SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie53_gw

Cancer and Treatments

susie53_gw
11 years ago

Glenda's post about her friend she is helping take for treatments brought back many memories for me. First, I want to say to Glenda how wonderful it is of you to help your friend and her daughter. I can tell you first hand how much this means.

Now, a little about my story with the cancer thing. We found the Ole Cancer with a regular checkup. Thank goodness. I took radiation and chemo both. Cancer runs wild on my father's side of the family. I saw my wonderful Grandma for the last time on my wedding day. She took a turn for the worse and we had come home early from our honeymoon so I could see her. She died an hour before I got there.. A niece and I are the only ones still alive having had the dreaded disease. It took me almost 7 months to complete all the treatments. I took 7 weeks of radiation and 7 rounds of chemo. Glenda is right when she tells you about the people waiting to take their treatments. I met some of the most amazing people. My appointment was set up to go the same time each day. I saw the same people each time. I still remember a young man with 2 small daughters. He had brain cancer. I knew his aunt and she kept me informed. Sadly he died. I remember a beautiful tall redhead. She was divorced with twin daughters that were getting ready to start college. Her brother always was with her. She died also. I remember reading of her death in the paper. My heart ached for her daughters.

Understanding cancer is impossible. One thing I am so grateful for is that they have come along way with treatments. Cancer is no longer a death sentence like it used to be. One day there will be a cure. I truly believe this.

We have 2 daughters and 6 grandaughters that I worry about. I have made sure they have both my and my husbands families' history. My husband and I have both lost sisters. My husband's dad died of it. His oldest brother and his son have both gone through it. Every female on my dad's side as far back as I can remember has died also. Scarey, yes it is but we all keep on top of all of it. When I listed all the family members at my doctors he was surprised it all came from my father's side. He said it was rare. I only know of one person on my mom's side. I just hope and pray I never have to see any of my children or grandchildren go through it.

Anyone that knows of someone with cancer should never be afraid to offer to help. Even the smallest thing is appreciated. A special card or note in the mail is so heartfelt. Knowing you have thought of them is special. Don't be afraid to ask what they need help with.

Again, Glenda, thanks from the bottom of my heart you are helping your friend and her daughter. I have been in their shoes. I "know" what it means to them!!

I have always been one to help others. I know in my heart someday if I need help someone special will come to help me.

Comments (3)