SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moveoften

Need a vote..Curtains or no curtains?

moveoften
12 years ago

Need a little help please! Trying to finish my small family room. I am not sure if I should have curtains in this room because the sofa is in front of the windows. If you like curtains then which ones look better. The yellow tone that match the walls of the grey that match sofa.

Any other accessories that might help please let me know! Thanks so much! I was not sure how to attach more pics so please look at link for other pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: family room

Comments (40)

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

You can post more pictures the same way you posted the first one. Just copy the HTML code and paste!

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I vote for curtains, but I'm sorry, I don't like either of the options you've shown. I think that with the dark blinds, you need something that will pick up on that colour. Out of the two shown, I do prefer the yellow.

• Related Discussions

Need advice: Ceiling Mounted Curtain Tracks (and curtains)

Q

Comments (6)
    I am doing ceiling mounted track and floor to ceiling sheers and drapes with blackout. This is essentially a custom proposition. The rod is made of standard components, but the whole assembly is custom. However, I am not doing a valance so the top of the drape to the floor measurement has to be perfect (and this is some measurement like (Floor to ceiling measurement) - (hardware height measurement) also taking into account location of the hooks on the drapes. I am also doing double traverse rods with pulleys. I think you have to use traverse rods and carriers to hook the curtains on, with or without pulleys because nothing can go over the rod because the rod is attached to the ceiling. You can get Ripplefold Drapes with ceiling track included from The ShadeStore and they have measuring instructions. But if you are making a valance it may not be necessary to do ceiling mounted drapery hardware, you could do wall mounted hardware and hang the fixed valance only from the ceiling.
    ...See More

curtains curtains curtains!

Q

Comments (12)
    College student budget? IKEA is your friend. Or, for any budget when it comes to good quality drapery panels, especially their linen and velvet ones. You can't beat their prices, and the quality for those items is excellent. You would need to look elsewhere for drapery hardware, however, as they don't offer comparable quality for rods, brackets, etc.
    ...See More

Curtain brand- need help finding these curtains

Q

Comments (1)
    Curtains in model homes are usually custom.
    ...See More

Do the curtains need to be the same?

Q

Comments (2)
    No need to match unless you want to. :) I think cafe curtains would look fab in there: Or find a whimsical, fun, colorful pattern: Another idea is woven blinds, which I think would fit your style well, too: ETA: Love your Talavera lizard … mine is by my back door:
    ...See More
  • pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

Im sorry I dont like either of the pics, for one thing the blinds seem pretty dark for that paint color or maybe its for the curtain color. Maybe trying to match curtains to the color of your rug or sofa might help. The curtains color seems a bit bright or intense. Im seeing a brick color of reed blinds from what I can tell, where I might prefer just the woodish medium brown color reeds instead, but it may be just the way its coming over the monitor. I do love your rug and sofa colors. And I may be the lone ranger here but I almost would prefer off white or white wood painted blinds if you want to go without curtains, though I would like both myself for light control.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I like drapes vs. no drapes.

I like the yellow drapes vs. the grey. The grey don't look like they match the couch close enough?

• fillagirl
    12 years ago

If you're going to use drapes, you should consider a darker colour to play off the blinds, and I would try to use the blind colour somewhere else in the room (cushions, table, etc.)

That being said, if you're up for replacing the blinds, I would consider a lighter colour OR roman shades, something with a pattern, pulling in some colours from your fireplace.

Have fun, you'll get great ideas here...

• ellendi
    12 years ago

No curtains. But, I would also like to see different shades, more in the tone of the paint on the walls.

• mpmg46
    12 years ago

What about sheers in place of the dark blinds? You didn't say if light control was imperative. The yellow and blues in the room make give it a light and airy feel, to me, along with the pic (which is beautiful) over the fireplace. The brown blinds take away from that, imo.

I prefer the yellow to the grey.

The other thing that may help would be to add a console table behind the couch on this side of the room. It would break up the long dark back of the couch, as well as provide a place for drinks when sitting on the sofa. It would also give you another place to pull the the room together with an art piece/statue, arrangement of some sort, family photos, etc. Just a thought. :)

• moveoften
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for weighing in! I really appreciate your comments.

The curtains were on clearance so I thought I would give them a try. I can continue to look but I want to finish this room soon sice we will only be living here two years. Plus I will be entertaining a lot very soon so I need this done ASAP. Any fabric or other curtain suggestions would help.

I thought I could make the blinds work. They came with the house, we are renting. I can take them down but don't want to replace them with anything that is too expensive. The rug does have the same color brick red in it so I thought they may work. I do need to control light just to watch TV during the day

I do like the idea of a table behind the sectional but not sure if it will work with my liquor cabinet that is close by

• Bobby99
    12 years ago

Sorry, I'm going to be difficult and vote for no curtains or blinds :) It looks like the windows open up to a nice backyard, so I would show that off. I think some sparkle or glass would look great to brighten up space - maybe a pair of glass candlesticks on the mantle or a mirror over the fireplace? Your area rug is lovely, BTW. Good luck with your space!

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I saw nice white sheers all across and no blinds.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Gee, I think the yellow curtains are perfect.
    Look how they bring out the colors in the FP and nicely tie the rug, couch & FP artwork in, too. I think they finish off the room very nicely...
    Do you have a coffee table there? A round bamboo one that mimics the blinds would be perfect! (or a small, bamboo ottoman...)

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i would vote for no curtains... they do not enhance the room hanging behind your sectional, imo.
    i think the pictures with no curtains look fine!

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

I think you need a print with both gray and brown How about these from Ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70174983/#/10112016

• amykath
    12 years ago

I think a gray or brown or minimal pattern using darker colors would be the best. Also, if you can, I would suggest pulling the sectional away from the wall a bit.

If you are near a Ross, Marshalls, TJmaxx or even walmart you can find lovely curtains for a bargain!

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Sophie Ingerslew
    12 years ago

ratherbesewing, I was going to suggest the same thing, though a different fabric. I think what you picked would definitely work though!

Here's another print on an ottoman that might work:

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow gray brown ikat ottoman

• dakota01
    12 years ago

I would start by removing the blinds - the color really doesn't seem right for all the grey that you have going on.
    If you do decide on drapes - I would mount them up as high as the picture on the mantel. Maybe a drape with some greys, creams and yellows. Love the ottoman that southernfrenchie shows.
    Don't worry about being ready for "company". Since my house is taking soooo long to complete, you tell them the room is "in process".. rather than pick something NQR for the sake of having something on the windows.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

(1) Shades have to go. They are too jarring with the paint color and overpower your room. They are the first thing I notice and the last thing I "want" to notice. Your room colors are very pretty-- you don't want those shades to take over!

(2) Yellow curtain color is fine. They blend with the wall and go with your sofa. The only problem is that there are not enough of them. They look skimpy. However, then you'd have to spend money on new hardware (curtain rods) AND more curtains. (Don't even think you can get more since they were on clearance, yes?)

I think your cheapest option would be light color bamboo shades and no curtains. I think white would be too cold-- the bamboo would bring in natural material that would work nicely to continue to warm the room.

One more suggestion . . .can you play around with the rug placement some more?

As for entertaining, your space looks lovely. Any guest would be happy to be in your home!

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I wasn't sure how the Ikea drapes that ratherbesewing would look with the wall color, but they do bring in the color of the shades and the color of the sectional. I recently saw these drapes at Ikea, and I'm kicking myself for not buying them for my home. Ikea is 5 hours from my house, and they are only available in the store.

Here are the Ikea Stockholm Drapes

and how they might look in the OP's home:

• blfenton
    12 years ago

So far I don't like any of your suggestions. If you are keeping the blinds then your yellow and grey curtains are not holding themselves weight-wise with the blinds.

The couch and the fireplace and the picture look great together but it looks like there is a hint of lavender or light plum in both the fireplace and the couch and if so (could be my monitor and old eyes) grey probably won't work.

A yellow might work if it tended more towards the light rust found in the fireplace and I think there is a hint of it in the rug as well. The rust would be better with the brown shades too. But they do need to be heavier.

• moveoften
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You all have awesome ideas. I think when my little one is napping I will take the blinds down and take a picture. I really like the ottoman that southernfrenchie posted. If I do a print pattern on curtains should I get a solid pattern ottoman?

anele~ I did buy 2 more curtains just in case and may be able to get more. How would you suggest I move the rug? I think the rug is a little bit too big for the room. But since we move every couple years most of the house we live in are bigger. I had to down size from 5000sq feet to 2200sq this last move. having a hard time keeping 4 kids clutter to a minimum.

I do like how the ikea drapes go better with the shades. Thanks for photoshopping them in the room terriks

Bobby99 I really wanted a mirror above the fireplace but could not find one large enough. There is a large TV niche behind the picture that I had to cover up. I may try candles next to the picture but it may look too cluttered.

I will keep you all posted! anyone that comes across curtains that may work for this room please let me know.

• moveoften
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are a few pictures with the blinds down. If I go this way I think I need more color on the curtains. What do you think? I also added a picture with a sofa table. The table is not the one I would use but just seeing if one would work there. I do not think I am a fan of no curtains or blinds. Needs fabric to warm the room up. I know the curtains are flooded but just wanted to see them higher. If i use these curtains I think I may use rugs to add some length.

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

could you pull the sofa out just a little from the windows? SO it is not crammed up against? And I like the Stockholm drapes someone posted above.

Your place is lovely!

• moveoften
    Original Author
    12 years ago

New pictures of living room without blinds in above message

• Sophie Ingerslew
    12 years ago

Gee terriks, I've never used photoshop but I was wondering if you could do a pic with the curtains but without the blinds? I actually like the blinds - they seem to tie in with the brown in the fireplace tile and the brown at the bottom of the painting. The yellow curtains get lost in the wall color though. (The paint color looks great with your sofa.) Regardless of whether you keep the blinds or not, I think the drapes at least need to pick up the gray in the couch. I do like the height of the drapes in the more recent picture. You have a lovely room, it's just going to be a matter of finding the drapes to tie everything together.

Also, if you go with a large scale pattern for the drapes, then a solid or smaller scale print might work for the ottoman. I'm not a fan of the sofa table, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because your room feels airy and the sofa table feels a little jarring. I am a fan, however, of the helium valentine's balloon on your ceiling : )

• amykath
    12 years ago

Move-

I can see them. Hmmm....

• angiedfw
    12 years ago

I found these panels on homedecorators.com and think they work pretty well to balance out the weight of your sofa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roshini panel --Earthtone

• missmuffet
    12 years ago

I vote for the Stockholm or the Roshini panels. I think what you need there is a bit of contrast, and as others have mentioned you need to move the couch out a tad. It currently looks like it is sitting on the curtains.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Move, I have 5 young kids and a house that is 1500 sq ft. I am right there with you!

I think it is a very personal choice as to whether or not you want contrast in the curtains. I am of the school of thought that focuses on the window being about the view, and not the curtains. The yellow w/no shade brings the softness of fabric without, "Hey! Look at me! I'm a curtain!" So, I love the no shade + yellow curtain look.

You do need more balance re: the sofa, but I'd bring it in through art and accessories vs. the curtains. I can see getting curtains that match the wall color and have gray, but the curtains you have are such a good match . . .I don't think I'd bother.

Regarding the panels, I'd add one more to each side except for the small window, for a total of 3 more. Since you only have 2, I'd put them on the first and second area and not the 3rd by the small window.

I think if you move the rug away from the fireplace and add some sort of table behind the sofa (and move the sofa away from the wall) it will help. Just a little breathing room.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to what feels right to you when you are actually in the room!

• moveoften
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I moved the sofa out a bit more and it looks 100% Better.
    I think I will hang on to the yellow curtains and do some more web surfing to see if I can find curtains that have some grey and yellow and maybe brown.

The home decorator curtains are nice but I think they are a bit too heavy in color for my taste.

Anele- thank so much for your comments. You said just what I need to hear.

• amykath
    12 years ago

Just to show both sides of the arguement between curtains blending vs. standing out.

This is my living room...
    {{!gwi}}

My dining area
    {{!gwi}}

I like both Hope this helps!

• moveoften
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aktillery~ Wow your rooms are beautiful. I love them both. I so wish I could just get custom made curtains but it really is just too expensive when I will be moving in two years. What color shades are in your dining area? I guess they coordinate with the furniture? I also like how the drapes in the living room match the sofa.

• amykath
    12 years ago

Actually, I bought them at jcpenneys. For the ones in the living
    I just used normal rods and added the fabric on the bottom. Very innexpensive. The curtains are actually a burnt red\brown color and the sofa is a dark gray.

In the dining my shades are a deep espresso. The curtains I also got on clearance from Jcpenney. I used those super cheap rods that are usually used for sheers...I don't think they make any cheaper and I just bent them.

Thanks for the kind words. Like you, I am now renting as I moved and in turn rented out my place(the one in the photos). I just finished hanging all the blinds and curtains in my rental. I sooooo know how you feel!!

Keep us posted!
    Amy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I like the picture with the sofa table and yellow draperies without the blinds. I agree that the blinds need to go and I actually think the yellow looks pretty-I do like tone-on-tone with walls and draperies. Since the home is a temporary one, I wouldn't stress over it anyway! Why spend anything more for only two years when what you have now will work fine?

The view to the yard is pretty and the draperies don't get in the way of that. Go for it and enjoy!

• loribee
    12 years ago

Amy...BEAUTIFUL rooms! These 2 pix are so helpful for Moveoften. (And, can we plse see the new rental pix??)

• amykath
    12 years ago

Thanks Lori! I take that as a huge compliment coming from you. I adore your house and love your style! I will post in a new thread my pix and story. Its an interesting one! Sorry...I didn't mean to hijack this thread. :-)

• cheri127
    12 years ago

I really like the yellow curtains without the shades. The room feels much lighter; warm and inviting.

Aktillery, your skill at dressing windows is to be admired!! I would never have believed they weren't custom treatments. The dining nook is stunning.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

If it were me and I knew I would be moving in two years, I'd stick with the yellow curtains and call it a day, then save money for my new home!

• avesmor
    12 years ago

I haven't read through all responses completely, so forgive me if these suggestions have already been made.

I would flip the rug so that it's parallel to the fireplace instead of perpendicular, if it would fit. Having it perpendicular kind of reads "landing strip to the fireplace".

Sofa table really helps soften the transition.

I don't usually like bright window treatments, but I think those IKEA drapes work very well to tie in all the colors, and really help that quad panel to the right of the fireplace stand out.

With no blinds the yellow drapes disappear into the wall, and with your couch up against the windows they aren't function, so at that point, what's the point?

If I can take a slight detour with a question for you -- I like bamboo/natural blinds. I've been back & forth about getting them for my windows (debating them vs. shutters), which like yours are wider than the average window. I think seeing your pictures has kind of made me not consider them so seriously. I've never had them and don't know what they're like to live with. Do they always hang kind of "lumpy" and/or uneven like that? Do you ever get the nice straight bottom edge when they're pulled up like you get with wood blinds? TIA

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

Are the yellow drapes long enough? It looks like they only touch the floor when they are flush with the top window frame.

• moveoften
    Original Author
    12 years ago

avesmor~ I don't think I can flip the rug. I will measure it out and see. I know the rug is a bit big for the room but wanted to make sure I could use it in future houses. As for your question about bamboo/natural blinds, I like them but not the ones that came with this rental home. I custom purchased them for previous homes and loved the way they looked. I think the ones you are seeing in my pictures are showing there age and the color is not very attractive. I also really like when the lining is not attached to the blind, I think it helps them hung more even. The ones you see in my pictures have the lining attached and they are the top down feature. I hope this helps, I think they can look beautiful in the right rooms. I wish I could get new ones here but it is not cost effective. I had a wonderful designer at one of our previous locations who would give me her cost for everything and I would just pay her an hourly rate, no mark ups it was great!

nosoccermom~ the curtains are 84 inches which right to the top of the window frame. If I use them I think I can add a little over 2 inches with rings.

I found some grey and yellow curtains at World Market that I may try out.