SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spiritual_gardner

One year ago today......

spiritual_gardner
17 years ago

1/30/07

One year ago today, my life changed forever. I lost my 14 year old dog Tara, that I rescued when she was a pup from an abusive owner.

One year ago today, memories of those 14 years started to flood my head. All of the good times we had. Especially when, shortly after we got her, she got a thorn stuck in her foot. She limped toward me, and I gently took it out. From that time on, Tara was my dog.

One year ago today, I also remembered the difficult times Tara had, both before I came along in her life, and after. She taught me so much, but especially how to enjoy life, no matter how bad the circumstances.

One year ago today, I began to remember how many trying times Tara got me through. I was incredibly blessed to have such a companion. As she got older and diseases and daily medications took their toll, when walking her, I often wondered how I would ever be able to survive without her. What it would be like not to have her be my faithful foot warmer, not to feel her fur again. Not to hear her bark again. Not to come to me when she needs help. Not to put my ear over her heart and hear it beat. Now I know.

One year ago today, God put a cat on my front side walk to warm itself. Tara noticed the cat, I opened the door, and she chased the cat, if for only a few arthritic steps. She always wanted to chase a cat.

One year ago today, I took Tara on a final, short walk. When we returned home, I gave her a Hershey chocolate bar. She always wanted a chocolate bar. One year ago today, I lit the fireplace for her, so she could lay one last time in itÂs warmth. One year ago today, I lit extra candles, so she would be able to die in peace.

One year ago today, I was again blessed with the knowledge and compassion of a wonderful veterinarian, who for the first and only time, helped me and Tara at our greatest time, where and when we needed it. For this, I am forever grateful.

One year ago today, I cried uncontrollably with my face buried in TaraÂs fur. The vet calmly explaining what she was doing and why.

One year ago today, I lost my footing and sense of direction. I am still trying to regain it. One year ago today, a piece of my body fabric was torn out. Tara had woven herself into my heart, soul and flesh. There is still an incredible jagged piece of that fabric missing.

One year ago today, I felt an incredible connection with divinity, as I felt Tara slip away from my embrace forever.

One year ago today, I imagined angels, with their extended welcome arms, shouting excitedly, here she comes, here she comes, welcome to your new home Tara.

SG

Comments (4)