SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehphoto

New Floors, Painting Trim, Painting or Staining Cabinets

ehphoto
12 years ago

Because of water damage to our kitchen floor our kitchen/dinning room/living room floor is getting replaced. Right now everything in our house is the same wood tone.. the kitchen cabinets, the doors, the trim, the table and the floors. It's time for a change. We also plan to replace the counter tops, skin, faucet, range hood, and put in a back splash. We are most like also going to replace the white range, dishwasher and fridge with a stainless set.

This is our kitchen/dinning room now.

We plan to replace the light colored laminate floor with Engineered Hardwood Maple in a darker shade.... http://www.builddirect.com/Engineered-Hardwood-Floors/-Maple---Tobacco/ProductDisplay_8804_p1_10071541.aspx

But that would look awful with our oak trim. So I have started with painting all our trim white.

I'm still not sure if I should paint all our bedroom doors white too (they are a solid oak, as is our trim.. I would like your thoughts on that. I like what these folks did.. white trim and closet doors but dark doors.

Posts like these make me want to paint my kitchen cabinets white because they are so beautiful.

Or should we stain them dark, like these?

Or should we keep the cabinets as they are and just change the trim and floors like this?

If we go white cabinets this is what I’m thinking of doing: off white cabinets, dark brown counter top, and dark brown subway tile back splash. I would love the idea of having a butcher block counter on the island though.

I would also love your thoughts on the floor in the kitchen/dinning area. Right now the laminate floor is in the kitchen, dinning room and living room (since we have a very open floor plan). The dilemma is what to do in the kitchen. Should we continue the hardwood into the kitchen up to the cabinets or should we put tile there? If we paint the cabinets white I was thinking we would go with the hardwood. But if we stained dark it would get too dark. Right?

And please tell me: Paint? Stain? Or keep the cabinets as they are?

Thanks.

Comments (3)