SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pawsitive_gw

moving day

pawsitive_gw
16 years ago

for the baby chicks that is....We are down to 4 hens that have been blessing us with the occasional egg for the last 2 years. Got tired of feeding non productive hens and buying store eggs, and ordered a dozen day old chicks. Got everything ready for the new group, carboard box, loads of newspaper, heat lamp, water thingy, feed tray, chick starter feed, the works. Well, lo and behold, not to be outdone, the hens started pumping out eggs. 3-4 a day!! Sheesh. I had offered them to a neighbor down the street and they have hemmed and hawed about taking them: no room, no shelter, etc. Fine. I'll keep collecting the eggs. When I went into the sunroom yesterday to change the paper in the box (a twice daily chore, as what goes in must come out and they are eating incredible amounts) the aroma and feather dust was too much to handle. Soooo....I went out to the shed, unloaded all the summer stuff, put a brooder box out, laid down some straw (not near the light, I don't want the fire department having to come over and douse the shed-explain that to the insurance company!!) and moved the chicks outside. At least I know they are safe from cats and skunks for the time being, until I can find a home for the hens and move them to the official "hen house". The other neighbors expressed an interest, I'll go talk to them. At least the grandson will be able to visit his favorite chicken.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!