SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Would my dogs be better off in a new home?

newhomeseeker
12 years ago

I have a heartbreaking decision to make- in April of last year I adopted two rat terriers. I was told that they were 2 and 4 years old and had been raised together and were inseperable. Was told that the reason they were surrendered was that they shed too much. Ok.. dog hair doesn't bother me. I have cats so I did some research on the breed and made sure to ask the shelter if they had any experience with cats. I was told they came from a home with cats and did not chase them. Nor did they react to any of the cats at the shelter. I wasn't allowed to foster them first so I adopted them.

Months later, I just don't know what to do. I live alone and am gone about 10 hours a day (working). I keep them in a large kennel while I'm at work. I tried letting them run loose or keeping them in my bedroom but they are too nervous and tear things up, pee on the floor etc. Recently the 4 year old has started peeing in her crate (that she shares with the other dog) I can't seem to stop this behavior. I took her to the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with her. I have never had a dog that would mess up its own crate. They both pee and poop in my house. It doesn't matter if I take them out every hour and walk them around until they do their business. They will come inside and twenty minutes later if the urge hits, they just find a spot and go. They are ruining my house. The younger one will sometimes go to the door when she wants out. THe other one NEVER does this. I was told they were house trained and though I know they would have an adjustment period they just never seemed to "get it".

I have tried giving them praise and treats when they go outside. This didn't work because they just want to come inside to get their treat, or if I give it to them outside they eventually just wanted to go outside and stand and wait for their treat and not use the bathroom. Also they do chase my cats (even though the cats outweigh them by several pounds and even after they scratched (the younger one yelps and runs) they still don't learn and chase them again with the same result. THe smaller one (five pounds) is a little more cautious but she still gets scratched once in awhile.

I can't even let them sleep in my bed like I used to because they will get down in the middle of the night and pee on the floor or chew something up. So they have to spend nights in their kennel too. I hate doing that to them but I have no idea what else to do. I have tried training them with rewards, with punishment (a newspaper, and a NO) and by showing them exactly what they need to do (go outside etc) THey just act so wild and can't seem to remember anything from one day to the next. THey aren't dumb (they know tricks that I taught them)

I have contacted the shelter and they will not take them back. I don't know anyone personally that I can give them to and I am very hesitant about putting an ad in the paper because just a few miles from where I live a guy was arrested for taking in dogs from ads or shelters saying he lived on a farm and would give them a good home and he and his girlfriend were brutally torturing hundreds of dogs until he was caught. So horrible it makes me sick. I do love these dogs but I now realize they would be better off in a home of someone retired or who doesn't work that could be home all day with them. I try to take them for walks to give them extra exercise but even in the house I will throw a ball and they will play for five minutes and be tired of it and lay down.

I'm tired of them destroying my house by urinating and pooping everywhere, I'm tired of cleaning up their messes (I have six cats and they don't make any messes at all compared to these dogs) and I feel terrible for the dogs that they are locked in a cage for ten hours a day and at night. I do take them for car rides (which they love) and make sure they get play time and things like that and they sit on my lap etc so they aren't neglected but I feel like I tried to give them a good home and I just have failed.

I have no idea what to do. I have considered keeping the older one, thinking maybe it would be easier to handle just one dog but I don't want her to be lonely. Any suggestions?

Comments (18)