SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Book of the Week

stacey_mb
11 years ago

The art of racing in the rain by Garth Stein.

From Amazon: âÂÂA heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it.âÂÂ

I loved this book, and my husband enjoyed it too. I wanted to borrow a copy from the library to refresh my memory for this review, but all copies were borrowed and numerous holds were placed. So this novel, narrated by a dog, continues to be popular. The dogâÂÂs owner, whose wife has died, is struggling to establish himself as a race car driver and is fighting his in-laws who are trying to take custody of his young daughter. The dog is a true faithful companion to his owner, living his problems with him and participating in helping whenever he can. A race car driver must be careful of the road hazard when racing in the rain, and these characters, man and dog, also have to be vigilant and adjust while traversing the hazards of life itself. The two companions travel the road together, but eventually the road ends for one of them. At the end of the book, we hear the words that the dog hears, spoken by his owner, which are surely the most loving, caring and devoted words ever spoken to a canine companion by an owner. A really lovely book.

Comments (10)