SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

A problem with my mom

ms_minnamouse
16 years ago

My poodle Ginger has skin irritations. She has spots that are raw and red from biting. I tried topical products but they haven't helped.

I want to bring her to the vet but my mom balked. She doesn't want to for some reason. So as a compromise, Ginger's vet said to use Benadryl. My mom was against that also, she said she doesn't want her on any pills. Which brings me to a side issue. My mom doesn't want Ginger on any supplements either. Ginger is 8 and I want her on something to help prevent any arthritis. For some reason my mom is against something that could possibly prevent or lessen something tragic and debilitating.

Back to the skin issue:

She makes excuses and one of them is that she started doing this since I began making her home made cookies. This isn't true at all. I use different ingredients and she hasn't had any for a long time now.

Also, my mom doesn't want her to change foods to see if it makes any difference. She kind of listened once and got her a couple of small sample bags of allergen food. She said it didn't make any difference in her so we're not changing. These we like three small bags.

Ginger is obviously uncomfortable. I don't know what my mom's problem is. We're not financially limited, my mom is all for bringing her to the vet for check ups and vaccinations, buying her heart worm and Frontline, etc.

We all adore Ginger, even my mom, she's the family baby.

I just don't know what her problem is and why she won't compromise. Ginger has had this problem for a while now. A couple of years but it's getting worse. It used to be just her feet. Now it's her legs and thighs.

I'm in college and don't really have a job, Ginger is the family dog and is registered in my parent's name. I dunno how I would pay for it. I have funds set aside for my birds in case of any emergencies so it needs to stay that way.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get through to her??? I guess I could try going over my mom's head to my dad but he's impossible to deal with and get along with so I doubt that's a solution.

I have no idea.

Comments (43)