SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_546347

Bids for exterior painting

User
15 years ago

I've have 5 painters come out to given me bids on painting wood windows, doors and trim where peeling.(referred from SW paint store) Of those 5 painters, only two gave me bids. Two just disappeared and one painter told me it wasn't the kind of job they normally bid because they had big crews and they couldn't afford to do this kind of job and if they did bid on it it would be more money than it was really worth.

Our house is a large two story with a lot of windows. On the front of the house they are true divided lights. There are two windows on one side of the house that are 3rd story height because of the slope of the yard. so it is not an easy job.

Both bids came in within $75.00 of each other at $3325 and $3250. One bid was not very detailed and he wanted to be paid on completion.

The other bid was very detailed, but he wanted 50% down. I am suspicious that he should be paid up front. He has a satisfactory rating at the BBB.

My husband talked to him and he got him to come down 10% and 33% up front. I'm still very uncomfortable with this.

Is this customary to be paid up front this way ?

Is this a red flag??

I had some interior painting done in the spring and I paid on completion.

Comments (4)