SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Helping cat on a diet

I need advice for my poor hungry cat on a diet. She had a stroke in August and is on Phenobarbital. She immediately put on weight and the vet told me it stimulates her appetite. I began to ration her food (no longer feeding dry for grazing), but measuring both canned and dry. She did not gain any more but held steady. She had to be boarded for a week over Thanksgiving and I gave specific instructions on the amount of food. But they didnÂt listen and she blew up like a blimp. (2 pounds on a 10 pound cat is a 20% weight gain.) Since then I have managed to get her to lose the extra pounds so she is back where she started before Thanksgiving; but she still needs to lose weight to get back to a normal size, which was 8 pounds before her stroke.

The poor thing is so hungry now she will eat almost anything, even my daughterÂs breakfast cereal given a chance. I am whisking all food away or covering it as soon as anything is cooked. When she smells us cooking dinner she follows us around the kitchen in a heartbreaking way.

Do diet foods help cats? Do they "fill them up", like some high-fiber foods do for humans, so they donÂt feel so hungry? I have never had an overweight cat before. Any other suggestions for how to take the weight off, or to make it easier for her? She is eight years old.

Comments (9)