SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
utcarsons

Repainting wooden porch and concrete steps

utcarsons
15 years ago

I would love a little guidance and help from the pros here. You were all very helpful with an indoor project I had last year.

Anyway, when we had our house painted professionally about ...9 years ago maybe... they also painted the front porch and stairs. The rest of the house is still looking great, but our porch has been toast for a while now. Pretty significant peeling and some chalking. We are on bare wood in a couple of spots as well. We had used a dark plum color for the porch, and while I like the general look of the dark floor, it never looks clean (chalking).

We are tackling this project this weekend. So, sand peeling paint, prime, and paint... Anything I am missing here? I have never done exterior painting so Im at a loss. Any recommendations for paint or primer brands/types. I dont know if its practical outside, but I prefer a glossier look/finish. We also have concrete steps (previously painted as well) that walk up to the wood front porch which need to be painted... do I need completely separate paint for this or would an epoxy last longer...

As you can see...lots of questions! We are in Salt Lake City so I have pretty good availability. Dont mind spending a bit more since its such a small area (8 x 12 for the porch).

Thanks for any help!

Comment