SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

Dark grey interior doors: a few questions?

olivesmom
12 years ago

I recently picked a wall color and moved onto the kitchen cabinet color when I ran across the black interior door thread. I immediately fell in live with the look and now I want to paint mydoor as a dark gray.

I'm trying to give my 2005 built tract home some character. I'm aiming for a modern/rustic craftsman cottage feel. The plan is to paint the walls SW Taupe Tone at 40%, the color reads a warm gray on my walls. The baseboards, trim and board &batten style wainscoting (in the foyer & main hallway) will be painted a slightly warm off- white, maybe Picket Fence by Martha Stewart. The floors will be a medium pecan-ish color. Current furniture includes a simple rustic dining table in a walnut stain and a large squared leather sectional in a very dark espresso color.

For the dark doors I found a wonderful graphite sort of color, Cracked Pepper by Behr Premium Plus. It's a really pretty soft black. I also found Seal by Martha Stewart. It is a very dark grayish brown. I was thinking of painting the kitchen cabinets that color.

Will it look strange to have both dark colors in close proximity to each other? When I have all the swatches together it looks alright, but maybe the two colors will look off in real life.

Whatever I go with I need the darker color(s) to work with the brown furnishings we have.

Here are some photos with not so great lighting. First one is taupe tone on the wall with cracked pepper (darkest shade) then seal (more brownish) then picket fence. The second photo shows the same swatches against the leather sectional.

And finally, what door hardware goes with either dark color. When I was planning on painting the interior doors white I was going to go with ORB. Will that work with a dark door? I'm not sure brushed nickel is the look I'm going for.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!