Looking for parents who ask grown kids to move out

writergirl30

Hi:

I am a mom and a freelance writer for CBS Moneywatch. I am looking for a parent who asked an adult child to move out - set a deadline or just asked the kid to leave - and did this successfully - ie, you still have a relationship with the child and it all worked out.

Thanks in advance.

Kim

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vickey__MN

I don't know if you'd consider it "asking". My son was 22, he had FINALLY held a full time job for a while. He and his sister would argue constantly. One morning he started arguin with her at around 5 AM. I was in the livingroom with a migraine, I said that's it, you have until the end of next month to move out. Preferrably the end of this month, but for sure by the end of next month!

Three years later (and actually even when he moved out) we have a great relationship. He really grew up once he moved out. He decided the full time job he had wasn't what he wanted so he went back to college, and will graduate in May with a AA in Law Enforcement!!! He go married a year later,and has also bought a house.

Vickey-MN

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Woodworking See a Family Greenhouse Grown From Scraps
Can-do resourcefulness and less than $400 lead to a new 8- by 8-foot home for plants on a Tennessee family's property
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Ask an Architect: How Can I Carve Out a New Room Without Adding On?
When it comes to creating extra room, a mezzanine or loft level can be your best friend
Full Story
Gardening Guides 6 New Plant Varieties That Beat Out Their Parents
With better resistance and fewer demands, these garden beauties are worth a spot on your wish list
Full Story