SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Moving on from clown vomit... is this more like it then?

deedles
12 years ago

Better match for my stove than the red/purple scheme? Thinking the hardware would be too dark with the chrome on the stove? Nickel or chrome?

How's about a black apron front sink

with this black countertop, Silestone RainForest (not as cool as OhNo's Rainforest)

Not trying to waste anyone's time out there. Really just floundering for the design element.

Thanks

Comments (48)

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is the whole sample of the chicken wallpaper that I like so much. I set a plate of glass over the top to see how that looked.

Annndd, this is a shot of my current kitchen. The inspiration pic has about the same feel, doesn't it?

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I like it alot better, but this is a very different direection than your other, more colorful plan.

• Related Discussions

clown loaches need advice please!

Q

Comments (3)
    Clown Loaches grow at a slow rate, about 1/2" a year. They should take care of the snails. If you can though get a smaller tank to keep a population of snails in for food. I find the snails useful down the road. The snails population (if we're talking about the little hitch hiking pond snails) will go down once you get the proper balance of lighting,nutrients and plant growth. Less food = less snail population. The snails will keep the plant leaves "clean". Oto cats are good for this to, but the snails seem to do a better job IME. Provide plenty of "caves" for the loaches by stacking rocks or using PVC pipe and fittings. People have made some really cool, natural look "caves" using PVC and cementing/siliconing sand and rocks to it.
    ...See More

How To Clean Dog Vomit Mixed With Gummy Bears From Carpet

Q

Comments (6)
    Both geletin and sugar will desolve in alcohol. You could try that after testing the carpet for colorfastness. The food dye coloring may be permanent though. The acidic vomit may need some baking soda to neutralize the smell. When you say you tried a 'carpet cleaner' on it do you mean you rented a unit, or are you talking about some spray-on/sprinkle stuff from the grocery store? You may really need a professional cleaning for this one, it does not sound like a successful DIY project.
    ...See More

very serious cat vomiting problem

Q

Comments (28)
    I am going through the same thing. I went away on vacation and left my cat with my parents and their two dogs which my cat Bailey grew up with until I moved out. He often visits them when I go away. Then I took Bailey home and he started throwing up white foam. First it was once and a while, then it started picking up to 2-3 times a day. So I took the cat to the vet. They started with it being a hairball and gave me hairball lube as I call it. That made it worse. He started throwing up 6-7 times a day and stopped eating. I took him back 3 days later and they did x-rays and blood work and everything came back fine. They put him on fluids and Reglan, Carafate and Pepcid and sent him home $$$ dollars later. He was good for 3-4 days then went right back to throwing up. I was told to add gas x and baby food. The baby food made him barf just from the smell. He had an endoscopy yesteday and they found nothing visable. His biopsies were shipped to Cornell Veternary school befoe I even picked him up. (Haven't heard back yet). The doctor says that he really doesn't know whats causing it, but that once the results come back he may run lower GI testing and put him on steriods. The poor cat who had so much life in him (4 years old) all he does is sleep now. I haven't seen his eyes open since he came home. I rub him to make sure he is still with us sometimes. I really don't understand how a perfectly healthy cat gets so sick suddenly. I wish there was something more I could do while we try to figure this all out. I have to pick him up and move him to different locations. He's lost 3 lbs in a month. :(
    ...See More

I feel like I am actually going to vomit....

Q

Comments (39)
    Don't give up, my advice is to step back and realize there are other great choices and once you have selected one you'll forget the other one. I say that because in my master bath I fell in love with a beautiful European wallpaper, because I tend to dream up what I want in my head, look for it and find it. So, I asked for a pale blue background with large white flowers--much like yours, and looked everywhere myself. No luck. Then I asked a designer to find it for me. He did--the extremely expensive European wallpaper. For a bathroom. We figured the rolls and just did not want to spend that kind of money on a wallpaper, so I went back to looking. Couldn't find anything. My teenage daughter picked up one of the many books and flipped through and happened to look at the back page of one--one I missed, and the colorway was a pale blue background with white flowers. Perfect. I still love that wallpaper almost nine years later. I can't quite remember the other because it was so similar, and it was more delicate--no coating on it. We sometimes tend to get tunnel vision when working so hard to find just the perfect materials and decor for our homes. Most of my wallpapers are Thibault as they have a lot of designs that appeal to me, and I LOVE LOVE the one that Voila posted, from Colfax and Fowler, do the colors work for you in that one? It is stunning. Good luck, you have lots of great help here and good resources, would love to see what you eventually select. This post was edited by demifloyd on Sat, May 3, 14 at 9:45
    ...See More
  • Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Oh deedles, you have my heart with that backsplash paper. I was just trying to talk myself out of inventing a need for these (link below) - maybe you can use them?

Adore your Chambers. I'll read up on the Clown Vomit concept, which I apparently missed, but like the black sink very much with your range color.

Here is a link that might be useful: barkcloth farm panels

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

LOL!!!

Deedles- Breezy is never going to live that one down...but I'm glad you didn't go with Marcolo's comment, for your title :)

Now, I really like the chicken wallpaper, much better (seeing more of the entire picture) but I would think about changing the inspiration picture idea to yellow uppers...maybe with one of your accent colors on the beadboard, to highlight your open shelves.

In your actual kitchen, I love the arch going back to the (pantry?) and that cool cabinetry. Are you going to paint that cabinetry? That might be a fun area to bring in some accent colors, too. Great wood floors, BTW.

The black sink is nice, but stainless might pick up the chrome on your range better. Have fun with the space...it looks like it's going to be wonderful!

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

deedles you crack me up! I love the chicken wallpaper and I love the countertop choice. I think that lavendar_lass has a point about the sink being in stainless rather than black (although the black is very cool) to pick up the chrome on your Chambers.

/every time I see a Chambers on here I just long for the kitchen I grew up in and learned to cook in. It kills me in a good way ;)

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

First - I love your green Chambers. We have a Chambers C in white and brought my love of green in with the paint. Second, I like your vintage wallpaper but wonder if it would not make your kitchen look too busy. Currently, I have painted beadboard as a backsplash but am considering seeing if I can talk my husband into a 4" backsplash using a few of the attached rooster tile along with the plain cream tile with the leaves sorry, not sure how to imbed a picture from another site):

http://www.tierrayfuego.com/MexicanTile/SpecialDesignsTalaveraTile/TTSDPage/10710_rooster.htm

http://www.tierrayfuego.com/MexicanTile/ClassicDesignsTalaveraTile/TTCPage/10169_talavera_ceramic_tile.htm

I actually bought a sample tile and think the green would definitely go with your Chambers, especially if you just used as accent tiles.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

The first pic shown here looks really great:leave the darker hardware-it sets the cabinets apart a bit which is good because the vintage stove is such a stand alone piece anyway. Matchy matchy can backfire. The elements shown-the cream uppers with some open cabs and the cherry base cabs with the green stove shows really thoughtful combining. The dark hardware sets the cabinets and helps emphasize them-they are beautiful cabinets.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

deedles:You are funny and are probably a lot more honest about being designed challenged than many of us.

What are your plans for the wall paper? It seems to me that your last post was a little over the top but this one seems just too safe for who you are (or seem to be over the internet). The green in the wall paper seems to echo your stove, so what about taking the cream of the chicken feet and tail feathers and seeing if that would work as a colour for your uppers and it looks like that creamy yellow is already in the silestone.

The wall paper also has the silver grays in it with the gardening tools so the chrome or nickel is definitely better than the darker hardware. Are those red knobs are your stove - if so there is red in the wall paper as well and now you can use the red as accent colours. You could do window treatments with red and cream in them.

I think the stainless steel sink will be better than the black.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Well I missed the post on Clown Vomit...

But, I'm not loving the cherry with the stove. I am suprised, because that cherry and green are in my kitchen. Or maybe I don't like the mix of the cherry with the white uppers. Something doesn't read right when I see your picture collage. I'm sorry.

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

I like this much better than the err...colourful stuff, and agree with Lavender Lass and Blfenton about the creamy yellow uppers & stainless sink.

(We used to make a chocolate log with coloured mini marshmallows. I no longer have the recipie but I remember it was called Clown Poop).

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, Thank people for the responses! Way better than the last batch anyways.

I should have clarified: the pic of my current kitchen is NOT the kitchen I'm redoing. We bought a small house to move to and that's the kitchen I'm thinking about. I was just saying that the inspiration pic (wood/paint/overall feel)reminds me of what I have already in the current kitchen (which I just redid a couple years ago except for the stuff that still isn't finished, lol).
    Dilly: yes, it is different. When I say I'm flailing about, I'm not kidding :).

Circus: I LOVE THAT! Bark cloth is about my favorite thing in the whole curtain world. I have bark cloth that has been sitting folded for 10 years in a rubber maid tub because I can't bring myself to put a scissors to it and I can't manage to put in Ebay, either. That cow stuff is great. Don't know what I'd do with it, either. I'm pushing it with the chickens. It's great, though. (Can you just feel the various eyes rolling as they read that?)
    Lavender: you are always so nice in your replies. I read your replies to others and that holds true.
    Like a buttermilk type yellow, is that what you mean? It's nice paper when you can see more of the whole thing, isn't it? I agree with you and HSW about the sink, too. Stainless remains the best choice with that stove top.
    HSW: did you learn to cook on a Chambers? They are cool ranges.
    Farmhouse: ahoy fellow Chambers user... high back splash or no? Cute tiles. I was in a tile store last weekend, Ann Sacks, and I realized that if I had to choose tile it would be the end of me. I'd end up in a straight jacket in a padded room. THERE IS TOO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM. I don't know how you people do it!
    Herb: Good point on the hardware. I can see how that would be right.
    BLfenton: I was thinking about the wallpaper on the back splash with tempered glass panels over it for protection. This stuff isn't cheap, or at least in my world it's not. I love the wallpaper. Can't help it. And I don't have so much B/S in this new remodel that it'd be like ATTACK OF THE KILLER CHICKENS or something. It's a pretty small house with an 11 x 12 kitchen. And see, you're pointing out what I've been thinking... the colors in that wallpaper pull in the stove, chrome, stainless, potential cabinet colors, etc. Love. It.
    Enduring: you probably haven't lived if you haven't read that post. It should be nominated for most flat-out negatives responses ever in a single post. My inspiration pic for that post was compared to not only clown vomit but walking in on yer folks, uh... yeah. So you can only imagine. What about a more chocolat-ey stain for the lowers with a more yellow-ey upper?
    Decor: was the clown poop good?

Thanks you guys are all nice, (well YOU guys are). I'm going slowly insane from all the choices. Truly there is too much out there. And see, this is my last kitchen (please God)so I really want to do it nicely. And I always like the off-the-beaten-path stuff, (chicken paper, cow bark cloth,etc)so I'm probably not the easiest person to help on this forum. I do appreciate the comments, though. Even the clown vomit one, initially setting me back on my heels for a few hours, did ultimately cause me to think, "maybe that's a strong enough reaction that I should pay attention to it".

Okay, off to work.

I'll probably be back with my next inspiration pic being something like "make your own counters out of duct tape".

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like the wallpaper better now because the colors seem to coordinate better with the stove in this shot.
    I think my only issue with the uppers in the new inspiration pic is they cream color. The wallpaper has pure white in it and your stove has a cool tone as well. I'd rather see pure white up top. I do love the lowers and the counter choice if that helps.
    We used chrome hardware and also have a Chambers (white one) and I love how that extends the chrome in our kitchen. I consider chrome to be one of our "colors" in the reno. We used it as much as we could without doing a diner look.
    If you don't want full on chrome, you could do stainless hardware instead for a softer silver. But I vote for chrome all the way!

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo: I'd love to see your Chambers and what you've done in your kitchen. Have you any pics out there? I like chrome. Timeless. Less expensive. Shiny. What's not to like?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Deedles--Perhaps I was slightly harsh in my comments, but by no means does that thread hold the record for the most flat out negative responses. You have missed some doozies! I typed the first thing that popped into my head. I always think folks want honesty when they post for feedback. I wasn't going for mean.

I like that you have a different vision and are going for something creative and cool. Believe it or not, we love those kind of projects around here! Just because I might not install a room like yours, doesn't mean I don't appreciate the retro-ness of it. I can't wait to see how it all shakes out!

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You mean I have to try harder to get the record?

I can see how that statement popped out. Please, don't worry about it, I always pride myself on being honest so I certainly have to be able to take what I dish out. I still like elements of that kitchen but I think it ain't happening for me after further review. I admit to having the words "clown vomit" running through my head for the last 24 hours, though :)

I too, can't wait to see how it all shakes out. As long as I'm dreaming, I haven't really made any mistakes, right?

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

my only concern is that a black color for the sink looks modern and not complimentary to "The Cool Chambers". Same sink in white/off white is a winner!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Deedles I love this thread. I love your honesty. Your
    bravery and especially your sense of humor. Truly you
    are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt.

Forgive me, I am to add one more annoying image to your
    thougth process. I am not a fan of the sink either but
    I like this one and just had to toss it into the mix.

~boxer

• enduring
    12 years ago

Boxer, this is some cute kitchen. I love the green, purple and red. It is in a nice balance.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I haven't posted finished pix yet because we are not there yet. We are using the kitchen, but many touches still need doing.
    Here she is on the day we adopted her. This is not our house:

You can see her here on the day our counters were installed. She is sitting too low, so it looks funny. She has since been raised up....

This is a sink similar to ours and which fits in with the stove perfectly:

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Another very strong vote from me for considering stainless. I don't think it will detract from your chrome Chambers top at all. I have a chrome-top 1949 O'Keefe & Merritt with copper countertops, and it all seems to work just fine (at least nobody has expressed wanting to gouge their eyes out, yet).

Stainless and red are really a gorgeous combination, all the more so with your jade green range:

{{gwi:1677490}}

Here's a quick mood board for you with red cabinets; forgive my laughable photoshop skills:

And I don't know if you've considered green?

Or even matching the stove, to give you that uniform serenity that shows up in your inspiration photos, without bowing to the white/ivory:
    {{gwi:1677496}}

If you're absolutely sick of painted cabinets in any color, it's possible to do cherry in a very red burgundy stain that's quite pretty -- you wouldn't want this fussy style, but perhaps this stain might work well with your rooster paper?

I can't recall, have folks sounded you out about different colors for uppers and lowers?

Things call. I must run, but will be back later for more Chambersy goodness.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Hey there Deedles,

Here's a quick wave from an oldtimer who has primarily moved to lurker mode these days. Still,I'm moved to jump into the action, if only momentarily. So, if you don't mind, here's my 2 cents:

1. I love color, love your chicken wallpaper and I absolutely loved the "clown vomit" kitchen! Right up my alley! Now, while I also agree with most that I didn't see your green Chambers beauty fitting neatly into that palette, I think I got the spirit of where you were going by even asking the question. Trust me-- you have "friends of clown vomit" here. lol

2. I'm really digging these suggestions Circuspeanut has posted. Especially the one with the green cabs. To my mind, with that stove and that wall paper and those cabs, your kitchen would simply rock. Haven't landed on the sink though. Although, I'm leaning more heavily towards white over stainless steel.

3. I ditto Boxerpups' kudos to your great sense of humor and good-natured agreement to roll with the punches. On that latter note though,(and even though she doesn't need my "defense"), I'm sure Breezy is telling the truth when she says she wasn't going for "mean.":-)

Okay. 'Nuff said. Carry on! :-)

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Holy Cow!! Boxerpups et al!! Check out my sink! Sorry for the !!! but honestly, you're not gonna believe the sink that I have in my current kitchen that I didn't think would work in the new kitchen because it's so wide but now I realize that (DUH) I can get someone to build a cabinet for a base with storage and IT DOES WORK! (I feel real dumb right now not realizing this before, but I saw someone's kitchen on here with a vintage sink and the original base. Lightbulb!)

Here it is:

Seriously. 1920-30's Kohler. From my FIL's basement. Nabbed from an old houseboat that his uncle had. The finish is a little rough on the very bottom of the bowls.. not gawd-awful but worn. The rest of the finish is nice and shiny. I was so sad to think it didn't work but now...

I cracked up when I saw your pic and I really love that plum with the green, too! You know, my grandmother had impeccable taste and she had kitchen cupboards that were birch, I think with a lavender-ish wash. This was in the late 50's. They were just beautiful until my sister painted them orange in the 70's and stuck mushroom decals on them. How does one go about getting a lavender-ish wash or glaze on cabinets nowadays?

See? There I go again. I feel like the scarecrow trying to figure out which road leads to OZ.

Now I'm going to look over the ideas that were so thoughtfully photo shopped together in the last few posts. Thanks you guys for taking your time to do that!

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Whoa! What a fabulous, purrfect sink!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Nice sink! :)

Here's a yellow I really like, for your kitchen...and I think it would look great with the green stove, green sink, rooster wallpaper and other accessories. It even shows the dark countetops. Yellow would look good (IMHO) on all the cabinets, or just the upper ones.

I know what you mean about having a difficult time, figuring out what you want. I've had a terrible time with countertops. I like so many...I'll probably end up with about four different types. Just do what works for you :) {{gwi:1677501}}From Kitchen plans

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Deedles - is that seriously your sink?! And if so why are you asking about black or white or SS? That sink is perfect - make it work! The counter should still work, now put the wall paper beside it and see what happens. You may have to change colour direction slightly but it opens up a huge number of colourful directions for you.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Deedles, what other secrets are you keeping from us...uh?

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, now that I lost my whole post :/

I'll try again:

gr8day: you're right. Too contemporary. Black/white.stainless sinks are banished. Seems like green sink that I already own is in.

Dianolo: Beautiful old girl you have there. Love those model c Chambers with the drop top and the side lights. Don't you love how well made these old things are? Was she a big grease pit when you got her?

Circus: I kind of rejected green because of the knotty pine element that I'm working with on behalf of DH. The living room is pretty open to the kitchen and that will be honey knotty pine because I love my husband(It would be whitewashed knotty pine if I didn't love my husband). It seemed either red or wood worked better but what do I know? Pine trees have green needles, after all.
    What do you think about the lavender-ish plum avenue that Boxer opened up? Plum is kinda across the color wheel from honey pine sort of. I haven't ruled out a stainless counter top (the only counter I've ruled out is... well, fur) but other than Ohno's rainforest green which I can't afford anyway (course I just saved money on a sink), I really love Breezy's wood with the drainboard grooves. Kinda want drainboard grooves... fits the whole "easy to keep clean" which is #1 on the mission statement list.
    If I choose stained wood, I will have it forever as my DH will have the same reaction most men have to painting anything wood, so there's that. (Clown poop in the pants. sorry Breezy... but the clown references seem to be taking on a life of their own now :)
    I'm on board with different uppers and lowers as a possibility, too.
    Seems that painted cabs are offering the most possibilities, aren't they?
    Thank you for taking the time to post those idea pictures, too. That's really nice of you to do for 'not even your own kitchen'.

Hi Martha: thanks for emerging from the shadows to chime in!
    Frankly, I don't know how anyone could NOT love the chicken wallpaper, right? Yes, the C.V. kitchen and my stove may never meet, but I think it appeals to me because of my subconscious desire for some color. Probably not THAT much color but I see you get what was going on in my head. And yes, Circus has a good eye, as do so many of you on here which is so greatly appreciated by moi as well as countless others, for sure. I know Breezy wasn't at all being mean...it's obvious that Breezy is super nice by how helpful she is on here to everyone that needs help. And look how much fun that phrase is becoming! "Friends of Clown Vomit". A phrase that shall live on GW in infamy. Thanks Breezy!
    Lavender: Buttermilky yellow is also rolling around in my head. Put Breezy's walnut counter on there next to the green stove. Pretty?
    Blfenton: it is my sink. I was talking about the other options because I had not thought out how I could make this one work, storage-wise. It's 42" wide and I only have 113" of run on the sink wall for cabs. It's wall hung now and it didn't occur to me to have a base cab built for it til I saw someone's kitchen on here with exactly that. As I said, I feel a bit dense and sheep-ish for not considering the options that I already had right in front of me.

Painted cabs have moved up to first place. Thanks you guys!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Very pretty! Now that you have green on the sink and the range...I think it will balance out your accent colors (lavender and red?) even more. Yellow and wood will be great with all the other features in your kitchen...and that rooster wallpaper is really growing on me!

I could see something like that having been in our farmhouse, back in the day...my husband's grandmother raised chickens and sold eggs. However, I think this time around, it's going to be bunnies, with a few chickadees and assorted herbs/flowers :)

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I understand finding a good yellow is akin to... well,stuff that's hard.
    What yellow bridges the cool green and the warm pine? Kind of an ivory-ish yellow or a more clear lemon-ey type.

That cow bark cloth is growing on me, btw. I've gone back to look at it several times now. Hard to believe there isn't a chicken to be found but there are ducks. Totally charming.

I had chickens a couple years ago in our backyard. Really enjoyed them and am looking forward to having more when we move. Bunnies are cute but no eggs, lol.

• User
    12 years ago

Once upon a time, I think I saw you were working with red? I think a beautiful barn red for the lowers would be just the perfect contrast with the vintage green elements. It says country cozy elegance. For the uppers, a soft cream or light yellow, and of course your wonderful vintage wallpaper! The dark green Rainforest Silestone counters would tie in the green element well all around the kitchen. Add in some vintage cannisters and fabric, and you've got something incredibly personal and pulled together.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Wow you pulled that treasure of a green sink out of your sleeve.

Love it!!!!
    I want you to see a few more sinks like yours. See you
    can make it work.
    ~boxer.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Here is a sink pic I stole from another poster here. I don't even have this kind of sink, but I love how they did the bottom part!

I don't think anyone loves purple more than I do (dark purple dining room and almost as dark purple bedroom ceiling!), yet I don't see the purple playing well with the patterned paper you found (which I also love). If you keep the paper, I would color match the darker green and use that for the cabs as either paint or a stain.
    I would love to see deep purple cabs with that stove and sink though.... sigh....

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxer: where are you finding these great pictures? Esp. that first one of the green sink? Gosh, those are beautiful, and check out the cool gold fridge in that one pic!
    Holly: Red is still in the running, for sure. The more I think about it, the more it feels like a two color cab kitchen might be the solution. I still like that silestone along with a wood counter. Both can have drainboards so....
    red base/cream uppers, red base/yellow uppers, yellow base/cream uppers, yellow base/yellow uppers...plum base/cream uppers, plum base/yellow uppers....
    Dianolo: THAT's the pic that I saw yesterday that made me think 'duh, build a base for storage dummy'. Still thinking about the plum. I do like plum and you hardly ever see it in a kitchen. (I'd love to see a pic of your plum dining room) The grey background of the wallpaper has a definite plum/lavender tone in real life... and maybe that's enough? Maybe lighter cabs the yellow/cream type would make that paper 'pop'? Still not sure that green lowers wouldn't be too much green, though. Time to fool around with cropping and pasting, I guess...

Feel pretty good about all these suggestions today, though!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I really love the idea of gray-to-orchid cabinetry with the chartreuse/greens of your range and sink. Like:

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did you have a pic, Circus? I'd love to see it if you do!

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I see it now. Wow... WHERE did you find that cabinet picture? LOVE the color and check out the pulls... they look like anodized aluminum, like the old tumblers. I really like that color. Do you have any more info or the location of the picture?

I was fooling around and came up with this which I really liked but now I really like that, too!

What do you think about that one?

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

That looks great! Put a wood panel on the DW and you're golden!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

loving this process....

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to start a new thread. This is getting close, Boxer!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Can you try wood on the bottom, yellow on top and maybe a red accent color? I'd stick with yellow and red if it were me, just because the purple is so gray. You could bring in more green, even blue or purple in the fabrics, but I'd keep those as accent colors.

The bottom cabinets being the same color as the wallpaper, seem to make it all blend together. Not as much pop as with the wood, yellow or red.

Did you see my rooster fabric? No one liked it much on the DAT french country thread...but since we were all putting roosters in the kitchen, I thought it was cute. It's supposed to go with these canisters :) {{gwi:1662611}}From French Country Kitchen
    \
    {{gwi:1662612}}From French Country Kitchen

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's very cute. Seems like the wallpaper roosters are more 'cartoon-ey' than these, though.

Are you thinking darker wood lowers with the yellow I listed in the (latest)pic?

I started a new thread, was that wrong to do? Should I have just left this one til the end?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Deedles- You can mix roosters! It's a bit of a theme, so they don't all have to match, at least that my opinion. I'll be mixing my bunnies in with some chickadees and that seems to work, because of the backsplash tiles.

Actually, I like the wood tone that you have around your sink, now. At least what's in the picture. Not too light or dark and it doesn't look too formal. This is going to have a country/vintage feel to it, so you don't want to do anything that gets too fancy or formal.

I like the yellow that's in the kitchen I posted above and that has a similar wood tone. Not exact, but similar. The nice thing about a soft yellow is that if it's not too pale, you can mix in some brighter yellows and even gold, depending on what you find for fabrics and accessories. And those items are what's going to make your kitchen really work. The wallpaper is great, but you have to continue that idea with your other accessories and fabrics.

Do you have room for a table and chairs in your new kitchen? Any stools? An island? Lots of windows? Display shelves? These all give you great areas to bring in more fun items and colors. You'll be fine as long as you stick to your main colors and keep focused on your theme. I'd say 1930s to 1950s vintage farm kitchen...but you know more than I do, what look you're going for :)

Oh, and I have no problem with you creating a new thread. The 'clown vomit' title is funny, but now that you're getting a better idea of what you want...I think the new thread is a good idea.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Since you're starting a new thead, I didn't want to hijack it, with all these pictures, so I thought I'd post them here, instead.

Some of my favorite vintage kitchen/accessories pictures...and some are more vintage than others, but still there are some good ideas :) {{gwi:1662613}}From 1920s kitchen project
    {{gwi:1677517}}From 1920s kitchen project
    {{gwi:1677519}}From 1920s kitchen project
    {{gwi:1656003}}From 1920s kitchen project

And here's some red. Red can look great in a vintage kitchen, but less is more, especially with yellow. If the colors are too even, you can get the 'ketchup/mustard' look, so more yellow, less red is what I like...but you should do whatever you like. This would be nice for a baking area or for a hutch... {{gwi:1677520}}From 1920s kitchen project

And I showed you this before, but it's another nice example of a shot of red. {{gwi:1677522}}From Kitchen plans

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome pics, Lavender. I really like that vintage style.. I just do. Cool canisters and the open shelves. That red sink base is killer, too.

Ok over to the other thread.

• User
    12 years ago

Love the stove, love the wallpaper ... dark counter and cream cabinets ... you are so there!

A few bits of the dark red and the blue from the wallpaper would be good, but the stove and wallpaper have to be stars. the chikkuns told me so.

• drbeanie2000
    12 years ago

I haven't seen Carl Larsson, Swedish painter, mentioned on here before. But paintings of his house show greeny colors like that of your stove and sink, and reddish wood or painted wood, and pale yellow. They are so gorgeous!

Not sure the point I'm trying to make but I thought of those when I saw your oven!

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting these! They are all beautiful but I especially connect with the top one. Love those colors! I've never seen this mans work... I'll have to check it out some more.
    See the little mouse in the third pic? Nice. The words over the door translate into either "eat, drink and be merry" or "Live right and fear no man". Take your pick.

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

I think red cabinets would be awesome! Not sure why, but it just feels right!