SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scryn

How do you exercise your dog in the winter

scryn
17 years ago

Ok, for those of you in snowy areas, how do you exercise your dog during the winter?

I ask because I have a dilemma. My one dog doesn't play fetch or anything of the sorts and prefers walks. Now that it is winter it is dark before and after work so walking is difficult. We don't have sidewalks in our area although our roads can get busy. I pondered buying a reflective vest for him so he is more visable to cars (if they even care!) however then I realized that when the snow plows come by we may get hurt (because there are no sidewalks) and the salt can hurt my dog's paws.

Now, we have another dog but his fave thing is to play fetch so we do that in the morning and evening in our fenced in yard. My newly adopted dog (adopted last spring, so this is our first winter together) only wants to be outside to do his thing. I have noticed a bit of a personality change lately, he is just antsy, and came to realize he doesn't DO ANYTHING! He doesn't run outside or inside. He does wrestle with our other dog but not for lengthy periods of time. So I think some outdoor exercise would be great. We do go to parks during the weekends and he loves to walk around. However the parks are closed after dusk, which is now like 4 pm. None of this would be an issue if we had sidewalks. It makes me so mad that we don't have any :(

Can anyone give me some exercise suggestions for the winter? Both our dogs are Pembroke Corgi's.

Comments (24)