Need ABC Book Recommendation

adellabedella_usa

I've been looking for a good book for ABC's and can't find one. Most of the books I've looked at, I find absolutely ridiculus. They either just have a group of objects in the middle of the page or have some weird made-up stuff like Dr. Suess. What I'm looking for is a book that clearly shows the letter A with a picture or pictures of something that begines with the letter A, like A -apple, airplane; B -boat, etc.

DS is only 19 months so I'd prefer a book that has a hard cover and is built sturdier than a coloring book. Has anyone come across a book they can recommend?

Thanks,

Adella

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kim_B

Barney's Alphabet Soup! It has 3 letters to a page with foods and a picture of the foods that start with the letter. Goes something like "I'm making silly alphabet soup, would you like to join me? First we'll add apples, bananas, and carrots". The letters are right next to the pictures. Another one is "My First ABC book". I found it at Wal Mart. One letter to a page with pictures

"A is for apple so shiny and red, B is for blanket and also for bed. C is for cowboy who rides on a horse, D is for dragon, all scaly of course. E is for eagle who soars through the sky, F is for fairy who just learned to fly...."

Can you tell we have read the books MANY times? Good luck!

Kim B.

Save    
jessalynn9_aol_com

I made one and I think my nephew likes it better that way. I took pictures of familiar things to him that started with the letter. I used the computer to print out all the letter on card stock paper. You could cut them out and glue to somehting more sturdy if you want. With the pictures you can have a picture of Mom for M and Dad for D and those things. I hole punched it and put a cute shoelace though it. You could bind it many other ways too.

Save    
aileen

At that age, you want one with big, eye catching pictures. Silly or not. You want to get his interest. THEN, you can start helping him learn. A little later, one with little verses that are easy to repeat.

You are going to be buying a lot a books between now and school. Buy ones that you won't mind throwing away when they get soiled. Get newer ones frequetly to keep him interested.

The biggest mistake I made was buying books that had beatiful pictures. My kids ignored them. I saved them for my grandchildren. None of them liked them either.

Save    
kim_B

Adella - the Barney book consists of cardboard pages - very sturdy.

Kim

Save    
adellabedella_usa

Thanks everyone. My big concern is that I want him to recognize real objects that go with the letters. Some of things in the books were made up type words and characters. I think that is a little beyond him at this point. He's learning the ABC song so I would like an illustration to go with it. I may try the Barney book.

Save    
kim_B

Adella - another thing that helped my son with ABC's and numbers tremendously was 2 nintendo 64 games (believe it or not!) Elmo's Letter Adventure, and Elmo's Number Journey. Basically Elmo walks along and you are shown what letter or number to look for. He encounters different ones, but you push the button when you see what the game is telling you to look for. My son got the number game shortly after he turned 2, he couldn't even "steer" Elmo yet, so I'd make him walk and my son would tell me when he saw the letter and I'd let him push the button. He can do it totally on his own now, and has recognized upper and lower case letters for some time now - he will be 4 in March. The game can be played on different levels, and even can get them started on basic addition and subtraction.

Kim

Save    
amygdala

Get a couple of the goofy books. You can buy them used, or on the cheap if they are just to go with the song and for your 19 month old to thumb through.

If you want a nicer one check out child dictionaries, or 'first' dictionaries. Picture dictionaries if you can find that as a category would probably give just the kind of thing. It could be his very first 'reference' book. Not so much for pleasure reading (like the goofy ones), but good to know about and to have for reference.

I don't know specific titles, but a picture dictionary might work better as a category than abc books if you want clear recognizable images and less 'whimsy.'

Save    
mac_netlane_com

I have a really neat Padington Bear ABC Book. I run a daycare and all of the kids I watch (and have watched) love it!! I don't know if you've ever used half.com but you can really get some good deals on there. You can look books up by either the name or the ISBN # (located on the back of the book). With me running the daycare, I am always looking for quality low priced books. I think half.com is the best site out there when it comes to books!!
I just went to half.com and typed in the ISBN # for this book and it came up with a price of $3.80 (that even includes shipping).
Take Care and Good Luck!
Mac

Here is a link that might be useful: Padington's ABC Book ~ For Sale

Save    
aileen

Along with ABC Books, get in the habit when you are out, walking or shopping, of pointing out the letters on signs, cars, canned goods and such. Ask him to point out a "b" when you are by the canned beans, etc. Show him the "C" on the Chevrolet. Soon he will enjoy seeing how many letters he can spot on his own.

Save    
sharonlee593_yahoo_com

I might get slammed for this, but my son is 21 months and can read every letter -- upper and lowercase -- and every number 1 through 10. He also can count in order and say the alphabet. He learned it all from this video my husband picked up in the used bin at Blockbuster: Sesame Street's ABC's and Count with Me. I'm not saying TV is a solution to everything. But the alphabet and numbers are presented in a very entertaining way, and now that he's obsessed with letters he loves to read more books.

Before this, we used Dr. Seuss' A through Z book, which my son really liked, and a Barney A to Z video. Different kids learn different ways, and at least at the moment he seems to remember and understand more when he sees a story than when he hears one.

Save    
Mommabear

I have 2 books that are not specifically letter books. They are lift the flap books with a page where the child lifts the letter flap and there is a picture of something underneath (A-Airplane). One of the books is "Arthur Goes to School" and the other one is a Thomas the Tank Engine lift the flap book (can't remember the name). These books are fun for toddlers because they love things they can touch.

Mommabear

Save    
bjsjoel

Thanks for this i was looking for a book recommendation for our office. Thanks again...

Save    
bjsjoel_hotmail_com

Thanks for this i was looking for a book recommendation for our office. Thanks again...

I found a health site that has Bowtrol Colon cleanse and climinax Check the website for more details.

Here is a link that might be useful: Revitol Stretch Mark Cream

Save    
rmorrison100

Barney's Alphabet Soup is a great suggestion.
numerology name : save marriage

Here is a link that might be useful: numerology name

Save    
ready2run

i have four kids. out of them, two were reading increadibly early, my 12yo and my youngest who is just 2 now. the book they learned to read from: dr.suess's ABC's. yes there are a few silly things in there but the emphasis is on the phonics and the front and back inside covers are the alphabet so you can sing the abc's at the beginning and end. most of the things in the book are real and adding some sillyness actually helps them remember and get the point if you laugh along. i wish i had bought this book for my other two as well but i didn't realize the book had that much to do with my 12yo's early reading until i started doing it nightly with my 2yo. he was non-verbal in december. now he knows all his letters upper and lower case and is reading basic words and writting his full name, and about a dozen other words. all thanks to dr.suess's abc's.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Decorating 101: The ABCs of Arranging Vignettes
Learn how to make captivating displays with a few of your favorite things
Full Story
Architecture The ABCs of CAD
Computers help architects produce countless renderings and shorten lead times. But still there's one big thing CAD can't do
Full Story
Homes Around the World World of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
By Houzz
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
At Forward Design Build, we tailor every design to fit our clients’ styles and to accommodate their needs. We... Read More
At JJ’s Home Improvements, we continue to make our customer’s remodeling dreams become reality. We strive to make... Read More