SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phish_gw

Help - my kitty won't sleep with me anymore

phish_gw
17 years ago

I have 2 13 year old cats. They have always slept in a pile in my bed (my side) with me at night. In the past few months, Oscar stopped doing it, but his brother still does. Oscar is very laid back and adores me and used to get in bed the minute I did because he loved to sleep with me. He still loves me and climbs on me whenever possible, just not in bed. He seems to be getting along fine with his brother too and my husband. I don't sense he is mad at me or anyone, just doesn't seem to like the bed anymore. I've noticed he/they don't seem to sleep much on the guest bed anymore either but they do sleep on the couch. Often Oscar is on padded chairs these days.

I'm really sad about this because I used to LOVE having him in bed with us. I don't suspect he had a traumatic experience with me kicking him in my sleep or something like that because he is SO laid back and tolerant of human mistakes that I just don't think something like that could phase him. I would suspect a bad back like when humans reject certain beds due to back trouble, but based on a cat's sleeping position, I don't see that being an issue. My bedding and bedding cleaning habits are good and have not changed.

Once in a great while, he will get back in bed with me but the second I move, he makes a beeline out of there (whereas in the past I could make any movement and he would remain like a bump on a log, to a ridiculous extent). He actually doesn't spend as much time even in the bedroom anymore, as much as he used to. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any other changes in his personality or habits.

Any advice on why this has happened, or more importantly, how to lure him back?

Comments (9)