SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashli_gw

Any suggestions for litter box training?

ashli
17 years ago

Several weeks ago, my daughter adopted another 6-week- old kitten from the Animal Shelter...unlike the other adopted kittens, this lastest one refused to use the litter box.

This is what I've tried so far:

I gave him his private litter box, I tried different brands of litter...I even tried dirt...I drove nearly 40 miles to a Pet Smart store to buy litter that was advertised on the Internet, invented by a Vet, who guaranteed that any cat could be trained to use it...(I don't know if you can name the brands in a post)...followed the instructions...the kitten jumped out of the box as fast as I sit him in it.

I put a large pet carrier in a room, stuck a litter-filled shoe box lid in the back of it...added food and a small bowl of water, put the kitten inside and locked the door...I turned a TV on in the room for him, and shut the door and waited...several hours...then, checked on him...he had turned the bowl of water over...and his paws were covered in sticky cat litter...(I had to give him a bath to remove it)...But, he had used the litter box! I was so happy...until, I saw he ignored it outside the cage and kept using the bathroom floor for his deposits...after cleaning,I sprayed some vinegar on the tile floor where he had used it, hoping he'd hate the smell and go elsewhere...and the clean litter box was on the opposite side...then, he started leaping into the bathtub to leave his deposits...so I put the small box of litter inside the bath tub...he will urinate in it, but doesn't even try to cover it up...and makes his bowel deposits on/in the tub...and scratches the tile as if that would cover it...

We've had many cats...and he's our first "messy" one.

I love him anyway.

Our Vet said that she didn't know why he acted like that...and all she could suggest was that we keep him alone in the bathroom for several hours with the litter box...

(I had already tried that)

We live near a very busy road...the traffic has already injured several and killed one of our beloved cats...so I'm afraid to let him out.

Anyone know any "Miracle" litter- box training techniques?

Comments (5)