SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julies_kitchen

Chair A, Chair B or Keep Looking?

julies_kitchen
13 years ago

Any opinions on chairs for this desk? The room is going to be painted the dark color on the desk between the 2 picture frames. The 1st chair I thought would be good for it's lightness, but I think it's a bit too light, both in style & color. The 2nd I think looks better in color and size, but I'm not sure about mixing its fancier style with what's already in there. I read or heard some decorator talking about liking something unexpected in a room, but perhaps my room already has the unexpected, with the modern couch and then colorful, folksy afghan (not to mention the 80's oak piano, World Market style desk, etc)...Any opinions/advice?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (37)

• bestyears
    13 years ago

I like B!

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

I like B as well, and also the lamp looks like it works just great on the desk (maybe not on the piano tho').

• Related Discussions

Doll High Chair B-4 and after

Q

Comments (14)
    You did a wonderful painting job on that. It went from so so to fantastic! I'm sure she will really enjoy using it for a long time to come and when she's finished with it, you can just sit a big plant in it and use it for a decoration. Luvs
    ...See More

Spray Painting Fabric B&A

Q

Comments (6)
    ML, you're welcome and, absolutely no rub-off! The brush idea I can totally see working, great idea for this one, thanks! Also, instead of saying "and the finish won't feel like paint" I should have said "the finish won't be rough". In other words, the finish wasn't paint-like at all, sorry for any confusion!
    ...See More

Pics of pillow options A, B or C (Or, none of the above!)

Q

Comments (9)
    If you're sticking to browns in the room, I vote for option C. The stripes look to be very close in color and tone to the leather of the chair, but, because they are dark & dramatic against a lighter background, you can see the pillow clearly from a distance. Also, the zebra pattern is bold enough to work with the bold fireplace stone. OTOH, I can't make out what color your walls are. They look beige, but are they pinkish or more yellow? Because the pillow's background color is sort of a maize I think? However, I'm in agreement with the others who suggest adding some more color to the room. Without seeing the rest of the room or any adjoining rooms, it's difficult to suggest choices. Regardless, I'd go a little bold & dramatic, else you risk an over-pale color kind of blending in to the point of being invisible.
    ...See More

Growing Zone 8a and 8b Palms In Zone 7a/7b Border

Q

Comments (6)
    Actually, I just remembered a long time ago my friend had a California fan palm in his back yard, and it was grown locally from seed. I believe it was in the ground for quiet a few years and it was well established. It pulled through the winters unprotected, but his neighbor hood "code" made him cut it down because it still had the beard on it and even when pruned they still did not like it, he was not so happy about that. But I think I will be going with the California fan palm. Our winters are dry and it only gets really cold here for about 2 weeks until it starts to warm up. I'll give it a try!
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Definitely B

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I'm in LOVE with B! WOW! But......are you going to keep the furniture where it is now? Or.....could that table be moved into the corner to function as an end table for the couch?

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

B It reminds me of the desk chair that the cute young couple had in the January Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

• julies_kitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW! It's unanimous so far. Are you all sure chair B isn't too fancy, with the silver nailhead trim at the top?

gwbr4, You're right--that lamp looks mighty tall on the piano, doesn't it? :)

Nicole, I could turn the desk/table 90 degrees and stick it in the corner, but it would be a tight fit. And I'm wondering if the wall where the desk is now would look too empty. Plus, my daughter keeps her guitars & amp in that corner space, and it's kind of nice to have them out of sight. I do have space for an end table on the other side of the couch, though. Would that be good? This room was difficult to arrange...

Another question. On another post about the lamps, someone suggested that I get a sofa table behind the sofa and then put both the lamps on it. I was wondering about a sofa table back there, but there's a window back there. Would it be weird to have the sofa table in between the window and the couch?

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I like B too. However, I'm not sure I like it with the pillows on the couch. sorry.

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

If you want the chair to work with what you already have then I say keep looking. Will you be using the desk as a desk?

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I like B with your sectional, the lamps and your drapes, but the pillow and throw seem like the odd men out.

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

Well, okay, I'll be the only one to stand out, LOL. I like the first one. I think the second one is too big and is too close to wall color. Plus I like how the straighter lines go with the straight lines of the table.

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

I'm voting for A. Though I love the style of chair B, I'm not loving it in that spot.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Julies kitchen, is that a Garnet Hill afghan?

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I'm loving B, even with your sofa cushions. I think you're on your way to a warm and eclectic room. I don't think it's odd to have a sofa table between the sofa and window - just not sure you have enough space to accommodate that arrangement without pushing the sectional too far out into the room.

• ummm
    13 years ago

I like B!

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

I really like B too...but not so sure when looking at the chair fabric with the toss pillows on the sofa.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

B. I especially like it with the dark picture frames over the desk. Pulls it together nicely with the dark leg.

• janetta_d
    13 years ago

Chair B, but not with the afghan and pillows; or Chair A with the afghan/pillows; or locate a Chair C that will work with the accessories.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I agree the lamp shades will get lost in the new wall color....but LOVE the new wall color as a monochromatic color scheme. I'm thinking the lamps behind the couch will be against a window.

You might test this out by sitting the lamps on a skinny box or stacked paint cans.....just to test out the look.

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

I think chair B will get lost with the paint color (and the legs are too dark), chair A blends better and works with the afghan (even draped over it instead of on the sofa).

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

Function over form here.

• kayec28
    13 years ago

Chair B. It's not even close. Gorgeous pattern that pulls out the tones of the sofa and also adds an exotic feeling to the room. Now having said that, how often would you be sitting in this chair? As someone who uses her computer quite a bit, it would be annoying to me to have a chair with no casters and solid bulk that I had to grab and lift with both hands every time I wanted to sit in it or move it back into place when I was through. From that viewpoint, the first chair, which you can easily grab in the center open space and move with one hand is the clear winner as a computer chair.

From a design standpoint, Chair B is too beautiful to lose. It should go somewhere else in the room if it can't be the computer chair.

I'm also hopping on the train of the sofa pillows don't really work. Have you thought about tones of soft coral or burnt orange for accent pillows?

• julies_kitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I hear many of you saying the afghan and pillow either don't go if I use chair B, or just don't go at all. And beez, yes it is a Garnet Hill afghan. My darling Mom bought it for me. I cried when I saw it in the box... :)
    However, it has so many colors in it that it really goes with any chair or couch in our entire house, so it could be moved if necessary. I'm not sure what kind of pillows I would put with the blue couch then. Also, after I paint, I was going to put up these panels to lighten everything up.

And I would like to say please ignore the hideous cornice, the ladder & work radio (we're prepping for paint) and the curtains aren't dirty like they appear. I promise. :)

I'm wondering if I should try to find some kind of white-ish slipcovered chair instead. If I did that, would I be OK with all the other elements in the room (i.e. lamps, afghan & pillow)?

I really love that chair, but I want to keep things casual in here, and I'm afraid to make the chair really shine, I'm going to have to go for a much more sophistocated look.

This desk is an "extra" desk that is used for occasional Lego projects, puzzles, homework, etc. So I don't need to worry about pulling it in and out all the time.

Someone mentioned keeping the chair, even if it wasn't the desk chair. That's an interesting idea. See at my first post in the 3rd picture down where you can see the whole room? In the very right hand corner is a leather chair that could easily be moved and the chair could go there. That might work well, if the chair isn't too dainty. It's really cute from the front too. Should I show you?

And neither the couch nor the chair show true in this photo...

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I'm with Sasha's Mommy I don't care for "B" at all in this room. I am so loving "A" though and would like to know where you found it as it's just what I've been looking for for my desk! I also think "A" would work better for siting in while playing the guitar.

• julies_kitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got the chair at TJ Maxx. I looked on the tags for you, and it's from a line called Metro by Four Hands. The model says Dixon and then linen. I did a quick search, and linked the store below. I see that the Tanner chair actually looks the most like the chair I have, as does the Blake Dining and finally the Dixon, though it's in leather. If you live in the Seattle area, I can tell you which TJ Maxx store--they had another one. It cost $130.

That's a good point about playing guitar. I don't think you could do that on Chair B...

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Hands Furniture

• fluffybutt
    13 years ago

I'm going to chime in again. It looks to me to be a fairly casual space, while the chair to me says "glam." Chair B is more of my style and I love that chair, but in your space, it seems too formal/fancy and it doesn't seem to be the look you are going for.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I would pick A. B looks too fancy for the casual look of the room.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

May I change my vote? After seeing the new pictures and reading about the direction you are going with drapes, I think other posters have it right to say that A is a better choice for the casual feel of your space. Then, you can keep the great throw and pillow which look terrific with your sofa.

• julies_kitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for weighing in on this. I agree with all the posters...Yes, I LOVE Chair B. It is cool. It goes very nicely with the couch. And yes, it is too fancy for the look I am going for. If I wanted a sophisticated room, the couch and chair, along with some glass lamps with silver shades, etc. would look amazing. And I do love that look, in my decorating fantasy life. But this is a casual home and what I'm really trying to do is take the modern Crate & Barrel couch (that my SIL gave to me and I love the color of) and make it fit in somehow.

So I guess the question then is, can I make it work, and if so how? I was going to change out the more formal curtains with the more casual curtains and then try to incorporate burlap, iron, black, lamps, a desk chair that would work with everything and little touches, like the little saying sign that's sitting on the desk. Also a photo collage wall above the desk, similar to the Pottery Barn one with the blue wall that so many people are talking about this year.

3 questions. Will I be able to pull off a more casual look with this couch? Any ideas or comments on my ideas for keeping it casual? Will the Chair A work, or should it go back as well?

I apologize for not describing my "style" to you all in the beginning. It would have probably helped everyone to know where I was coming from before we started. I have lurked here for years, and I feel like I know all of you, but of course, you don't know me. :) I have to say you all are so fabulous with your help and I thank you!

Just, here is another picture of the front of Chair A for you...

{{!gwi}}

• erinsean
    13 years ago

I really like chair A, then get a black lamp for your desk and if you need more light, bet a matching floor lamp...maybe wrought iron. Use your blue lamps on your buffet if you want to. Your colorful throw and pillows will be great...after you get the darker color on your walls and I love your curtains but would take the cornice down....dates the windows.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Oh wow it's even prettier than I first thought. Thank you so much for taking a close up of the front for me.

It looks as though the color might work with my new slipper chairs that are in the same room as my desk. Hubby just informed me that until after the kitties are all declawed we best not buy anymore new upholstered furniture. Good point. Joey has already done some damage on the new chairs. Which I keep forgetting to share picture of.

I wonder if I should check out the TJ Maxx's in our area to see if they have these chairs and just keep it away from the kitties until they are all declawed. We have four and are doing one every other week to help with caring for them, so if they have these chairs they could be gone by the time that's all done.

Gosh I love that chair! And yes, I think you can pull off the style you want with your sofa, this chair and the other window treatments. If you add an end table to the left of the sofa for a lamp and the second on your desk I think the cute lamps would work too. The shades in my Ladies Parlor are very close to the wall color which I did on purpose. Less "clutter" in my opinion.
    Here's a picture of one of my lamp shades against the wall with a tone on tone look. (This lamp has a temp harp since the other lamps that are in place didn't photograph well because of the sunlight from the windows.)

• julies_kitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will try the rearranging soon--we're heading out for some family fun now.

Just,

If you want, I can go down and get the other chair, schlep it to the UPS store and have them package and send it to you. I'm even willing to let you have mine, if you want 2. I've seen other people do that sort of thing here, when someone finds it at an outlet, etc. :)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

That is so sweet of you Julie!
    But there's a good chance I'll find one at one of our local stores. We have at least two if not three or four stores within fifty miles of us. This way I can make sure they match the fabric in our slipper chairs. And with having four cats to declaw and get updated on their shots I may not have enough money left to pay for the chair and shipping!

If only they had that chair at Pier 1. I have a hundred dollar gift card for there and can't find anything I want!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

justgotabme......OK....Where did you buy THAT tripod desk lamp? It's perfect for MY desk and my seaches aren't pulling it up....

and julies_kitchen.....that would be a cute casual look for your desk also.....?

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Nicole, I bought them at Target. I have three, the one pictured I'll be turning into a floor lamp by making new longer extension legs. They're only $29.99. No harp or shade, but still an awesome price. They call them surveyor lamps. I was planning on purchases the Wood Twist Lamps from Pier one, but in person they don't look like real wood. I'm a wood snob. If they are wood it's most likely a wood product with a faux grain "stain".

Here is a link that might be useful: Target Surveyor table lamp base

• nicole__
    13 years ago

justgotabme....I was googling "tripod lamp"....oops! Thx!!! :0) I'll get one!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

And you didn't find any? Hmmmm.... I Googled Tripod when searching for a floor lamp to match and found loads of them. All cost more than I wanted to pay when we have the router bit that can turn a piece of wood into longer legs, so I bought an extra table lamp. Hubby's been working on the trim for doors and windows right now so he's not had time to change the router bit for me. I'm in no hurry though. I'd rather he work on the trim.

• jiggreen
    13 years ago

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chair B, but I don't think it works in that casual of a space, and to me, the dark legs look out of place with the other wood tones in the room. Heck, I like that chair so much I'd redecorate the whole room AROUND it..LOL! Chair A matches better, but it bores me.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!