SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katzblood

Cat food and diet question

katzblood
16 years ago

My barely a year old male cat had crystals in his urine that caused a near blockage a couple of months ago. The vet said it was due to diet and handed me a brochure that explained about the condition and the science diet foods to go for it. After the pet food scare back in March I had done a lot of research and switched both my cats over to Blue Buffalo indoor formula since I liked the ingrediants and the fact that it had few additives. I didn't mind putting him on the prescription stuff at first since it was critical that the crystals be reduced. Now that he is free of them, though, and the task of feeding two very competitive cats has me wondering what to do now. The food they can both be on is still prescription science diet that costs 50$ for a 20lb bag and I don't like the extra stuff they have added. He needs food low in phosphorus. Is there some other prescription food out there that I can switch them both to or should I be looking at cooking for my cats at this point? Is there a diet out there that would be friendly to my male cat's system that I can make at home? Thanks for any advice you may have.

Comments (13)