SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
screaminghurt

...and the insanity continues

ScreamingHurt
11 years ago

Today, the oldest "dropped by", wearing a hijab, with her new puppy and live-in fiancee.

We live in an ultra conservative, gun-toting-state. We are devout Christians. We are descendants of a long line of current & former U.S. military veterans. We grieved this week over the 9/11 anniversary and the brutal killings of our Foreign Service Officers in Libya. We continue to lament the recent attacks on U.S. consulates in the middle east. We remain concerned for the safety of our brothers & sisters serving abroad in light of the ongoing upheaval and the general anti-American sentiment in the middle-east.

So when she cascades into our home dressed like a Muslim woman, it put us off for two reasons.

1) We are concerned for HER. We are not sure how other people might respond to her hijab. Some people are "on edge" about recent events in the middle-east; Some people in this community are xenophobic; some people are just plain ignorant.

2) I interpreted her hijab just the way she meant it: A DEFIANT MIDDLE FINGER IN YOUR FACE! This is her way of objecting to our out-spoken, patriotism.

I'm an American and I believe in and will continue to defend anyone's First Amendment rights. Even when I disagree with the content or manner of expression. But this was personal, there is no First Amend. right in a private home.

I did not raise this disrespectful ingrate. Our predecessors would be shocked and saddened by her rejection of our family's values and creeds but they would respect her right to do so. But should it be done in such a disrespectful and immature manner?

The "fiancee" can barely look me in the eye because HE KNOWS how inappropriate her behavior is. He also knows how inappropriate his own behavior is, but that is a different story for a different day on a different post.

The worst part: her puppy relieves himself-TWICE-on the floor and she does not bother to clean the mess!

I'm not angry with her, but her behavior saddens me. Her behavior is distasteful and unfortunate. I will love her from a distance as I wait for her to mature a little more.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County