SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khandi_gw

Understanding teenagers

khandi
15 years ago

My DD will be 17 in January. Very good child, well mannered and does very well in school.

We live in the country where jobs are VERY scarce because there are few businesses. She attends high school in the city (45 minute drive).

Last night she was working on her resume and application letter to bring in to two businesses. Because I didn't help her right then and there, at her request, she's pissed off. I told her that I was going to listen to the evening news and would help her after, not when SHE requests it. After news were over, I went to her and offered my help. She said to forget it, she changed her mind about it. I said okay and walked off. I told her it was her decision, whatever!

Her Dad and I do all that we can for her. He drives her to town for movies and waits in town until it ends. We do without just so she can have things/do things.

She didn't do her homework last night and woke up in bad mood this morning. I checked her MSN Message Log cuz she was talking with a friend last night (girl lives down the road and been friends for 10+ years).

They were both going to apply to those businesses. When her friend asked her a question, DD said she got over it and to hell with it. She changed her mind and might do weed instead. Her friend got very upset and there was a convo about how weed is not good for you/won't kill you/etc. DD made the comment "If I wasn't so chicken, I'd be doing it. Maybe my parents would see how they are bad parents." I was astonished by her comment that she thinks we are bad parents.

Do all teenagers think they have bad parents when they don't have their way? Do they get over it? Or do they act out?

It makes me think... if she thinks we are bad parents after all that we do for her, what is her definition of good parents? Maybe it's because we do so much too??

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH