SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carecooks_gw

Distance from countertop to cabinet bottom

carecooks
14 years ago

I'm doing two custom built-in cabinets on either side of a banquette as part of my dining area which is part of the kitchen. I've attached a link below which shows the cabinets as initially designed. We've decided to put countertops in both cabinets. The counters will be used to serve wine, coffee, desserts, appetizers, and will be extra space to use when actually sitting at the table. The cabinets will hold extra dishes, serving platters, etc. The current design calls for an 18" space in between the counter and the bottom of the upper cabs. I think that is too big a space. First of all, it intrudes upon the most easily accessible part of the cabinet. Second, the tallest item that I can think of that will go there is about 13" high. I have a ton of stuff in storage that will come out when the kitchen is finished, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anything taller. I'm thinking of making the distance between 15" and 16". Anyone else confront this issue? Opinions?

I'm also thinking of slightly reducing the countertop to cab distance with the kitchen uppers. Once again, a picture is in the link below. I will have one cabinet that is 22" above the countertop to make the coffeemaker and coffee grinder more accessible. (This is one of DH's few requests). The rest of the cabs are also supposed to be 18". As I'm trying to keep everything else off of that countertop except when in use, I think that 18" is too big. I will, at times, be using my KA stand mixer which is 16.5" high. Any reason why I can't drop the cabs another inch?

Please excuse the scribbles on my designs. We're still working on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinets

Comments (8)