SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamalapa

Just learned my cat is diabetic...

Maura63
16 years ago

First I will introduce myself, since I'm "new" to this forum. (I usually hang out at Organizing the Home, and lurk at The Kitchen Table). I am Maura and have been a cat-lover all my life. Growing up, we always had a cat (or cats) in my home - but they were indoor/outdoor cats, and sadly, they usually met their demise when hit by a car.

Hi.

As an adult, reading that first paragraph, that sounds harsh and irresponsible - but I was a kid in that household.

Currently, I own an indoor-only cat whom I love dearly. She is a brown tabby, going on 12 years old in March. I suspected she may have diabetes, took her to the vet yesterday, and just received a call that confirmed my suspicion.

Perhaps this is not the forum to address this - but I am going to be brutally honest. I cannot invest the personal commitment or the financial expense that will be required to care for her. Now that probably sounds harsh and irresponsible too - but it is the truth. My life, as-it-stands, cannot accommodate the needs of a diabetic cat. Tears literally come to the surface as I type this.

I've never owned a cat this age -- so this is new territory for me.

I guess what I am wondering from the folks at this forum is three-fold::

How long can my cat live comfortably with this disease? As of now, she is the same smart, energetic cat, responsive cat she's always been. (My suspicions were based on the fact that she is drinking and urinating excessively.) What is the progression of untreated diabetes?

And to what extent and expense do you offer medical care for your pet? I realize that this varies from person to person based on many factors. I guess I am hoping to alleviate the guilt I may feel for not treating this disease.

Finally, I've never had to make a decision to put an animal down (Is that the right terminology? I apologize if it isn't!) How does that work?

Thanks for any insight you can share.

Maura

Comments (23)