SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivytrail_gw

Neutral Backsplash dilemma

ivytrail
10 years ago

I've recently replaced my old formica postform counters with formica IdealEdge in ivory kashmire. I'm very happy with how the new counters look, now I'd like a tile backsplash; I'm so happy to be rid of the old formica 4 inch backsplash. The picture below shows the new counters with the old wallpaper border that will soon be covered with tile. Cabinets are maple, floor is oak so there is alot of wood in the room that is of the same general hue. I've had lots of tile samples home - travertine looks pink against the countertop. Others in a darker tan or mocha harmonize with the counter but I think would look like endless tan and brown with the cabinets. I'm down to two choices: plain almond and a tan that doesn't compete with the countertop, sort of matches the undertones in it. My concern is that the almond is so plain; however it seems to look fresher against the cabinetry and provides a visual break, which I do like. Concern on the tan one is that all the fixed elements in the room are then either tan/brown or wood. I will paint the room in the future and was thinking about barn red, but that's just preliminary. I am drawn to the simplicity of subway tile and like ivory/cream kitchens where cabinets and backsplash are basically the same color. I do not like mosaic or glass tile, glitzy or metallic things. Don't think it's worth it (for me) to pay much over $6-$8 sf just to get a variation on ivory or almond. Does anyone think the tan tile WILL be just as neutral as the almond and that I'm just not seeing it?? I seem to be able to only post one pic at a time, so will follow this post with the rest so you can weigh in. Also going to change out the brass knobs to update that look.

Comments (48)