SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan09_gw

parents of estranged adult children

jan09
16 years ago

I too have been where all of you are. I am so happy to have found a site that seems to be "a need" in so many others lives as mine. I have felt so alone. My situation is somewhat different. I have three sons all of whom are in some form or other estranged from my husband myself and my only daughter. For three years now I have been in this difficult situation. I have never felt so low in my life. Until recently..... I made up my mind ( with my husbands help) to just walk away from all the pain. It has been horrible as many of you have witnessed for yourselves. I am lucky to have at least a good support group surrounding me. Many of you do not, I am sorry. But, here is where many of us can help each other now. I had (what I thought to be ) a wonderful daughter in law. She is now, in my eyes, the devil in disguise. At least If could blame her enitrely I would but, i can't not really, not totally. My son must be weak to allow her to destroy the beautiful family I thought I had raised. Because I stuck up for her to my son, I now have no communication with my grandchildren or my son or his two brothers ! The details are simple. My son wanted to leave her. His words were "She is a liar ! Everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie and she steals too !" (She stole a large sum of money from her mother and also from my son.) Knowing he loved her I said to him "Go back to her and your children. They are your family now. You would never be happy without them. " WEll, now I don't see any of them. And I believe my DIL turned my other son's and their girlfriends against me too. The funny thing is no one will talk about it ! My husband and I and my daughter don't even know what we did to deserve the treatment we are getting. And, when questioned nothing substantial ever comes out of their mouths, then they run away and stay gone. It just seems these kids (not really kids any longer) don't want to be held accountable for their actions ! They take the easy way out of everything ! By not confronting the problem it doesn't exist ! What a cowardice way to live as far as I am concerned. I am sick of it all. I will no doubt find a family deserving of my generosity this Christmas to spoil. My son's have taken my checks I send, cash them and never even let me know they received them ! No even a Thanks ! I cannot reward bad behaviour any longer. Overwith !! My daughter has been my saving grace. She is so much more mature than my sons. And, I never saw this before. What a difference. I know how I raised my sons and saw my mother go thru the same thing with six sons. DIL's can be so jealous of the relationships their husbands have with their mothers. I don't understand this as I have always had a wonderful realtionship with my mother in law. I will welcome any comments.... thanks for listening. Jan

Comments (70)

• SOMEONESTOLEDMYHEART
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

To Ms minnamouse, Not sure where ever you got that more than one of my kids is estranged. ONE
    Also she did not just cut out her Mother she cut out her entire family and friends including life long friends!
    And yes I take full responsibility for any thing I personally have done to hurt or offend her Im not that kind that is blinded by her own faults. All parents make mistakes, all I know Is that I love her with all of my heart and soul and all that is with in me and always have and have. But it's hard to apologize for something if you have no idea what so ever why they stopped talking another words she has never verbalized that I/we are responsible for anything.

• ms_minnamouse
    12 years ago

Did you stop to think that I may have been addressing the person who started this thread? I don't know where you come in.

• Related Discussions

For those whose adult children are estranged....

Q

Comments (27)
    Hello, i'm new to this, but felt i really needed to reach out because i feel i'm at my darkest hour and i really need someone to tell me i'm not alone. I have two children, ages 19 (daughter) and 16(son), their father and i divorced 6 years ago, and under special circumstances, he was the primary guardian and i the secondary one. In 2007 i made the worst decision of my life, i had gotten remarried to someone in Jordan, i was only supposed to be there for three months. 1 year and a half later, i finally managed to escape and come back home. My ordeal in Jordan was severely traumatic, i was severely abused, tortured, and left for dead. I remember calling my ex-husband here in canada to help me because i knew i would die there if someone didn't get me out, what i got was 'you made your bed, you can lie in it, as for the children, if you ever want to see them again, you'll have to go through family court'. When i heard the dial tone i felt all was lost. Somehow, i made it back, the only thing keeping me alive everyday i was tortured was the thought of seeing my children again ( my children and i were extremely close before i left, and i never foresaw that my passport and all my ID would be taken,,). Once i came back i was in for a huge shock. In the time that i was gone, it didn't take long for my ex-husband to tell the children that i had chosen to stay and didn't want anything to do with them. They were so young, and he broke their hearts, i never knew any of this until i had come back. I came back in 2009 and i have tried everything, i was patient and i loved them without bounds, and over and over again i tried to prove myself to them, but the damage has been done. With all of this, i moved back with my parents and my children are with their father on a military base. They are only 4 hours away, but i am not to call, write, or even visit. My daughter has told me she wants nothing to do with me, as for my son, his father has told him he wants nothing to do with me, but that if he wants to he can. What child would ever go against their parent if they're the one with the money and house, etc.? I'm in school and am graduating in about 2 weeks. Once i get a salary, i'll be saving money to get my own place, etc. Not a night goes by where i don't cry or miss my children so much that the pain is killing me everyday, i really feel i have no purpose in life anymore, my children were my world, and they don't want to have anything to do with me, it's been like this since i left, but even worse since 2009. My daughter has openly admitted that she could not care if i lived or died and wants no communication from me, as for my son, he will not communicate at all, they have my phone number and email,,but nothing,,,i feel this pain will completely crush me and i have no idea what to do,,,the oeverwhelming hatred i feel for my ex is also wearing me out,,,i just want to know if things do get better as time goes by, and if it doesn't, how do i go on living when i hear their voices in my head from when they were young children all the time?
    ...See More

Money and Estranged Adult Children

Q

Comments (77)
    Thanks to all who have shared on this thread. I too am an estranged mother from an adult son. I used to be the one saying to other estranged parents that they must have done something wrong to deserve it. No child would ever willingly want to cut off good, caring, loving parents. Then, it happened to me and I was in shock and disbelief because I am always the one OTHER people turned to for help with their children. I am a therapist, after all, and I know about interpersonal relationships - right? I spent my whole life teaching others "how to do it correctly and in a healthy way"! How shocking and shameful it was when this happened to me! Not me!! How and why could this happen?!? The past five years have been grueling to say the least. I do understand the suicide attempts by some and the difficulty moving forward with life. I read everything I can find from children who have cut off parents to try to figure out what I can do to fix it. I read the comments by those on this thread that tell us what we have done wrong. So, I have apologized repeatedly for anything and everything I have done to make my child hurt. I have repeatedly reached out to him as have multiple family members and his best friend and other friends to try to heal the rift. Every time I reach out, there is some new reason he and his wife are hurt. Some of the things they accuse me of are not true. I know they are not true because they are about how I feel - that I don't really care about them or that I don't really love them or I behaved in a certain way because I wanted to disrespect them. I can honestly say that all I want from them or anyone is to have a nice time and to love each other. They misinterpret everything I do. I still apologize but only I know how I really feel and what my true intentions were. They can't tell me that. Still, I apologize. Finally, my husband and adult daughter and other son told me to stop apologizing. They said it was making it worse and not better. They saw my pain and desperation and helplessness and it was destroying them. So, they told me to stop because they could not take the pain. So, I stopped. With regard to what CJH Design wrote about gravitating toward pleasure and away from pain, I will say this. My parents have not been easy to deal with. They are controlling and focus only on themselves. I am expected to do everything for them and they still complain. No matter how much I do, it has never been good enough and they always expect more. I have tried and tried to make them happy and I have become a major people pleaser and caregiver in my life, sacrificing everything for the wellbeing of others and especially my family. My father is older and my mother has died. I take care of him every day and it is very difficult because of how critical he is. It is not pleasant to be around him most days but I still do it. I don't do it because it is pleasurable. I do it because I love him and that is what love is. It is unselfish and it is giving, even when it is not easy or pleasant. I also remember how many times I did this for my children when they were difficult to deal with and it was not at all pleasant to care for them, give up dreams that I had, deal with the pain of their behaviors, and work full time to support them. I could have left them and gone out for more pleasurable times when I was young like some parents do instead of hanging in there, parenting when it was very difficult and certainly not fun to deal with temper tantrums, snot, sickness, and endless needs. Not fun at all. Parenting is the most difficult job on the planet and it takes a dedication to stick with it and not run from it toward a life of fun and pleasure. I believe that being unselfish and giving to others is an important value and I try to do it in my life. I also have empathy and compassion for my father because of what he has been through in his life, which I won't go into because it would take all day. I would never dream of cutting him off. My heart hurts too much when I think about the pain it would cause him. I could never do that to him, no matter how he treats me. He does not have to be pleasant all the time for me to be around him, care for him, and stay with him. I think that is what love is really. Another example: In my work I go into jails to help people in trouble with the law. I hate being locked in when I go to jails because I have a phobia. I get paid very little and the courts are not nice to me. It is definitely not pleasant. I don't do it for the pleasure or money. I do it because I want to try to help and because I believe that doing things that are right is not always easy. People do things for pleasure but I have found that meaning and purpose can come out of things we do that require a willingness to set our own desires aside for someone else or for a greater good. This is what I have learned from my estrangement from my son: Karma: I recognize there is a lesson in this for me. What am I being taught by the universe? I have struggled with this long and hard and I think I have learned that I needed too much from my son. I think I relied on him to make me happy because of the difficult relationship with my parents. I need to let him have his own life and make his own decisions. I need to move on and figure out what I need myself and not rely on him so much. I also think I learned that I have been too critical and judgmental of others in my life. I need to try to be more understanding, compassionate, and less focused on who is right and who is wrong. Money: I gave my son everything he ever needed. I paid for his degree, paid for him to travel all over the world, and paid for several cars, and for anything else he needed ever. He now has a good job and is making far more than I ever did. I had to work several jobs to give him what he needed. He does not need my money now but the rift did seem to be about money as far as I can tell. Here is what I have decided I need to do to find meaning in life: I am going to use the money I earn and have to give to others in the world who don't have anything. I am going to travel with organizations that help others and use my money to help them. I am going to give of myself also, because that is more important than just giving money. I am going to try to improve the things for other people around the world who have far less than any of us. That is going to give me meaning and purpose and is something that I always wanted to do when I was raising my children. My daughter has indicated that she wants to do this with me and she shares in the vision. It gives me so much joy and pride to have her with me on this journey. I hope that some day my son will come back and have a relationship with me and with his family. His sister and brother are very angry with him and he does have a spouse that encouraged the cut-off from us. I hope that we can heal eventually but I am not sure if he even values his family at this point. What I have learned is that it is his decision and I must let him figure out his own life and not expect him to be there for me. I can accept this now and I am starting to have some peace so I must be on the right track. Life is a struggle and we all need to work to figure out what we are supposed to learn about ourselves. What you all have written in this thread has helped me a lot to continue figure things out myself.
    ...See More

mothers estranged from adult children

Q

Comments (169)
    It's been close to 4 years from where this all started. The disrespect from my grown son escalated to the point where I told him to leave. His anger was out of control. My ex and I were separated due to his extra marital affairs. I felt I had to jolt him back to reality but instead he went to live with his father which made things worse. I kept the doors open, texting him often, telling him I love him and telling him that I didn't want this to be a permanent thing but his anger towards me got worse. Lashed out at me towards household things that "belonged to his father". Screamed and cursed at me. Many remarks about "this is my fathers house". Telling me that I was the reason for his anger. And with each explosion, I still kept the doors open. The final straw for me was a text that he sent me saying that "im sorry that you damaged me but I will no longer be controlled and manipulated". Those words cut me so deep. I still can't get past it. I was the mother who went to extremes to make sure my kids were never damaged emotionally. The mother who wanted my kids to always see both parents sitting in the stands at their games to have that memory forever, not knowing that I made their father go to the game. The mother who protected them from knowing of their fathers first affair because I thought it was a mistake and these kids shouldn't lose respect for their dad or look at him badly. I wanted them to be proud of their parents. I would have stayed in a loveless marriage so they would always feel safe and always feel like they had a home base. And he says those words to me? I damaged him. At that point I wasn't taking anymore. All communication stopped. I thought he's not hearing from me now he will realized what he has said and done and I thought the lightbulb will go on and then he will come back and tell me he is so sorrry for that and all the undeserved disrespect. One month later I get a happy birthday text. I dont respond. The next month Merry Christmas. Again I dont respond. The remorse and apology never comes. Eventually the pleasantry text continue for both of us. Only holidays. Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday but nothing on Mothers Day. Obviously, everyone on this post understands that hurt. The day to celebrate the person who raised you, loved you, took care of you, gave you a good life and I get nothing. That's a hurt beyond words. This is the son that I was so close to. Always close to. Never could have imagined this happening. I miss my son but I feel like he needs to come back to me. I can forgive him but I can't forgive if hes not sorry and if he thinks what he did was acceptable. I won't allow him to treat me that way. At this point I feel like this is the way it is and the way it will be and I will never stop loving him in my heart and will never stop hurting in my heart.
    ...See More

Estranged Adult children

Q

Comments (39)
    I am the mother of a son who is 34. My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was very young. His father and I divorced when he was almost 3. It was just he and I until I remarried when he was 11. I have always been there for my son. He was very active and is very bright, but could not focus very well in school. He didn't have a mean bone in his body. He was never aggressive. He did attend college for a year, but dropped out. No one is perfect. I made mistakes, but I have always loved my son and really tried to be a loving and caring mom. He was very immature, but around 30 years old I saw him begin to mature. Every time we talked on the phone he would end each conversation with "I love you Mom". He has had a girlfriend for about the last 4 years. I have never interfered with his choices of friends since he's been grown. I will be honest here. I'm not very fond of his girlfriend. She has a lot of issues. She was abandoned by her mother when she was a baby and I don't think she got much love from her stepmother. She is very domineering and moody. With all honesty I can say I have never said an unkind word to her. I have shown her kindness. I took care of her daughter for 9 days (who was 11 years old) when she and my son went on vacation. They didn't give the child any money nor did she thank us when they returned. I bought her daughter (who likes to paint) brushes, paint, drawing pads, etc. and was glad to do it. I know I'm getting pretty wordy, but I need to vent. Their relationship has been rocky. My son would come home after a fight until I told him that he could not continue to run home every time they had a fight. I told him he had to decide - either he would be with her or not. This was a couple of years ago. I thought things had improved in their relationship. I never ask about their relationship. They are grown. Eight months ago she called me and told me she was pregnant. I admit my first reaction was one of concern. I didn't know if they were getting along or not. However, she assured me they were doing fine and I told her I was very happy for them. Everything was going fine until about a week later I got a call from my son asking me to come pick him up he was moving out. I told him I couldn't drop every thing at that very moment but if he was sure I would come as soon as I could. Well that wasn't good enough for him. If I couldn't come at that instant than not to bother and he hung up on me. Well he went to say with his biological father (first time ever) for about a week and then returned to his girlfriend. He did call me and apologized. Since then I have had several conversations with his girlfriend about having a baby shower. Then all of a sudden the calls stopped. My son has not called me since the apology. I called and emailed and no one returned my calls. Finally, I called my son's job and he asked the receptionist to ask me if it was an emergency. I said no and to tell him I was just calling to see how he was doing. He never called back. Then I received an email from his girlfriend telling me that there was no need for ME to call their jobs. I had called her job before to talk about the baby shower or just to say hi. I admit I was upset and emailed her back and told her I would call my son's job, his cell or his home if I was concerned about him. I said that being a mother I was sure she could understand my concern. She wrote back and said as a mother should would not handle a non-emergency situation the way I had. This made no sense to me because I hadn't heard from either of them so how did I know what had happened. She also told me the baby shower had been postponed. This was about 2 weeks before it was suppose to take place. When I had called and left messages about the shower she didn't even bother to call me back. So this is where we are now. Oh yes, she sent me sonogram pictures of the baby. The only thing she said was here are pictures of your grandson. I have not called my son since he never returned any of my calls. I have not sent any more emails. My heart is breaking. I don't know what I could have said. If I am asked for advice or an opinion, I give it. One of the last conversations I had with the girlfriend she raised a couple of concerns about my son. I told her I could understand her concerns. I don't know what she has said to him and I'm beginning to think she could have told him anything. My son has never treated me like this before and I am at lost to understand it. Some days I am really sad because (as I use to tell him) I miss his face.
    ...See More
  • naturenurture_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi to all who post here. I have been in tremendous emotional pain and grief over the past 5 years. My son one day just hung up the phone without speaking to me. Just like that, no warning, nothing said. I tried several times to contact him and each time, the same thing. I have gone over everything leading up to his continual hang up's and silence. Our conversations, times when I saw him, and yet there is nothing I can truly pin point to his silence and treating me as I don't exist. My daughter thought it to be so hurtful and destructive on so many levels. Then last year when we had a disagreement, my daughter chose to punish me. She too has now left and is doing exactly the same thing.
    After do much soul searching and continual sleepless nights with a pain so great that it feels like my heart has been ripped out, I now feel objective about this estrangement they have chosen.
    I believe it is a punishment they feel entitled to give me. I loved being their mother. I reared them to be strong and independant, to believe in themselves and to always know I would support them in whatever they chose to do and the people they wished to become. I loved giving them the opportunities as they were growing up, given unconditionally as they are my chlldren.
    Now, it seems I really didn't know them at all. Yes I will always love them but they have taught me a great lesson in their actions. I will never beg for their love, although mine will always be unconditional. I do want an apology when one day they decide to contact me. They are adults and therefore contribute to our relationship if it is to survive. They must take responsibility for their decisions, including the estrangement from myself.
    I have had a strong and wonderful relationship with my mother. We have worked at our relationship over the years knowing it takes give and take on both sides. Even when I was younger and my mother and I did not agree, we always listened to one another and respected each other's opinion. I could never hurt my mother by punishing her with estrangement, never.
    No one is perfect, no one is immune. I think our children are truly missing out on something very special as they grow and evolve by cutting off the very people who lived and breathed every moment for them, basing all decisions on their welfare and well being, doing without so they never did.
    Perhaps this was wrong. Perhaps I should have placed myself first instead of last. It seems this has given them a false sense of entitlement to meter out punishment for a crime they will not tell me I was supposed to have committed.
    Life goes on and I am putting one foot in front of the other every day in building a life worth living for me rather than spend one more minute feeling worthless because they think I am. Who do they think they are? The least they could do is have the courage to come to me and tell me why they are punishing me. But no, they are taking the easy way out and just giving me the silent treatment.
    It is all so absolutely futile in a life the is so very short. I hope for their sakes and mine that they do not wait until we attend a funeral for one of us as that would be criminal and we would never recover.
    To all children who punish their parents with estrangement, silence and disdain. TALK, LISTEN, RESOLVE because one day your parents will no longer be here and you will have wasted precious time and energy. Also be careful, as I believe this can extend to you and become a generational event throughout your lives with your children and your children's live. How irresponsible is this? Grossly irresponsible.

• silversword
    12 years ago

Fromtheheart, your story is sad. But I must say, my mother and I are estranged for a reason. I don't want to talk to her. I don't want to listen to her.

Resolving our issues would mean she'd have to take a real long hard look at the way she has been manipulating everyone in her life for DECADES. I don't see that happening.

Sometimes there's a reason for estrangements.

• ms_minnamouse
    12 years ago

"Fromtheheart, your story is sad. But I must say, my mother and I are estranged for a reason. I don't want to talk to her. I don't want to listen to her.

Resolving our issues would mean she'd have to take a real long hard look at the way she has been manipulating everyone in her life for DECADES. I don't see that happening.

Sometimes there's a reason for estrangements."

Like the person who stared this thread, I bet if you asked your mother, she would say that the estrangement was unjustified and happened for no reason and that it had to be all your fault and not her's.

However, I'm not saying that I know this to be the case in the poster's experience but it is more likely than not to be the case.

As soon as I'm lucky enough to move out, I want to get the heck out of here and never come back or ever talk to my parents again but I bet they can't or won't concede that they share any of the blame for me feeling that way.

• nmc9820_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello,
    I'm writting to you parents who are estranged from a child /children. I too am in the lot, however after 4 yrs of this. I have come to realize it is not about me, my husband or the sibblings of these adult children. It is their lot in life to find their way if this is the road they choose I pray for my child , some days 24 hrs a day. There are no answers to why this happens and sometimes no one is to blame.It's just the way it is and unfortunatley you won't get this time apart back...being bitter about it only makes the wound hurt worse . Being better for it(ie. mother, grandmother, friend etc) helps you work through the pain, deal with it as best you can and always hope that they know you love them...no matter what they think! wishing you a miracle to all of you in this lot.

Sincerely, Nanci

• silversword
    12 years ago

Ms. Minna, I have talked to my mother. This is not the first time we've been estranged. The last time I forgave her, and we moved on. The last time she really stepped over the line, threw fits, ran away, moved out of state, didn't contact me for months... then told our family lies about me. And yes... it's all my fault and she also blamed my husband, because he stood up for me. Either way:

I'm done.

• majimart_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Is there a support group for children who have become estranged from their parents? There seems to be a lot of sympathy out there for parents who think their kids no longer talk to them "for no reason" but there is nothing for us!

My parents are mentally ill and refuse to seek help. They didn't come to my wedding, accused my boyfriend (now husband) of being an alcoholic and abuser, and my other family members will not talk to them either for similar issues of their own. My mother and father, of course, think I stopped talking to them for "no reason." I don't want my children growing up with that kind of poison around them.

I'm now trying to find ways to cope without my parents. Holidays are especially bad because I remember the good times when I was a CHILD, not the last 15 adult years which have been horrible. Any information about a support group for us adult kids would be appreciated.

• mema67
    12 years ago

For eight years I've lived in this nightmare. Some days are more difficult than others. Today is my birthday, and I am particularly grieving the loss of my grandchildren. I wrote this little poem which I want to post here since I'm not permitted to write to them.

For reasons I may never know,
    It's from your life I'm forced to go.

And though we are apart I pray,
    That things won't always be this way.

Within my heart your light burns bright,
    I think of you last thing each night.

I close my eyes, and you are there,
    In memories of the past we share.

You were then and will forever be,
    Such a very special part of me,

That it doesn't matter where you are,
    Whether it be near or far,

You'll always be My Shining Star.

Mema

• amom123
    12 years ago

Reading some of these posts, seems to me, as if i could have written them myself. My head is in a fog these days. I have a 26 year old son who slammed me with, I was an awful mother. He has an awful father and sister as well. He has been verbally abusive to me in conversation, the two times that we have spoken, since this all came about. I have sent him heartfelt cards and emails, that he took offense to. I just cannot believe this is even happening. It has been an absolute nightmare. All of you know, who truly love their kids, how deeply this hurts. It is very sad. Without getting into the details of the situation, my sons has been totally irrational and cannot hold a proper two way conversation. He is getting married this summer, he advised me that I am not invited. Also, he may let me into his life, when he makes me a grandmother, but it will be very limited. He has taken his anger out on me more than anyone else. Everyone else tip toes around him and try to appease him. I am a patient and understanding person, but I will not be bullied and disrespected. I love my son dearly and miss him. After reading so many posts, it seems that this is a common problem with a lot of parents. My son disowned me from his life, but not from the school loans that he begged me to co-sign for, and has not paid on in six months. His father wouldn't because he was buying a house. I was in no shape financially to do so. There is nothing that I can do about it, except scrape up the money every month and pay it. Has anyone ever been through such an experience, and their child have a change of heart and realize what they did was so wrong?

• JaninCali
    12 years ago

I recently reunited with my 37 yo son after 26 years. It has been incredible but very difficult. He is a sweet guy, good hearted, smart and usually treats me respectfully. He is also a raging alcoholic.
    We're up and down in our new relationship. Currently I am in Virginia visiting friends. He has only called me once and did not bother to wish me happy b'day. I left California on good terms I thought--now it appears he won't even talk to me. I cannot call him because he lost his phone-no doubt while drinking-and had to get a new phone and cell #. Perhaps he is feeling I abandoned him once again although I asked him if he was cool with me coming to VA and he said it was fine.
    We live with my brother-his uncle-and now my brother says my son has to leave due to his drinking. This was the only rule my brother had upon him moving in. He was ok with drinking as long as he didn't make a spectacle of himself in front of my neice and nephew (his cousins).
    So I don't know what to do now-leave him alone for awhile or try and see who has his new number and call him. I see no use in chasing and hassling him. It does drive me insane not to talk to him and he knows that. I have tried very hard not to be clingy and possessive-after all he is not 10 anymore.
    I am way out of my comfort zone here and do not know how to deal with this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Jan

• boopzhart
    12 years ago

Hi. I am new just found this site and thrilled to death to have found it yet it breaks my heart that there are soo many of us in this gawd awful boat. looking forward to reading more and hopefully finding easier ways to cope with this

• jtdoodlebug
    12 years ago

I am also new to this forum. I've visited before, but this is the first time I've posted. Unlike all of you, this is a difficult position. My oldest son, now 30 has been estranged from the entire family for over 3 years now.
    He put his wife & 14 mo old son out of the house. We, as most grandparents would, took them in. He blamed us for "taking sides". We learned a few days later that he was involved with another woman. He subsequently divorced, and later married the "other woman". He still blames us for "taking her side". We remain close to the "ex" DIL and grandson.

Son has now married the "other woman" & has 2 children. The 1st was born before they even married. Although we were not welcome when the baby was born, we did get to see her @ about 5 months. He left the state when she was less than a year old. We learned last year that he has another son (child was 3 months old at that point).
    He has NO contact with his son from the 1st marriage. We were in our son's new hometown in May of 2011. Called & arranged to take him & the wife out to dinner. Tried our best to "mend fences". They didn't bother to bring our grandchildren to the dinner. We've never seen our grandson, except in pictures. We have sent gifts to our grandchildren. They returned one; wrote nasty notes about others. The Christmas checks from 2011 have not cleared the bank...but we sent cards/checks to our granddaughter & son's wife for their birthdays, Jan 2012. Now the new DIL has requested to be my husband's "friend" on Facebook. Last time she did this was to let him know about the "new baby". She later "unfriended" him abruptly. Hope she's not just "playing games".....We took our son out of our will after his estrangement. I refuse to feel guilty over his behavior. I've finally come to the conclusion that I can't change him....and I've done nothing wrong.

• Tenille
    12 years ago

I have read your stories, and I want to thank you for posting them. I frequent forums for adult children who have severed ties with their parents, and it is eye-opening to read the other side of the coin. I benefit from knowing your experiences, and I am so sorry for your losses.
    My children do not know their grandparents. They do not see them on holidays and certainly have never slept over at their houses. As parents, my husband and I were faced with a big decision. Did we want to protect our children from the alcoholic, vitriolic, self-absorbed people who raised us? or did we want to expose our children to them so that our children would have grandparents, as other children do? and so that our parents wouldn't feel the heartache that many of you feel?
    Well, we made the choice to deprive our children and break our parents' hearts. We've never been happier! Our middle child no longer sits in the shadow while my mother shows obvious favoritism to my oldest. Our answering machine no longer contains maudlin messages from my drunk mother-in-law as she toys with committing suicide over cancelled plans. My father-in-law still calls on my mother-in-law's behalf, but we don't ever pick up. They are broken, miserable people. Before my husband and I quit dealing them, they were...broken, miserable people. My children, while certainly exceptional in every way, are not capable of repairing the damage in my in-laws and parents, and I wouldn't dream of subjecting my dear children to such precarious personalities.
    I realize that many of you have been blind-sided by the distance between you and your offspring. I don't doubt that many of you are dealing with hurtful people, perhaps of the same ilk as my relatives. I will be thinking of you and hoping that you find continued happiness through venues other than the jerks in your life. You may as well give up on the jerks. They will only cause you pain, no matter what your relation.
    I hope those of you who are the jerks find happiness, too. Maybe, when you aren't reliant on your children's children for fulfillment, some of your children will begin to embrace your involvement. I hope things work out for all of you.
    Thanks for letting me in on on your group.

• JanieHiltFlorida
    11 years ago

I divorced my two daughters (C&M) father when they were 2 & 5 yrs old. He threatened to keep them from me in another country if I did not allow him custody. I did so with the full intent of regaining them in a couple years when he would be sick of them which did happen. He remarried and his wife hated them. He allowed them to be abused by her and so it was a relief when I had them back under my roof. The oldest child hit her teens and became a absolute terror and disruption to our life. She became so manipulative and deceitful and it was clear her mission was to do only what she wanted to do. She also became a terrible role model for our younger daughter which did not exhibit the same behaviours of her older sister. We soon learned by age 14 she was bi-polar. I had a second opinion conducted before putting her on medicine. After being on meds. However she became hyper-sexual and would do anything to sneak a boy in the house for sex. I went from full time to part time to try to control the household to no avail. I simply could not believe how she could lie and deceive so easily. Soon, the younger daughter was so influenced she started the same behaviours except not to the extent of her older sister. The older daughter (C) left home after a secret marriage to her fiance (A week prior to their church wedding)And still fooled everyone at their wedding. We were instructed not to attend either her graduation or her wedding (though I bought her dress. We honored her request. She estranged herself from us for several months after that. I reached out to her and we reunited. Her marriage in shambles and by then was expecting a child..our 1st grandchild. We helped her out financially as much as we could and even allowed her and her and our grandson to move back into our home. She didn't stay long and was back out sleeping with men, becoming pregnant at least once again and an abortion followed. Another pregnancy and this one almost was adopted but she changed her mind in the middle of her pregnancy.During all this time after leaving home she was off her medications.She had an unstable environment for her children. We helped her as much as possible still.
    One day she got into a fight with her sister(who was also married) the day before Easter.She called me and told me not to allow her sister to come for Easter dinner or else she wouldn't come. I couldn't do that of course so after that, she has been estranged. On top of this, she has since poisoned the mind of my youngest daughter(M) against us manipulating her mind to believe they were emotionally abused, when in actuality my husband and I were the ones abused. I also believe their father had something to do with all of this as he had threatened me when I left him that he would "get me, no matter what it would take." He is a very bitter, vengeful person and I believed him when he said it. There have been lots of this and thats in the story (too long for the forum) but this is what I believe to be the the cause of the estrangement. As I know of nothing else and have given them opportunities to tell me. I have offered love and support via emails to both and now I feel like I have to leave it alone. The hurt is so deep and raw and it has been years since this all happened. I do not think I will ever see my daughters or grandchildren again. I have had to "mentally bury them alive" to survive this. I allow myself to cry every day in the shower.(people don't see or hear me in my pain) and I have had an emotional breakdown and had therapy and now take antidepressants. I am stronger than I have ever been now but the hurt is still there. I love them so much. So much that I am willing to leave them alone if this makes them happy but I wonder how happy they truly are. I would have NEVER treated my Mother this way and she was not perfect. Who is? We do the best we can with our kids. I did a good job and have nothing to feel guilty about in raising my girls. I often wonder how I would react if they wanted to become part of my life again. How could I ever trust either of them? That would always be there for me. I have long ago forgiven but forgetting has nothing to do with forgiving. I wish them only happiness and health with or without me in their lives. I have resigned myself to the fact they are gone forever so I moved to another state starting my life over. It has helped but the pain is still so real when I allow myself to think about it.

• tracystoke
    11 years ago

Im confused ,did the kids go to live with their father? ,with you saying you were glad when they were back under your roof .I think you are a vile peice of shite

• patly
    11 years ago

Your heart breaking story leaves me so sad for you. I think you have done the only thing you can logically and emotionally. I hope that time will soften the awful things that they have done. Perhaps some day they will wake up, but don't count on it. Make the most of your life and leave them behind as you seek happiness. They do not deserve your love and concern while they are so nasty and unappreciative. I will keep you in my heart and wish for better times. You and your husband deserve a good and happy life. Perhaps this will bring the pair of you closer than ever, because of what you have been through.

• needhelp77
    11 years ago

"I don't want my children growing up with that kind of poison around them."

I get you and support you!

So many parents here think they have done nothing wrong, but are bashing their child's spouse right and left.

When a young couple get married they need support, not judgement.

When a couple has children, they need to feel support for their immediate family, or they will grow up feeling something is wrong with their parents and them!

So many blind selfish parents here. Do you think your children are stupid? They know what you have been thinking about them and their spouse. They know the lies you have been saying to the family.

Young families don't need the stress of controlling mean family members when they are just starting out their lives. They need support.

If you are two faced, being nice in their presence but bad mouthing behind their backs THEY KNOW! You can stop pretending you have done nothing wrong, and own up to the fact you have not been supporting them unconditionally and instead tearing them down.

As the parent, it is your job to give unconditionally, without expectation of your children doing your bidding. They are independent people, and it seems the problems always start around teenage/college age when they start to think for themselves and are not under your thumb anymore.

• stargazer003
    11 years ago

I have read every single one of these posts on this topic and my heart goes out to you all. Like you, I have been struggling to come to terms with the fact that I brought up two children who now in their late 20's have cut both my husband and myself out of their lives. I recognise the familiar story of how a vulnerable young man can be manipulated and brainwashed by devious mother and her greedy daughter. I know this is what happened with my son. My daughter is like her father (my ex husband) and enjoys hurting us. Painful as it is to acknowledge that she doesn't speak to us, in many ways, the peace is a blessing. Rather than lament any further because all I'd be doing is repeating what many of you have already stated, I'd like to offer my own experience of how I have come to terms with being an estranged parent. I've even grown to enjoy my life seeing it as an opportunity to grow and do other things. Like you all, I expected to be part of a loving family, Christmas presents, Mothers Day cards, phone calls, grandchildren, etc. I have one grandchild, I am blocked from his life. You know the story.

Here's what I have learned and changed.

1. It's not my fault. I no longer beat myself up or stay awake at night wondering what I did wrong. As soon as I took a step back I could see that I have raised two very selfish and spoilt young adults. They choose to be like this though, they can change if they want. They don't want to because in many ways they enjoy thinking they are humiliating, hurting me and being in control. It's only now that I realise they have learned how to treat me so badly by watching others do the same. It's called the 'pack' instinct.

2. Do I deserve this? No. No one deserves to be treated in this way. I was a devoted, stay at home mum who gave up a lot of opportunity and made countless sacrifices so my children could have more. I was always there for them. They were loved, nurtured, well fed, clean and kept safe.

3.When do I walk away? I just did. After 10 years of the same unkind treatment, I decided that if I sought advice from a domestic abuse shelter organisation, and complained of mental cruelty, they would advise me to leave. So I have. There is no difference between cruelty dished out by an adult child, parent or partner. It's all wrong and I don't deserve it.

4. Should I continue trying, sending presents and cards in the hope of change? Are you mad? Do you seriously want anyone back who at the drop of a hat can crush you into little pieces the next time you refuse to lend money or help in other ways? It's time to value yourself. You gave up your life and dreams once and you did the best you could at being a parent. If you keep sending anything, they still have control over your heart, hopes and wishes. If you want to send something, adopt a soldier, a dog, a starving child but don't waste another penny (I'm English) on an adult child that doesn't show you love or respect.

5. Get a new life. It's very, very difficult to walk away or end all hope of ever having the family you miss come back into your life. The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and ending up with the same result. But, by cutting the umbilical cord, several things happen. You stop your badly behaved child from controlling your right to happiness. You start to grow and heal. Once the healing starts, you grow much stronger and when you feel stronger, you're able to process and deal with things that once upset you. You realise that outside of being a mother, other things are waiting, rewarding things, loving things, things that make you feel much more valued. Choose to let go of your children and make all efforts to create a new life and direction. If you've been snubbed, excluded, criticised, used and abused for any length of time, you have probably developed a negative view of yourself. Make a conscious decision to free yourself and close the door on your kids until such time that you are stronger and they can see they can't keep treating you in the same way.

6. Nurture and love yourself. Care about you. I know for many of us this sounds alien. We've spent our lives giving everything to others but trust me, even if you feel abandoned, rejected, hurt and on the scrap heap, the minute you start looking after you is the time when your inner child will start to feel better. Look after you!

7. Stop trying. Make the decision NOT to take your adult children back until they can treat you with value, love, courtesy and respect. It's hard but you don't want to keep going through the pain. Set new boundaries, not for them but for you. You're not on this earth to suffer and if your kids don't value you in their lives, there's not much you can do to change it. Damage has occurred somewhere. It needs to be fixed at root level. Let time fix it. If time takes forever, no matter. Use this time to create a rewarding life for yourself. Give yourself permission to reinvent yourself, find peace and reward in things and people who value you. You are only human and you deserve love and kindness, mostly from yourself.

I hope my comments help. It's what I have come to realise over time and I have found personal happiness and reward. I still sometimes wish I had a family but my family are pretty awful so I tend to be grateful for the liberation and freedom I have in my life now and I use this freedom to do lots of things, help others, write, give time to those in need, forge ahead in a career, etc.

Most importantly, be strong and don't accept all the blame. Your adult kids are treating you badly because they don't value or respect you. Where did they learn this from??? Don't beg anything from them. Don't be walked over and don't allow yourself to feel guilty or that you've failed. Their bad behaviour is their problem and they can choose to behave differently. Things can change but you don't ever want to to go back to being in a position where your heart can be trampled on again. You're worth more than this. xxx

• worriedone
    11 years ago

Life is too short to have it muddled up by unappreciative people that do/say hurtful things. NO MORE.

Go discover a new Bike Path! Go kayaking! Art museums. Concerts. Whatever. Saunas are nice, too.

Don't waste your time and energy forcing bad people to be kind to you. It doesn't work. Just don't be around when they suddenly NEED you.

Be good to yourself and forget them. It isn't easy - but you deserve to be treated with respect. If not by them then they don't need you. Say goodbye and go have some fun

:)

• gagirl1961
    11 years ago

Dear Stargazer. Thank you so much! Your post brought so much comfort to me. I'm sorry that it took you knowing what I'm living to be able to help.
    Today has been my 52nd birthday. For the first time ever, my adult children didnt even bother to call. I, just like you, spoiled them, showered them with love, did without in order to give what they wanted. But, since they've been grown, I've always had to not voice an opinion, accept whatever time I could see the grandkids (who love me), be at their beckon call, and pay whatever bill needed paying. Currently my oldest son is angry because I didn't answer a text on his time table. And my daughter , because I took my son's kids home with me after a party last Nov. and not her daughter. I can't do it anymore . So, for the first time, I haven't been calling, apologizing, and begging. I still have one son at home. He's 19, in college and seems to truly love me. I have turned this over to God. I always had the fear "what if something happens to one of us?" But, you're right. I can't control it all. I have to let the babies (grandkids) go, and pray that some time down the line, I will be able to hold them in my arms again. My Mama and I are building a relationship that we've never had. I was surrounded today by her, my youngest son, and friends from Church...oh and my two sisters. So, it's been a good day. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Take care:)

• heartbroken13
    11 years ago

I have read all the posts and I hope, if needed, I can get to the stage Stargazzer has found. I also wish that estranged parents would return to this forum with good updates, given that there are any...

I am in the beginning stages and hopeful that somebody can help me find a way to stop the madness.

Two years ago my son, then 25, and his girlfriend 19 got pregnant while my son was living with me. I have never had a particularly close relationship with the GF as we never spent much time together. When I learned of the pregnancy I was in the process of moving 500 miles away. The distance was a good thing at the time...

When my grandson was born, 6 months later, I immediately traveled to see him and have either traveled to see him or paid for my son and GF to travel here every 2 months. When I moved away I was committed to going no more than 2 months w/o seeing my family. I also have a daughter, now 25. My son's GF family lives 80 miles away from them and they don't make an effort to visit...

Three months ago my son told me that he and his GF were going to split up. We talked about the logistics of it all and whether he was certain this is what he wanted. He was sure. Later that month when I returned from a vacation (my daughter too) we found that my BF, my daughter and I had been "unfriended" on Facebook by my son's GF. Later that night she sent me a scathing text telling me that I had done a poor job in raising my son, that she was no longer going to play mom to him or play house. Further saying that he worships the ground I (mom) walks on...She has also been heard saying that she can not compete with the women in my son's life. Women being his sister and me. I remained calm and waited hours to respond at which time I told her that I was proud of my son, that she had chose him, and that their relationship was their responsibility and not mine and I hoped they could figure it out. I also told her that I would always respect her as my grandson's mother. I have not spoken to her since.

My son and grandson visited two months ago and we talked again about the logistics of the breakup and what I could do to help. Everything seemed to be going down the path of a normal breakup until a month later when my son decided he didn't want to lose his family. He did a complete 360. He took on all the blame for everything that had gone wrong. I tried to explain that it takes two and though he did things wrong she did too but in the end if he wanted her back he would need to fight for her and that women want to know they are worth fighting for.

Over the next week or so he was doing everything to convince her he wanted his family back and she was giving him hope until he caught her kissing somebody else. He lost his mind and called me immediately (I happened to be in town for a funeral) to help him move out. We moved all his things that night.

Since that night he seems to be doing everything he can to sabotage our relationship. What it comes down to is that he is still trying to get her back and I believe she is making it about me. They visit too much, (4 times last year and I cover all expenses including amusement parks, etc. trying to assure they have a good time) all his vacation time was used to see me, and who knows what else.

I don't believe I have done anything wrong. I have made them and my grandson a priority. Based on some of the posts this is common and women often pull the BF/husbands away from their family. I don't understand. How am I a threat to her from 500 miles away? We don't even talk on the phone often except for during football season.

My son and I had a great relationship and like many of you it is breaking my heart, making me depressed, and keeping me up at night. The tears come unexpectedly. Seeing my grandson every couple months has given us a great bond that I am afraid could be broken forever by this craziness. At 21, is she just immature? How will she feel someday if the same happens to her? Anything I can do??? I am at a complete loss. I feel like I am completely at his mercy. I can't speak how I feel because with one wrong word he could quit speaking to me completely.

• Izzy2
    10 years ago

All of these stories are tragic and so very painful. I come and go from various sites because sometimes I seek solace from knowing I'm not alone in my turmoil. At other times, It's just too painful to even think about let alone read more stories of pain. Joshua Coleman PhD recommends allowing yourself to think about it for 5 minutes a day. Then I listened to one of his webinars and after about an hour and 1/2 I was overloaded and realized it had been way over 5 minutes. He has a lot of wisdom and experience but I think in my situation that there is nothing more I can do. I email, text, leave voice mails. They're never answered. So I guess the ball is in their court. When and if they are ever mature and wise enough to recognize that nobody is perfect but parents seem to be expected to be. My younger son's character assassination of me as a person and a mother was based on either completely fabricated accusations( such as I didn't come to school events when in fact I went to almost 100%. He was the student tech director and I missed 2 shows in 3 years because of a chronic autoimmune disease, for example but the number of events I attended far out shadowed those 2 absences. The involvement is too extensive to go into like staying up until 3 am to make a costume for him that he didn't tell me about until I picked him up from school that day. Great costume it was, thank you very much. But I know you all know the story. Documentation and witness to history exist and back up what I feel was the reality. Or, statements that sound like direct quotes from my ex husband. For example, he said he didn't think I'd ever gotten over the divorce. A) it had been 12 years and trust me I had moved on and B) if that were true, why not compassion? Just exactly how would that make me a horrible person? He just either fabricates things or grossly distorts the past. The GF is a big part of this. She said terrible things about her own parents then turned on me over something extremely petty. And that was it. My son has never even been on a single date with another girl and he and this GF have been together for 4 years now. He's 21 and everyone says "oh he'll come back to you, he's still just a kid". I wish I believed that but she seems to have him brainwashed. I think these people have no idea of the heart wrenching pain of having your child abruptly cut you entirely out of their life. When you KNOW that your relationship with your child was good and that they were happy then suddenly they turn on a dime and demonize you, it's hard to fathom that there is any legitimacy to what they say. Of course I made mistakes. Parents are doomed to do so. But an abrupt 180? I am not only despairing but I am also angry. Who does he think he is meeting with me with a type written list of complaints about me that he feels warrent never speaking to me again? How dare he speak to me that way after I have loved him unconditionally, provided him with anything he needed, let him know he was loved and special and that I was proud of him and put him first in my life always mindful of his feelings. I considered it verbal and mental abuse. I am not going to beg for forgiveness for completely false accusations nor will I allow him to avoid responsibility for his own part in this. People just don't treat each other this way. As adults, although we are the parents, our children need to take responsibility for how they conduct themselves in relationships. I have never, ever had a relationship with anyone who has treated me so callously and cruelly. It's just not acceptable. I know my faults and some incidences that hurt my son but we had talked about these at the time and resolved ( I thought ) the issues and moved on. I realize now that I spoiled him and I did foster a sense of entitlement in him in a way. So I accept my responsibilities and recognize there may have been times when he experienced something in a way that was unintended. I have already apologized for any and all things I've done to hurt or anger him. But like what I read on these posts, they don't give us much in the way of tangible explanations for their anger. What this says is that they have no desire to reconcile. They are invested in whatever their position is and it seems to serve them somehow as such. So what do you do with that? My feeling is NOTHING. Nothing but wait and hope that someday they come to their senses. But that's up to them so its a waiting game. And the more posts I read on different sites the more skeptical I am that it will be anytime in the near future if at all forthcoming.

• musikchic
    10 years ago

It is so sad to read the stories of hurting parents here. I have been on both sides of the story, having put my father out to the fringes of my life and having a son who wants little to do with me.

My father cheated on my mother, gambled my family's business away and when I stepped up to the plate as a 19 year old to try to help, I bought the business with the agreement he would manage it and I would continue to work under him. Except he ran it into the ground too, and I had to file for bankruptcy and lost my work, business and home. Also in the process my grandparents lost money as I assumed my dad's old mortgage with them. But my father told them and anyone who would listen about how it was my fault the business crumbled, that I did not invoice product because I am 'forgetful' when it was him who was selling product under the table for cash or checks written to him! So this is the story the majority of the family believes and I have been estranged from grandparents and aunts, uncles and cousins since that time. I did ask my grandparents" forgiveness for the money lost and they said they did forgive me. But things were never the same. My beloved grandmother passed away two years ago. I mourned alone as I was not invited to the memorial service. Let's jump ahead 20 years......

I have three children, the oldest being my son who was highly influenced by my father in his younger years. He has many of my father's values, as in money means more than people. His father and I separated 8 years ago and he holds me responsible for the break up, even though his father left us for his secretary. I am in no way saying I didn't have a role to play in the break up, but although I was the victim of adultery, I still have all the blame in my son's eyes. He has always been a difficult child to understand and to show love to, as he has always pushed me away and even as a small child, seemed to consider himself superior to me. When asked to chores, he would counter, that's woman's work! Not sure where he got that because he didn't hear it at home. When he left for college, there was a collective sigh of relief from me and his siblings as his difficult personality was wearing on us all. College seemed to mellow him out and we were all happier when we were together.

He found a nice girl at college and moved in with her 2.5 years ago, getting engaged shortly thereafter, with the plan to marry when he was done college. Since he left to live with her, his visits have grown increasingly rarer. He is one semester from graduating and they are planning a wedding. I have not been asked for any help or money or any input. I can deal with that. But I am sad that he has pulled away so completely when our relationship seemed better when he started college and we could communicate as adults.

My father is dying of cancer but all my attempts to reach out to him have been turned down. So be it. I pushed him to the fringes of my life so he could not hurt me more. I guess now that his days are numbered, he has chosen to punish me for that. My mom says I should keep trying as when he's dead, it's too late, but I don't wish to grovel for the love and attention of a man who proved he cared little for me by ruining my life years ago. You can't make people be what you want them to be. Sure, I'd like an apology after all these years but I am sure that won't happen. And I would like a better relationship with my son, but I can't force him to include me if he doesn't want to. I have apologized for the mistakes I may have made as his mom. And I have sent my dad cards telling him I am thinking of him and that I love him, but he doesn't reply. I think we all do the best we know how to do, and when we know better, we do better. I am trying. But that isn't enough I guess.....

It hurts, these broken relationships. But sometimes I think you can do nothing but let go ........

• frugalwallflower
    10 years ago

Every posting here was read and carefully considered and a common thread surfaced in many.

You did SO much for your children, spoiled them, sacrificed yourself for them...and they got the idea that they were important and special and very much worth what was sacrificed for them...you!

Apparently, the newer style of "parenting" is being friends/equals instead of teaching them that you are the leader and there are billions of other people on this planet who are just as "special" as they are. Our "self-esteem" and reality TV "star" culture is breeding selfishness and drama-lovers in droves.

"Spoiled" is a bad thing when it comes to food, so why is it said with a giggle when talking about parenting? Both kinds are dangerous!

You gave them money when asked, sent gifts, (let the girlfriend or boyfriend move in?!) and tried to help when they made a baby or two out of wedlock. You apologized to them multiple times to get them back in your life-even when you didn't think you were a large part of the problem.

Giving too much and not expecting a solid return effort from your children throughout their lives makes you part of the problem.

My children have been told often that they don't "deserve" to have any one thing in this world--they are given what they need and a few wants on certain occasions, but must work to earn the opportunity to own something or to experience something they want. They must earn their way and contribute to our family with effort and time.

I refuse to raise entitled children who believe they are any more valuable than the next person. We love them and tell them, but my calling in life is to raise thinking, hard-working people who will maintain a healthy humble attitude in their dealings with others. If they CHOOSE to flip to such selfish behavior I will not choose to maintain contact just because we have genetics involved. I abhor manipulation and using deceitful "charm" to get what you want from people.

I do understand not all cases are alike, but a commonality seems prevalent.

Some extended family members and family friends have been extremely difficult. I have come to an understanding that they always will be. They are self-centered drama queens, lying drug abusers/alcoholics, manipulative thieves, adulterers, etc.

Their upbringing contributed to many of their choices. A common theme was an occupied or weak mother/father with an out-of-control child. One, Will, was rescued from his problems from toddlerhood through his early death because his mom didn't want to see him suffer the effects of his choices. He was a drunk (numerous DUI's; she bailed him out!) and drug addict who couldn't handle money (She gave him thousands of $) and was living in an apartment without necessary utilities.

Sounds like his mom not wanting him to suffer turned out to cause lots of suffering for Will and many people around him. It didn't make her a good mom to rescue him from his choices; quite the opposite. I watched and decided very young that it's good for kids to struggle and experience frustration and to recover from their own mistakes; with logical, decent guidance, of course.

Look up narcissistic personality disorder. Many of these difficult children sound like they are narcissistic. Some of the parents could be also. Narcissists will never truly admit fault and enjoy manipulating people.

Others didn't get to experience the satisfaction of learning to make their own way at a young age. They have no concept of having pride in their (developed) abilities and to learn how a strong work ethic is vital to healthy development.

I won't ever pretend my kids will turn out "just right" or that I'm an expert parent. I can only communicate honestly with them and guide them, then hope they recover from their mistakes without too much harm done. As long as they're decent people I'll encourage and guide them the best I can.

• tlsweet
    10 years ago

I have just read many, many posts here. They've all helped in the fact that I'm not alone.
    I'll sound like a broken record, but I also spoiled and gave my now 31 yr old daughter everything.
    For the past month we've not spoken. But for the past several years we've had a roller coaster relationship. Long story, that I won't go into. We've tried many times to heal. She's been pretty cruel. And now it's been a month and we haven't spoken. She expressed jealousy over a now soon to be 4 yr old grand daughter. And, I truly feel it made her slash out at me. We used to be best friends. Would talk every day. Sometimes several times a day.
    For many reasons she's been mad at me, often times exagerating the situation. I didn't know what to do, so last month I opened up to her, apologized for much that I felt wasn't all my fault. Tried to explain to her some of my actions that I did take full responsibility for. But, I guess it's too late. Or she now just needs time to process.
    Looking ahead I worry that this will go on for years, and I'll never have a relationship with her or Amelia. I worry that Amelia will feel like I left her. We were very close as I watched her weekly and sometimes 2 to 3 times a week while her mom worked for 2 years.
    Well, I am going to try to try really hard to move on. My hurt is so deep, and I worry and hurt daily over this, and if I think about it too long I'll cry over the deep hurt of loosing my daughter & only grand child. My son will never be able to give me one. And he's in Hawaii. In the Army. We see each other about once a year.
    I'm thankful to have found this site to read what stargaze has done. I'm going to try hard to move on. But, for right now my mind says it doesn't know how to do it.
    Thanks for listening. I've been told by her I'm crazy and irrational. I hope this didn't sound that way.

• Estrangedx2
    10 years ago

I have two estranged adult children one 32 the other 30.My estranged with my son has been for 3 years,the other has been for just over 3 months.That is my daughter.I have been told I am crazy and need mental help.All I can say is I am on meds for the depression that they have caused me.My doctor has told me not to talk to them,it wont do any good,and

• lovemarlins123
    10 years ago

To all of you loving and hurting parents, and especially to stargazer003 who posted on 9/21/2012.

Like her, I am done trying and reaching out. Her 7 step no-nonsense resolution resonated so much with me! Congratulations to her and let us all join her in her conclusions and stop punishing ourselves.

Like stargazer003, for what seems forever I have tried to reach out to my only daughter, who has cut me off entirely for the past 5 1/2 years and on and off for probably as many years before that. Last time I saw her and my only granddaughter was December 2007.

I must say it all pretty much began when her husband entered her life and she was in her late twenties. She is now 41.

The last thing I did was to send her a beautiful arrangement of flowers with the most loving letter, asking her to forgive me for "all my wrong decisions." Nothing specific because the truth is I did not know, even though I had asked many times before, what it was that I did wrong.

I also asked her to please meet with me. I was not going to mention the money I let her charge to my credit card and never paid (almost 20K). I was told maybe she did not quite believe I forgave her that debt. I also assured her I was not going to show up at her doorsteps nor stalk her in any way (I had flown in from where I live and told her I was staying at a nearby hotel to make it easy for her to come and see me). I also told her that whatever decision she would make I was going to accept and no matter what, I loved her.

I received the cruelest and meanest of all texts. I finally found out what I had done wrong. I was an unforgivable evil monster who abused her, put her down, loathed her, repeatedly and for the longest period of time. She remembers I started doing this when she was 9.

The problem is that at this age, she went to live with her father and her stepmother. Long story, father kidnapped her from me by not returning her back after a Xmas visit. Father and I lived in different states.

Fought long and hard to get her back, but lost for different reasons too long to mention here.

After that she never lived with me full time. I was never able to spend any long periods of time with her; my mothering was intermittent and awkward to say the least. I tried my best to make the best of it all. She became a teenager, a young adult, and now a married woman with a child. I must say her marriage is not a happy one.

After I got this shocking text, for which she used her husband's cell phone, I wrote her an e-mail. I pointed to her that at this time she went to live with her father and stepmother, but still, "sweetheart, can you give me an example of when and how I ever did those things I did to you..."? I meant it when I said to please forgive me, but the truth is I am not asking forgiveness for what did not happen.

I let her know that I have no awareness of ever being abusive, or putting her down, much less loathing her. (Funny, because if she were to ask that of me I can give her 20 examples in 2 seconds). But still, I am going to the very extreme and leaving all avenues open for her to tell me so that I can then ask forgiveness for that specifically.

She never replied. My counselor says that the reason is there is zero legitimacy to her claims and responding to me would shed the light on this truth. I have also been told she is a borderline personality.

Well, the message I want to share with all of you is this: Enough. Like many of you, I have gone to the extreme, above and beyond what anyone else would do in a similar situation, only like a mother could do.

Like stargazer003, why are these children being so cruel? why are we being so mistreated, disrespected and abused? I do not know. All I have is theories and suppositions. What I do know is that like stargazer003 said, we do not deserve this treatment. NO ONE DOES.

So, ENOUGH!

I am also moving on and stop trying and stop sending cards and gifts. It is very sad, but life does go on. Parents are given all kinds of challenges when it comes to their children. Some have children with serious physical diseases. Some have even lost them already. Well, we have spiritually very ill children and we suffer for them like so many parents, but perhaps with less compassion or understanding from our friends and family. What can we do? Nothing.

I have been looking for a blog from these children to see what it is that is on their minds. What little I have read is very vague and not specific. Go ahead, children, speak up! And tell the world what it is that your parents did that is so unforgivable! But BE SPECIFIC. Also, if you are a parent, tell the world how you on the other hand are a PERFECT PARENT, with no flaws whatsoever.

I wonder if we (the parents) should create a new blog called: "Not perfect parents, but the best we knew how."

Enough!

I would love to create a support group for these children WHO TRULY would like healing and WHO TRULY have legitimate claims against their parents, but WHO TRULY are willing to forgive and heal relationships.

Families have been and continue to be the main nucleus/entity of society. Healthy and happy families = healthy and happy societies. EVERYONE BENEFITS. I am afraid the converse is also true.

Divided/unhappy families = divided/unhappy society.

EVERYONE MUST STEP IN. This is crazy!! Relatives, teachers, clergy people, you must all step in and help to heal this national epidemic!

And to the rest of you, I repeat, ENOUGH! Keep loving your children at a distance, in the quietness of your minds and in your holy, inner space, but most of all love yourselves and show your kids that you are done trying and the next step belongs to them, if ever they want to. If not, that is their decision, and they will have to deal with that on their own, spiritual journey. We are only here for a limited time.

Blessings to you all, and remember, ENOUGH!

• dbk_6982gra
    10 years ago

Dear stargazer003 who posted on 9/21/2012.

Thank you so much for verbalizing what I have come to learn and have to force myself daily to practice.

My only child, my daughter, has not spoken to me in over five years. The stories read may be different, but the pain is still the same. We have children who do not value or respect us. They would rather listen to some one that agrees with their bad behavior and bad decisions.

My daughter listens to her so called "friends" that love to sit around and down grade their parents. In the other ear, she listens to her father (my ex.) who loves to agree that I am a horrible person. Thirty years later, he and his mommy still holds a grudge that I left the verbally and physically abusive marriage.
    So here I am the "bad guy". Like most I was shocked the day she told me to get out and called me a loser to my face. I could barely breathe it hurt so badly. I went through beating myself up asking "what did I do wrong" and "what did I do wrong to make her this this way".

Well like stargazer003, by now I have pretty much figured out that we were both to blame. I had given her too much emotionally and financially while she was growing up and on into her married life. Now she is so spoiled and feels she is “owed” my wallet, she is mad because I do not beg nor pay her for emotional support, and she is making sure I suffer by withholding the love of my precious grandbabies.

ENOUGH!!! I deserve respect and will not settle for anything less from my terribly spoil daughter.

I am in total agreement with stargazer003:
    It's not “all” my fault.
    I do not deserve this.
    I will walk away from cruel people, even my own child.
    I will give only to the people who truly appreciates my support.
    I will make a new life and learn to value myself.
    I will spend my time nurturing and loving myself.
    I will stop trying to “fix” this broken relationship by myself. I will not take my child back until I can be treated with value, love, courtesy and respect.
    I will continue to love her and my grandbabies, but I will be strong and move on with my life.

• sanborondon
    10 years ago

Hi:
    My name is Priscilla and I needed to find a place where other parents share the pain sorrow and grief of having raised children only to lose them to another parent
    who chose to spoil them and put them against me, and after ten years, all they do is ask for money. I read some of the stories here and I can relate to them all too well. I want to especially speak to the mothers.
    I almost committed suicide after my took my children away.
    Years spent grieving, depressed isolated abandoned by my ex and two sons.
    You women are beautiful flowers that GOD made and have given your soul to love those children.
    Go and make something of yourselves. Find the goodness that exhists within you.
    You persevere and triumph. Your pain will not completely go away. But it can subside by telling yourself you are worthy of love and respect.
    You didn't chose this path but it happend so now make the best of what happened to you.
    Both my sons were taken from me by my ex husband when they were 13 and 16. They both became abusive and at one time physically assaulted me. I have only seen my older son a hand full of times in the last ten years. At age 23 and 26, they are still not allowed to have contact with me. When my younger son comes to see me, he cannot let his father know he is with me. I did not attend any special event in their lives including college graduations because my ex would not allow it.
    My younger son only calls when he needs money. The re is no other purpose for my exhistance. My ex pays for everything so they sided with the parent who has the money.
    How I have dealt with this is I took up dancing. For eight years now I have been dancing ballroom. When I dance, it does'n hurt.
    I pray for healing of the women who have posted their stories on here and if I could meet you in person I would give you a hug truly say, I know how you fee.

This post was edited by sanborondon on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 20:48

• stillinstyle
    9 years ago

I too have a similar estrangement with my adult son. So much suffering. I am looking to connect with others for support. I am a christian, and am leaning on Gods word and HIS restoring my soul and my life with my son.

I am hoping that this forum is still active. Praying that I get connected.

Still

• Imperfect_One
    9 years ago

I've read all the posts in this thread. I thought my pain was unique and that I was the only one who was going through my particular pain. Reading all the anguish and sadness and pain in all the posts ripped my heart for each and every one of you.

The hurt was tangible in each post, and each of you, by virtue of the fact that you are reaching out to others and are warm, articulate, caring people, do not deserve what you are going through.

Huge warmth and blessings your way from me. From another hurting mother.

• Imperfect_One
    9 years ago

Stargazer, thank you for your very helpful post. That was the kind of stuff I was hoping to read in the book "When Parents Hurt" instead of what I did in fact read which was just more parent blame stuff.

I am going to start implementing some of what you suggested, particularly the nurturing oneself, etc.

Thanks!

• thomas826
    9 years ago

I came across this site searching for "when a parent won't talk to their adult child. " maybe not surprisingly, i can't find anything on this topic. all that comes up is how adult children shut their parents out of their lives. i guess perhaps i feel a little better knowing that this situation is as crazy and unacceptable as i have been feeling it is. i am hoping to get some feedback because i have been feeling so sad, depressed, angry, confused and am not having a whole lot of luck feeling better despite seeing a psychologist which i have never done before and being on an anti-depressant which i have never done before in my life and i am 45 years old with three children and a happy marriage. i've always had a very close relationship with my parents despite my father being an alcoholic while i was growing up and really putting the family through a lot of drama. there was infidelity that i knew about throughout the years on his part and DUI's and a general feeling of not being able to count on him not to embarrass us with his antics. despite this, my mother always looked the other way and never called him out on anything. he got sober when i was in my 20's and for the most part so he's now a 67 year old entitled man. So we all moved on and never addressed any of the craziness over the years. he still has carried on infidelities and he is just unsavory with regard to his lifestyle. again, i just look the other way and say, at least i know he loves me and my husband and my kids and this is the only father i have and we have all just continued on as if nothing is wrong. anyway, my parents do come to visit several times a year. they fly free on standby and so the length of stay has always been open-ended and i have to say that due to my father and his narcissistic personality and general dysfunction between my parents, i do find their visits stressful. i have always been afraid to say something for fear of hurting their feelings so i don't. my husband is very straight-laced and finds my father and his shenanigans hard to take but has always kept that between me and him. the only time we have problems in our marriage is before one of my parents' impending lengthy stays. i have never been able to confide in my mom why my body reacts in that way because it would mean letting her in on the fact that my father is still unfaithful despite being sober and feels the need to stay up late watching football with my husband and tell him all about it. anyway, so the last time my mom came in she had been here 10 days. even though she is not the culprit, i just get stressed having someone underfoot for 10 days. i have three kids and a very busy life and a husband with a long commute who is not around to help a lot during the week. my mother is a help in some ways but also i feel i'm adding another person to worry about while she is here for an extended period. as such, i called my dad and just asked him if he could find out when my mother was planning to be coming back home as i did not want to hurt her feelings since she is sensitive. nothing much was made of the conversation. me and my dad continued to have our usual conversations for the next few months over the summer. then my husband lost his job and we went through a very stressful period. it was odd that my dad never reached out to us when it happened. i asked my mom why my dad had gone radio silent and she told me he was no longer talking to me because i had the nerve to ask when my mother may be leaving after all she has done for me over the years. and this is nearly six months ago and despite the difficult time we went through with the uncertainty of the job, etc, and the stress surrounding that and the fact that this rift is literally killing my mother with stress and crying spells (not to mention what it has done to me as i mentioned earlier) he refuses to talk to me. i called him twice early on and texted him twice and he never returned either. this is a man who has been cheating on my mother and boozing it up since i was a child and he is not talking to me because he says i hurt my mother's feelings. anyway, i am feeling as though the one chance he had to step up and help my family with a kind word or show of support he was nowhere to be found and feel that even if we talk someday if he gets over his ego ,that the damage is done and our relationship can never be the same sadly. are there more people out there with parents who cut them out of their lives for pure nonsense? i am a grown woman who should be able to ask when someone is leaving so i can get back to my normal routine. also, my parents are not the type that have done so much for me. in my mind, it's the other way around. i feel like every time they come in we treat them to a play in the city, dinner, lunch. we rented a beach house a couple of years ago and invited my family and foot the bill. my parents did not even pay for college for me or my brother because it was more important for them to live in a big huge house with just the two of them. honestly, i think i still resent them for that.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry.

Your parents are happy with the status quo, & you're not.

They are not going to change, so you must either keep on coming back for additional servings of what they dish out or stop giving them the opportunity.

You can stop their craziness from ruining your home life & your health by not bringing it into your home:
    stop having them stay with you.

In my own shoes, something like your shoes but not exactly, I would go "home" to visit, only return to my own home with a splitting, 2-day migraine, jaw pain from grinding my teeth in my sleep, & at least one night of nightmares.

That was over 20 years ago, & I haven't missed the drama or the people, & I can sleep & wake up happy.

I do, however, have bone deterioration in one jaw.

Please take care of yourself.

I wish you the best.

• fox_lisadionne
    7 years ago

Throughout my life, I have experienced the devastating effects of estranged relationships across many family members. These estrangements were typically caused by divorce, remarriage (that brought in step members), jealousy, insecurity, disagreements, trauma, abuse, and unforgiveness. Several years ago, I watched my beloved grandfather die of lung cancer. He was also in tremendous pain over his estrangement with my mother (his daughter). She did not visit him or call him during his decline. Certainly there were justifiable reasons for my mom's behavior. However, after my mom was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, she drew herself closer to God and told me how wrong she was for not forgiving her father and for not saying goodbye to him. I myself, am currently estranged from my 21 year old daughter. I have prayed to God, made necessary changes, and sought council from individuals educated on this subject to promote reconciliation. These actions have helped tremendously and have impacted our relationship positively for short periods of time. Over the past 7.5 years I have only seen her a handful of times. I'm am so thankful for every moment I got too!!!! She has currently decided that she wants nothing to do with me. From what I hear, the only people she talks to are her stepmother, father, and stepsisters. Everyone else (including her father's family) has been excommunicated. Well, so what! I refuse to give up! I will continue to wait and believe for our relationship no matter how hard it is and how much it hurts! Thankfully God has blessed me with a husband, two stepdaughters, two sons in law, and two grandsons to love. I'm am so thankful that God has given me much love for them. It wasn't easy at first with my stepdaughters, but I stayed true to them through some very tough times and I didn't allow my heart to grow bitter towards them. I'm so happy I did. I know that there is always a chance that she will never come back. As long as I live, I will continue to have faith, hope, and much love for her and our relationship. I pray that whether you are a child, adult child, parent, or grandparent of an estranged relationship that God will help you to do the same. May you and I reap the reward of having our beloved family member back into our lives (with protective boundaries if needed)! Each and everyone one us fall short from being perfect. May we all walk in love and forgiveness towards one another. ❤️

• Barbara Negosh
    7 years ago

I am sorry for all of the pain this site holds for you parents.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

It's good to put your feelings into words. You can't really do something about a situation unless you identify it.

There is a lot of happiness to be had out of life. It makes sense to identify and then avoid the situations that bring you pain.

I bicycle almost every day in my small town. There is a section of about two blocks where someone has a small dog that comes out into the street and growls and looks like it is going to bite. It took me a couple times to realize that the dog lived there, that it was not an accident that it was loose, and that it really enjoys terrorizing people. I just avoid that street now.

If people are terrorizing you emotionally just avoid them. It doesn't matter how long they have been in your life, if they are deliberately hurting you, and it is not due to some illness on their part, just cut them loose and allow yourself to go forward and find happiness elsewhere. There are so many interesting things and people out there, choose to be happy.

• colleen6166
    6 years ago

I'm in the same situation,my two adult sons don't talk to me,hey,it is what it is.I look at this way.

#1 Let their father support them,emotionally and financially,I spend my money on me and my dogs now.

#2 They can go annoy others with their nonsense,

I no longer have to be involved.

#3 I cut them out of any inheritance they would have received,I'll leave my money to the special people in my life now.

#4 It's actually very liberating to know I never have to be around them.

#5 I think they actually did me a favor,it hurt for a while but had they been friends I would not have put with their behavior,so,why am I accepting this from them???

#6 I look at the amazing,wonderful life I have and I learned to just let them go.I may have given birth to them but you didn't choose them and they didn't choose you.

• Barbara Negosh
    6 years ago

Yes Coleen, we are in the same boat and I am so fed up with their adult choices that I, like you have decided to stop torturing myself over them and pull out. I guess that was the hardest decision I ever made and it took me 20 years to do it. I will also seek safe people in my life and start over at 70. If I didn't leave, their unjustified, abusive, disloyal behavior would kill me for sur. God wants us to be happy and with them it is good on the surface, but rotten at the core concerning morals, ethics and abuse. i am happy for you Coleen and wish you well.

• colleen6166
    6 years ago

Absolutely Barbara,at some point you just have to "love yourself enough to just walk away"Like any bad relationship.Wishing you well also.

• naturewoman0123
    5 years ago

Hello everyone. I started feeling down today. Don't exactly know why it just hit me out of the blue. I come here to read posts by other moms, going through this. It makes me cry, just reading this because, I know exactly what that pain feels like. But, it makes me feel not alone.

As busy as I can be & planning for so many things that I've always wanted to do, it still hits me hard. I force myself to get out of my chair, to do something. But, when I get done and want to rest, it starts up again. So, I get up to do something else. I just wish I can just feel more at peace. Peace enough to rest and relax, but I can't. I hope I can one day.

• patly
    5 years ago

Barbara you have taken the words right out of my mouth! I have divorced my daughter for 6 years now. I am rid of the aggravation and disrespect. We are fostering Dogs now and enjoying every day with them. As Janice Joplin sang

"Freedom's just another word for nuthing left to lose".

"

• Barbara Negosh
    5 years ago

Jan,

You are a kind and compassionate woman. Thank you for caring about all of us. In laws can destroy relationships. Although my marriage was destroyed by many factors, the learning experience has enabled me to help my daughter save her marriage from her jealous mother in law. She wanted to keep getting my support and not supporting me in return, so I am now pretty much estranged from her and her sister. They model after my irresponsible, lying, abusive X. The estrangement drags me down, but I try to keep on going despite it. I can only change/improve myself and my life. They are free of to live their own lives. I have 2 grandsons who live out of state and my daughter has not denied me a relationship of sorts with them. This is not what I expected at all, as I devoted my all to raise them.

I am very sorry for your heartache, but adult children seem to go their own way and they do not need us anymore. Some want us, like your daughter wants you, but sons seem to either be devoted to their Mothers, while others cling to their wives. My Mother was loved by all and she handled the son/daughter in laws by accepting invitations when invited, not asking them for anything, being respectful and nice to all and letting them live their own lives as they saw fit. I am not my Mother, nor a doormat, so I have a much tougher time with relationships because I express my views and try to protect myself from abuse; I have a few close friends and relatives, but not many. Please let us know how you are doing and if you find a way to mend the rift.

• naturewoman0123
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello everyone here. I don't see many post here anymore. I'm having trouble sleeping, so I come here to hopefully hear how things are going with everyone. Mother's Day was rough for me. Then I had both of my kids birthdays. Bang, bang, bang. I hope what I'm typing makes sense, because I'm exhausted from lack of sleep.

I haven't contacted my kids for about 5 months now. My kids have though. Cards & text messages. But, I just couldn't bring myself to respond. I know some may not understand why. I think it's because I just don't trust. I ....think I'm protecting myself.

• naturewoman0123
    5 years ago

I'm trying to keep myself busy. My husband & I just got back from a 3 1/2 week vacation. I thought that would help, it did, but not enough. Seems, I can be very busy, but once I stop it all comes back again. The pain, sadness and depression. I haven't been sleeping well for a long time. I haven't been able to get back to my activities/hobbies, due to lack of sleep. I do go out and hike with my husband and 3 dogs. Everything I attempt doing, is exhausting for me.

• Barbara Negosh
    5 years ago

WOW! I can relate toeveryone's feelings so well. I never realized that my sleep and fatigue might really be due to my daughter issues and not my health and injury issues. I miss them, I love them but we are so disfunctional and at such odds over my X that every time I think of getting together with them it produces anxiety, instead of a warm, loving feeling. I am trying to detach myself to protect myself from them, but then my heart opens up over and over again and I long for what used to be. It has changed drastically and I feel I just can't go back until things change, but the only one I can change is me. So, it remains an unsolved problem that looms large in my heart with no resolution in sight. I am sorry for all of your pain ladies. wishing everyone a brighter tomorrow with changes of heart.

• naturewoman0123
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Barbara. I have been going through these issues for 13 years. But, this last time, I felt different. Like, I knew I had to do something more drastic. It was eating me up inside. The disrespect by my daughter, 28 & son 32. I too was very stressed about any visits coming up.

Every visit, almost, left me feeling bad. I would, many times, cry on the way home. Every important event, that a mother would look forward too, was ruined. College graduations, Wedding, Baby Shower, birth of my GRANDSONS.

Whether it was by my daughter-in-LAW, her family, and my daughter. My son just allowed it to happen. I did nothing wrong to deserve the treatment. Unless, it's wrong if, as parents of my son, don't give them enough money for their wedding.

So, since we weren't able to, they placed my husband, daughter, & I in the very last roll during the Wedding Reception. My daughter-in-LAW and her mom, in the front row, of course. My son's buddies from college, also in the front roll. Dummy me, didn't understand why. We couldn't even see the Bride -& Groom, do all the traditional wedding things. Cut the cake, first dance as a married couple. Just to mention a few things.

• naturewoman0123
    5 years ago

Barbara, are you speaking to your kids? I haven't since Thanksgiving 2017. It's been so hard. Hardest and saddest thing I've ever gone through. It's like they're dead and I'm mourning their deaths. How old is your child or children? I'm so glad we have this board, to come in and not feel alone.

• naturewoman0123
    5 years ago

Barbara, my daughter-in-LAW won't allow us to see our 3 GRANDSONS. Well, at least not unless she and my son is there. But, although I have no contact with both my kids, my son did invite us over to see the boys, they would just leave. I didn't want to see them, in that way. Maybe, it was wrong of me. But, I'm just so messed up inside. I feel I need to protect myself. Which I am now. Extremely, difficult. I just don't know what else to do. The things that has happen over the past 13 years, really did a number on me. It's like it has scarred me for life. Ripped my heart out of my chest.

My daughter did some pretty horrible things as well. Once, while things were so bad for me, kids -& my younger sister dying at 42, I didn't want to live. I had thoughts of killing myself. (Not anymore). But, I turned to my daughter. I needed help. My daughter said I had to help myself. That's it. I was honestly in a lot of pain. We weren't having issues at that time, so I thought she would help me. Listen and just talked to me. But, nope.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors