SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryann_m

placement of handle on trash pullout

maryann_m
13 years ago

Finally... my cabinets arrived today and they are partially installed. Yay!!! Things going "in" instead of being torn apart!

But now they want me to make even MORE decisions! I continue to be amazed by the number of decisions involved in renovating a kitchen..

The latest decision involves the handle choice and placement of the handle on a trash pullout cabinet. I've never had a trash pullout cabinet before, so I'm not sure what would be best.

The options the cabinet installers presented are, I can have either a pull/handle that matches what is on the drawer above the trash pullout. They suggested it could be centered on the frame at the top center edge. I feel that would be better functionally because you would pull the drawer straight out from a centrally located hub, but I'm not sure about the look. It seems too close to the edge. Would it be odd to put the pull in the central panel of the door--centered at the same height as the knob on the adjacent door?

Option 2 is to place a knob on the right edge of the cabinet which would mirror the left-side knob on the adjacent cabinet. The two doors are not the same size--the trash pullout door is a little wider, so they won't really look like a 'set' of cabinet doors, but visually I think this looks a little better. However, I'm wondering if having an off-center knob to pull out the trash ends up being a problem with things getting pulled off-kilter over time. Here's a sneak peak of the kitchen progress which shows the doors of the cabinets.

Comments (14)