SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riley1319_gw

Color selection - open floorplan and competing finishes

riley1319
12 years ago

I really need some guidance. We have an open kitchen/breakfast room/family room space that I really want to paint in a clean, but warm, off-white/cream shade (we just left a house with lots of color and I'm ready for a break). The problem is there are some cool and warm toned fixed finishes in the space that are causing problems for me and my husband is not open to changing them. Here's the rundown...

1) Stone fireplace that is orangey/rust and various shades of gray.

2) BM White Dove plantation shutters and trim.

3) Rubbed black cabinets on the bar with a Carrera marble top (white with gray veining).

4) Warm off-white kitchen cabinets with black granite.

They previous owners painted the space BM Halo OC-46 with the previously mentioned White Dove trim and the walls look like a pale gray but sometimes reads a bit greenish. I've got a solid headache and umpteen cream-family color chips from BM, SW, Farrow and Ball and Pratt and Lambert and am no closer to figuring out how to deal with this mess.

The black bar with Carrera marble is on its own little stretch of wall so I've been tossing around trimming it out in some way and painting it White Dove to go with the trim and then the rest of the space in X color. I don't know - any suggestions?!

Fireplace...

Bar & the start of the kitchen on the left... The bar is generally across the room from the fireplace/wall of plantation shutters. (Ignore the orange sofa - that is not staying.)

Here's one of the kitchen with me standing by the bar. Sorry it's sort of dark, the best representation of the cabinet color is probably in the photo above.

I did not photograph the 4th wall of the room. It is the wall with the greatest expanse of wall space and right now it houses our tv in a tv lift. There is one set of windows with the plantation shutters on them, but no other significant architectural features.

Am I dreaming that an off-white will work in here? Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)