SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloudy_christine

Chocolate Wafers from the Fifties!

cloudy_christine
15 years ago

When I was a little kid in the Fifties, home-made Christmas cookie assortments always had a few chocolate wafers. They were very, very thin, and very chocolaty. This is one of the handful of foods I remember from childhood that I've been trying to duplicate ever since. No recipe I've tried is at all like them.

Now I have hope! Thank you, Granjan, for posting that link to Gourmet's cookies from the past. I was just thinking about you, and your Christmas baking, and that I haven't seen you here in a long time.

A question: the recipe includes a tablespoon of rum extract. How will using rum instead affect the result? I kind of doubt the ones I liked so much tasted of rum... I don't remember such a taste, which I'd have known from butter-rum lifesavers, LOL. That's the only liquid, other than eggs.

Here's the recipe:

Cream 3/4 cup butter, add gradually 1 1/4 cups sugar, and cream them together until light and fluffy. Add 1 tablespoon rum extract and 1 egg to the butter-sugar mixture and beat thoroughly. Sift together 1 1/2 cups sifted flour, 3/4 cup breakfast cocoa, 1 1/2 teaspoons double-action baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the sifted dry ingredients gradually, mixing well after each addition to make a light dough. Roll the dough out 1/8 inch in thickness on a lightly floured board and cut it with a floured cooky cutter into rounds about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet in a hot oven (400° F.) and bake for 8 minutes. Six dozen cookies are yours.

By the way, these cookies are not in the Epicurious site's search results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet: Favorite Cookies 1941-2008

Comments (14)