SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

suggestions for painting house we bought

loves2read
15 years ago

We just closed on house built 4 yrs ago...

the owners used painted trim/molding in entry halls and most rooms but stained medium oak for kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabs and laundry room...celings in most rooms are 10 ft--12 in study and dining room I think...

the trim paint is darker than the walls/ceiling

trim looks like sort of a med brown tone with some green to it IMO--and the walls are lighter beige--the owners used red as their accent color mainly

paint cans are in the garage--forgot to write them down yesterday

no colors on the blueprints they passed along...

dining room/study/one bed upstairs have south views

but most rooms have a north exposure because of the lot orientation and floor plan they needed

which makes light subdued--

we think the extra bed down apparently has a white ceiling vs wall tone--the only one that way==don't know why except they had a MIL living there and maybe she wanted it...

the master is pretty dark to me becuase it has no cross light --does not bother my husband as much...

we were in master bedroom yesterday at different times of the day and I swear they painted that room a yellow tint...

there is an oval recessed opening in the ceiling with recessed lighting around it--when the light is off--that ceiling is blue--did not notice that before yesterday either...

ALSO--I know that painting the rooms in lighter colors would help add some light to them...

question is will it be worth it---

because so many of them face the north should we consider the full-spectrum paint--would that make an additional difference to add better quality of light?

repainting will mean doing ceilings and trim in most rooms on first floor at least if we want a continuous flow of color

I don't think we can just repaint the individual walls with the most damage...which is basically what my husband is wanting to do...

How bad is it to repaint ceilings--I have heard that can cause trouble because the sheetrock taping gets too heavy and will pull when the paint drys...is that true?

I have a couple of painters to call for estimates--

will it be that much of a price break for them to do the house empty?

do you think I should have the pantry repainted== the wood shelves and walls have some scuff marks and dings

would you repaint the garage interiors as well

guess we should have bought a new house, huh--but they don't have lots as large or as private -- we looked...

the link is for the MLS video--you can see several of the rooms w/paint and trim

Here is a link that might be useful: house video

Comments (3)