, spanakopita using fresh spinach, or a myriad of other dishes if I didn't have a fp, because I am simply too lazy to do all that by hand. Shredding cheese? Zip. Apples for pie or crisp? Zip. Crumble for the top? Zip. The list for what I use it for is endless. I am a single person.

Oh, and I don't own a blender.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

FOAS, isn't it interesting that the OP's topic "Is a FP useful for a single person" is morphing to "Is a FP a useful machine for all" ?

Gee, talk about morphing!!! What's a whole lot more interesting is you pretending to quote (and actually go so far as put quotation marks around) a question that was never asked. She asked for advice about size and features to look for in the context of the fact that she primarily cooks for herself and what she was hoping the machine would accomplish.

I certainly agree that most tasks can be completed by hand, in particular for smaller quantities generally used by someone cooking for themself. But that simply wasn't the question. It wouldn't be the end of my world by a long shot if I didn't own a FP, but I'm very comfortable stating that of the three machines you mentioned, a FP is the machine best suited to (quote) slice, dice and chop items for soups and salads...make bread crumbs and pulverize graham crackers...shred cheese and veggies and maybe make an occasional pie crust.(unquote)

And now that both your and my opinions have been stated shamelessly loudly, I vote we leave this thread to those who would like to join and offer their own advice.

• Teresa_MN
    12 years ago

FOAS wrote "I certainly agree that most tasks can be completed by hand."

Oh where is dear Jessyf when we need her to weigh in on this comment?

Sorry folks but I could not resist lightening up this thread before it got to OT or went too far south!

Everyone use the tool that suits you best!

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I've got a meat grinder for the KA, which I never use. It's faster and easier to chop with the food processor and to add to the fun, I'm short, 5'1". The attachment goes on top of the KA and then I have to stand on a stool to push the meat through the top unless I put the darned thing on a chair, I can't do it on the countertop.

So, as stated, what works for one does not work for others. I don't think I've used the blender since Ashley left home, she used it for smoothies but nothing else. Oh, I did use it for popover batter. Once.

Annie

• hawk307
    12 years ago

ANNIE ???
    Maybe you could wire yourself like Mary Poppins and
    float up and down and all around.
    LOU

12 years ago

FOAS, I always admire your passion in the precision of mathematical exactitude, However, I do not feel that topics in food discussions necessarily lend themselves to constricted legal lawyerly approaches.

I realized and did state and did apologize to the OP that I was not directly addressing her question, because I had a point to make that's related to the topic.

I also feel that the issue of a FP for a single person was missed by many posters. That possibly will cause the OP to make the wrong choice.

I am very puzzled that even for a family of four you have not that much use for a FP, and you feel it is wrong for me to suggest to the OP that there may be other options? After all, I never said not to get one, I am puzzled that you feel it is wrong to suggest to others to study options.

I have not said a FP has no application for some single person who has physical limitations, or food preferences suitable for having a FP, such as for olychick, I have not said a FP cannot perform well chopping, slicing, shredding, mixing, ------

There is another whole aspect about the art of food preparation not using machinery, as in Japanese cooking, and the pleasure of tactile relationship with your food. but that is a little more off topic for this thread.

"---The resurgence of handmade food is ultimately about a movement toward a more intimate connection with what we eat and where it comes from, what Paula Wolfert calls "the essential taste" of food. ---- "Without taste, smell,and feel, nobody can cook well."

dcarch

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

The reason that my FP doesn't get more use is very simple: I enjoy prep.

Perhaps the reason most people didn't make a big deal about family size is because they don't think it's much of a factor. After you made an issue of it several folks came back to say they cook for one or two, and I know that several who didn't specify also live alone or with one other person.

Let's not forget that many people like to cook in big batches and freeze leftovers. That fact alone pretty much negates any relevance of household size.

I completely agree with you that a FP is not a kitchen essential. I'm sure many others would agree. But most would also agree that it's a useful tool that they are happy to own. You knew that full well walking into this conversation, that's why you stated up front that many here would disagree with you. So why belabor the point?

Your opinion is no more or less important than anyone else's here. It's interesting to hear differing views, even yours ;-) and even if they're slightly off topic. But in the end, unless you're offering up evidence that there's a machine better suited to accomplish the tasks that Janet listed, in the eyes of someone who hates prep work, you're simply not answering the question.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

My advice is GO FOR IT JANET!!! If you would like a FP you should buy one. Treat yourself.

Just ignore the advice that you can do everything a FP does by hand. Of course you can chop grate and knead by hand. But I'm sure you already knew that.

I've had a FP for almost 40 years. Mine doesn't sit on the counter any more because counter space is limited. It also doesn't get used every day. But if mine died tomorrow, I would be out looking for a new one immediately.

Make sure you buy one of the better brands. Cuisinart or Kitchenaid. They will handle jobs like kneading much better than one of the lesser brands.

They also are not that big of a problem to wash either by hand or in the dishwasher.

If you really do hate food prep you will love a Food Processor.

Ann

• caliloo
    12 years ago

Hey Janet

I haven't seen much response to your question about how they handle cream cheese for dips and spreads, so here goes. They totally rock! I make a Hungarian cream cheese based spread, and yes I can do it by hand, but the FP does a much better job IMO since it makes the cream cheese a little fluffy and easier to spread. It is also the only thing to use if you are making a savory mousse (I make a Cajun Chicken Mousse that is piped into savory profiteroles).

Definitely treat yourself to a Cuisinart or KA!

Alexa

• lindac
    12 years ago

And it's great for making compound butters!

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

I was looking at the latest and greatest kitchenaid processor today. The slider to control the thickness of slices when using the slicing blade was intriguing. It has a nice wide feeder tube so you can put bigger pieces of things to be sliced also.