SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xyankee11

clear coat over oil glaze

xyankee11
14 years ago

I've searched this forum. I feel that this question has probably been asked but I'm not finding any answers. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I'm painting & glazing my kitchen cabinets. It's been a long process as the first attempt with a latex paint & glaze didn't hold up well (the paint probably didn't cure long enough so everything stuck) and the color was too dark.

So after stripping them, sanding, priming with oil, used impervo oil paint & oil glaze, I'm finally getting somewhere. I've waited a week in between coats so curing won't be an issue this time. I also plan to wait a week or 2 after sealing before hanging the doors this time. The color I ended with is a medium brown color. I used BM impervo in valley forge brown as my base & oil glaze mixed with seed color paint. I'm hoping to use a sealer that will not amber as I DON'T want to end up with an orange or dark walnut color. Okay, I've always heard that you cannot put a water finish over oil paint but in researching on some other sites, I've heard you actually can. Has anyone put a water based poly over oil paint/glaze? I really don't want to start over again especially since the color is right now. Since I stripped them the last time, I've added molding to my doors, decorative molding at the top & base of cabinets and wainscotting on the end panels so stripping them again will be a huge pain. Any thoughts? If you've had success please tell me which brand you used. Thanks!

Donna

Comment