SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toadangel

new paint in bathroom peeling in sheets - why?

toadangel
16 years ago

hi - i am doing a remodel of my master bath & installed new drywall on the top half of the new tub alcove. I primed with zinsser bullseye, one solid coat, that appeared to cover well. it dried for several days.

i then painted with valspar's bath/kitchen paint, which is a semi-gloss. it's navy blue. i put on three coats that were rather thick. I did two coats rather close together (3-4 hours apart) and the third a day or two later. this was about 2 weeks ago.

today i removed some crown molding we were considering and found a few bubbled paint spots under it. the molding was maple with polycrylic applied. this had dried for 2 days before we put it up a few days ago.

when i started scraping the bubbles & smoothing the nail holes, the blue paint peeled off. it came off in large pieces and feels kind of like a thick sticker.

on the back of each peeling, it is white, which could only be the primer. the wall is also still white & the drywall is intact. hard to tell if the primer is still on the wall since much of it was mudded with (white) drywall mud.

i read some previous posts & it looks like it's not the fault of the paint but the prep, in most cases. my gut says the blue maybe didn't dry well enough in between coats, but then i've never worked with semi-gloss so maybe it's normal to feel kind of tacky. not enough to come off or be sticky... just more slick than eggshell.

help?

what should i do from here...

thanks,

lisa

here are some pics from today

Here is a link that might be useful: some older pics if that helps

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville