SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bessiedawg

Diagnosis: Puppy is still mourning

bessiedawg
16 years ago

Our little 6 month old doxie-Sophie- is still having a hard time coping without the older pup. It has been six weeks since we lost our Sadie. The day after we lost her, Sophie stopped eating. She finally ate a few bites of her food 2 days later. The most she will eat now in a day is 1/4 cup of dry food and it is rare when she eats that much. Some days she will not eat at all. We have tried all the usual stuff to get her to eat. Everyone here had great suggestions for that several months ago with the other pup.

She has been to the Vet and had a full body lab profile done and a complete exam. It showed some minor dehydration, otherwise everything else was normal. She had some sub-Q fluids today and started her on Clomicalm.

I am at a loss at what to do for this little girl. We lost our regular Vet last month so we are with a new Vet in the same office. I really like her and she seems really thorough. She is having us try some canned ID to mix in with her dry kibble since the ID is high in calories. We have tried other canned food mixed in with no success. I did ask about bringing another puppy into our home and she did not think that it was a good idea for now, although she didn't explain why and for some reason I didn't ask.

I am sorry this is so long. Does any one have any suggestions?

TIA, Linda

Comments (14)