SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carly_jay94

Decorating with orangey oak trim & adding color to open floor plan?

Carly Jay
5 years ago

My house has an open living room that extends into the kitchen with vaulted ceilings. The house is actually "round" (more like an octagon) which poses another design conundrum.

Our oak trim has a very orangey stain on it which seems to clash with everything. Painting the trim isn't really an option right now. I wanted to add some color to the walls to try and break up/define different spaces. I just painted some of the walls with Valspar "Gravity" which was supposed to be a neutral gray but it's completely purple in the room and the trim looks basketball orange now. It also feels very disjointed because of where the color cuts off and I'm not sure how to make it "flow" better.

Should I just stick with white walls everywhere? Is there a color that exists that flatters and makes the trim less orange? I want it to feel modern and am looking to stay with earth tones. If I do stay with white walls everywhere, any ideas to add some texture or dimension to the walls?

Any color/style furniture or decor suggestions are welcome - we are kind of starting from scratch with the space. Attaching some photos here - ignore the disarray. We are getting rid of most of what's seen in the photos.

The wall to the right of the stairs is the one I just painted with "Gravity" gray that turned purple. We painted all the way to the end of the 2 closet doors before the front door. I'm thinking it might flow better if I extended the paint color to the front door wall panel?

Comments (36)

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer