SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiddledee2

held hostage by guilt -long

fiddledee2
16 years ago

I know what you're going to tell me to do because I tell myself and yet I can't bring myself to take the neccessary steps.

I have an adult child that I have babied all of his life. When he made excuses for himself I didn't hold him accountable. And now it's come back in full force.

He's 34 yrs old and has accomplished nothing in his life other than graduating from college. He's held minimum wage jobs for a short time and then has quit because he wasn't being appreciated. He's been supported by us through times between jobs and sometimes it's been a long time. Even while working he hasn't been asked to pay rent for the condo we own that we're letting him live in. He is spoiled rotten and does not appreciate any sacrifices we've made for him.

He did recently complete studies for a specialty field in which there is a hiring freeze and other than this he has no skills or talents.

Other than entry jobs that are going to recent high school grads or menial labor jobs, he's not getting hired or asked to come in for interviews. He's babysitting the kids to save the childcare costs, but that's not bringing in $$. The GF works from 10:30 - 8:30 PM. I've suggested delivering the morning paper which would mean he's out from about 5:00-7:30 AM and he could bring in about $600-$700 a month. Nope, he's tired from caring for the baby at night, might fall asleep and have an accidemt. At this point I really don't care if that happens! He's depressed and doesn't know how to fix things. Hey, I'm depressed, too. I'm not surprised he's depressed; he's made a mess of his life and it will take major effort on his part to start fixing things. We've suggested learning a trade like plumbing, electrical or using his degree to teach. Nope! Those aren't things he wants to do so he does nothing.

We have created a monster here and it's out of control. He has a child, a GF and her 6 yr old daughter living with him. The GF is working but can't pay all of the bills so I'm supplementing the difference between income and expenses.

I can't and don't want to do this anymore. There are things I'd like to do but am postponing because I'm spending the money on him and the others.

How can I ask them to move out when they can't even afford to live where they are without paying rent? But I need to. I have a grandchild I'm worried about. Can I live with myself if they're without a roof over their heads?

I'm not sleeping nights. I know what I have to do yet I can't do it.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH