SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkshop

Kitchen lighting - size of recessed LED cans

tkshop
11 years ago

Could really use your lighting expertise here! We are in the midst of kitchen addition/remodel. The kitchen space is roughly 15' x 15'. We will have a vaulted ceiling (12' peak) over 10' length of the space and the remaining 5' will be flat at 10' 1/2". There is a kitchen window with arched upper transoms and a 7' island centered in the vaulted space. Hopefully that makes a bit of sense.

Anyway, we will be having 6 recessed cans in the vaulted space and 2 pendants over the island. We live in California and have very specific energy requirements and therefore have to use high efficiency recessed cans. I prefer the look of the LED to fluorescent, so the plan is to use recessed LEDs. Because the area is a vaulted ceiling, we have to use recessed cans for a sloped ceiling.

I was planning to use the 2700 color 900 lumens 6" slope cans from Juno. But then a designer friend told me that the 6" cans are dated and out-of-vogue. Is this true?

Juno does no manufacture a smaller sloped can, but the CSLighting company manufactures a 3" adjustable recessed LED. Is this too small to use in a 11+ foot ceiling? I don't want my space to look dated, but I want to make sure that there is enough light.

Please help!!

Comments (11)