SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
c1nicolei

TSP, Deglosser not doing great job at prep.

9 years ago

I am redoing our master bath woodwork. Local Benjamin Moore store recommended washing all surfaces with TSP, then deglossing with PASO, them priming with their most expensive STIX primer. I followed each and every step to the T. I am trying to avoid sanding, not only be cause quite frankly, who likes to sand, but also I have lupus and my hands cannot take that kind of beating. So after 2 straight days of prepping, I am sad to say that the primer (1 coat) will scratch off with my finger nail. Let me specify that I do not mean that it is peeling, but I can scratch it off with minimal to moderate effort. Am I expecting too much that one coat should bond? Also I did not apply it thick, could that reduce adherence? I want to make sure I don't need to change anything prior to moving forward. Rather adjust now before applying second primer coat then color. Thank you for input. I have used Sherwin Williams paint before for many projects that has been sanded liberally, but the Benjamin Moore associate had me convinced I could avoid sanding on this large project with the above products listed. If it helps, the wood in question has a light honey stain with a varnish.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional