SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazer415

labmomma

mazer415
17 years ago

Also, whatever a TPLO is, I doubt that it is common enough that you need to worry about it happening 2x. I have had dogs all my life and never experienced it.

*Until I got my current dog I never heard of a TPLO either and my dog had the ligaments in both of his back legs go within six months of each other. There was one botched surgery, but all of the surgery's were 2K a piece. A huge amount of money. TPLO is a procedure recently available to dogs who have ripped their ligaments in their back legs, they use to put the dogs down or would try and fix the tear by reattachments - at any rate these proceedures, or any unforseen procedure can be expensive and hard on any pet loving person.

Also, the 45 minute walk a day. I keep seeing that posted. Where did you hear that. I have 3 well adjusted, well behaved dogs. I don't walk them for 45 minutes a day. Come to think of it, I don't know a single person who does that. What exactly is the walking doing for the dog besides exercise and you can get exercise in lots of creative ways other than walking the dog on a leash. I would think that would get old very fast.

*Im not sure what you are thinking here, I take my dog for 45 minutes worth of walking where ever we want to walk, be it the beach, the mountains or the hills, sometimes I even take my dog creekwalking during hot summer days. My dog is 9 and it has never gotten old.

Our trainer, recommends training for short sessions, not lasting 45 minutes, rather 10-15 minutes a couple of times a day. Of course, a formal class will usually be a 45 or 60 minute class, but that is usually a 6 session training class that you are paying for.

*There are as many ways to train a dog as there are dogs. Lucky for you there does not seem to be behavioral issues with your dogs, great, I recommend walking this way because most dogs dont get enough outside time, people who are posting are posting because there are issues and walking like this can be an easier non confrontational way to work on bonding with the dog, It also allows for a dog owner to get a good feel for their dog and to let the dog know who is boss.

Lastly dogs are like 3 year old kids, they were built to move, everything about them is about moving, and in most peoples life this day and age we spend much of our days doing something other than walking a dog. Daily walks offer a chance to reaffirm contact with the member of the family most often overlooked.

I often see you questioningg the methods I suggest. That is fine by me, I dont care if someone agrees or not, I do know that most of the things I suggest - ESPECIALLY daily 30 to 45 minute walks has never hurt anyone and often helps a new owner or an owner experiencing problems with a dog to be very rewarding. I have yet to have one person I recommend this type of walking to come back to me and say they were bored or that the walk was creating more problems. They have come back to me and pointed out new issues that have cropped up, but never said it was not worth it, the complete opposite is the norm.

Comments (25)