SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

working with a hypochondriac

susan_on
15 years ago

Has anybody ever worked with a hypochondriac? My coworker complains every single day of assorted health ailments. The office joke is that while she has something every day, she definitely "comes down with" anything I have. For example, a few weeks ago I was on antibiotics, and I was feeling the effects of the medication. She didn't know I was on medication, so she claimed to have all of my symptoms, including a metal taste in the mouth. But she just never stops.

Today she said she has the worst flu imaginable. She looks fine, and hasn't left her desk or anything. Well, then she started saying she had a stroke in the night. The supervisor said she should go to the doctor then, and then he went off to do his work. I said something like "oh, that's too bad", and then went back to work. But I rescheduled a client to come in to see her today, and she got snippy, saying "Susan, I'm not exactly feeling fabulous". I kind of wanted to say to her "Well, I can't exactly wait until a day when you're not sick, can I"? She has it arranged so that she does very little work already.

I guess she went to our receptionist, Melissa, and implied that I was insensitive because she's "had a stroke". Melissa said to her "You did not". Now she's being snippy with all of us.

I can handle her snippiness.. I'll have her laughing before the end of the day. But she's a lot of work. Does anybody have any ideas on how to deal with her?

Comments (22)