SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Pro painters .. how about some painting 101 tips?

wi-sailorgirl
14 years ago

First of all, to all the professional painters on this board, thank you for hanging out here and helping out so much. A while back I asked for some advice in painting my pine ceiling. I'm finished priming and followed your advice (sand, Dirtex, BIN primer) and so far so good.

Of course I now realize that in giving that advice you were ensuring work for professional painters in general, because clearly anyone who has tried to paint a ceiling like that will never, ever do it again (I hated it so much I'll be hard pressed to actually get the paint on!)

However, once I'm finished with the ceiling I'm going to be tackling the walls. Of course I've painted walls before, but it occurred to me that there must be a right and wrong way to do it, but I have no idea what those are.

I'm planning to use Aura paint (eggshell, I think). So far, I think I'm supposed to wash the walls with Dirtex, cut in with a brush and let that dry, then roll on the rest, making sure not to overwork an area when I'm rolling.

Anything else to it?

When I put on the second coat of paint do I need to cut in again or just roll?

Comments (6)