SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1401217

That Lemonade Print....linnea56...

15 years ago

After reading all the posts regarding the print at Target, that I had first seen in Ballard's - I've concluded that it has become just too common and I've lost my lust for it.

linnea56, you mentioned a friend who has some of her artwork posted on an online site. Could you share it?

Last year I was looking for affordable art for my cottage and was directed to the Etsy site. Honestly, without seeing the quality of the prints firsthand and without any personal recommendations, I didn't feel confident making a purchase. Plus the number of artists and works was so overwhelming! Some of them looked like they were done by school-age kids during study hall, others were original and lovely.

Anyone have tips on where to start? Or can you offer up an online source that you've had luck with?

Comments (9)

• 15 years ago

You might want to check out Overstock.com's website. Right now they have a sale on their limited edition canvas art. I have made several purchases in the past (including one that is currently on sale - darn!) and have been very pleased with them all. I find the reviews people make are also very helpful and honest and help in my selection.

Also, if you have a Tuesday Morning nearby, sometimes you can find unique pieces of art that you don't find everyday.

Good luck.

• 15 years ago

I have the exact same thought about the lemonade print (which I never did buy) and other things like it. I hate it when I find something cool and then realize it's *everywhere*.

I've had very good luck with Etsy! I just looked at my account and made a list of some of the artists I've bought from. Granted, everyone has different taste, but here are some of the artists I've gotten great stuff from:

arian
    annechovie
    AliciaBock
    labokoff
    mercersdaughter
    groundwork
    CourtneyP
    jellybeans
    foodpainter (love the Fisher Price characters listed now! I'm buying the dog painting!)
    sushipot (have bought several things from her -- definitely not for everyone, but I love-love-love her Petit Four series. I have 3 of them and I really want more, but they are not inexpensive)

Good luck!

Ebay is another good online resource, but that can be overwhelming as well. I prefer Etsy. I have also bought tons of jewelry on Etsy (is there an Etsy addiction recovery program?)

• 15 years ago

sueb20, Thanks so much for your response and for taking time to include a list!

My first grandchild (a girl..)is due in 5 weeks. DD is putting finishing touches on the nursery and some of the Etsy prints would be perfect. Looking for something special...but not looking to invest a bundle!

• 15 years ago

Gave me quite a shock to see my name in a forum title! (WhewÂthe responsibilityÂ)

I just got off the phone with my friend the photographer, Carol Robinson. She has her own website, www.carolrobinsonphotography.com , but does not sell directly from there. If someone sees an image they like there then they contact her for more information. It turns out the site she uses most is Art.com. I know a lot of 2D artists, both photographers, printmakers, and painters, and thatÂs where they sell as well. I donÂt know where you live, but if you cannot get to a "real live" art fair thatÂs probably the next best thing. Carol says that on Art.com you can choose your format, framing, etc., with almost infinite options. And you are still getting a limited edition piece, not something produced by the millions.

I should say that I am an artist, though not 2D, and meet a lot of other artists at art fairs. In the off season we are chatting on our own art fair forums. Over the years I have bought from a lot of them, and most of my decorative accessories are from other artists. Many artists have pieces reasonably priced, especially since there is no middleman getting a cut. You can get something nice and get a nice warm glow from buying American. If you want to find an art fair near you there is a site called http://www.artfaircalendar.com/

There is also Guild.com, and The Artful Home, https://www.artfulhome.com/
    both of which sell works of independent artists exclusively (as opposed to design firms or "brands"). Those 2 sell furniture, sculpture, lamps, jewelry, etc., not just wall art. Among most artists Etsy is considered the place where amateur hobbyists or beginners sell. Some of the stuff there is both cheap and cheap-looking, to my mind. I canÂt figure out how some of these folks are making any money on what they are selling. But IÂve only been there once. I checked it out when it was discussed on the artists forum when someone asked if it was a good place to sell. I didnÂt care for it, but I ran through pretty fast. There may be good stuff there but there is SO much that is bad, so how to tell? Look carefully before buying.

And here comes my disclaimer: I personally have no affiliation with, or have work on any of these sites.

Hope this is helpful!

• 15 years ago

linnea56, thank you for taking the time to reply, to check with your friend, and for all the good information.

I would prefer to support artists' work by buying original art than buying mass produced items. But I've felt intimidated in the past when I've wandered into a gallery to browse. I don't think I'm alone in this. Art fairs seem to be a good way to go.

I will check out Art.com and the other sites you listed. I appreciate your help!

• 15 years ago

Yes, many people feel that way about galleries. IÂve even felt like that in galleries that carried my own work! I think itÂs ironic that most artists are such down-to-earth people, and yet many galleries are so pretentious. Why? Does selling art make you "better" than the person who made it? Better than the purchaser? I have to think itÂs insecurity on the part of the dealers: they wish they could be creative but canÂt. Of course there are exceptions: one place that sold a lot for me was very comfortable and welcoming. The woman who managed it considered hospitality as part of her calling. When she left, sales plummeted.

ThatÂs why I love art fairs. Meet the artist, find out why they made what they did, get a piece of a story along with the art. IÂve met some of the nicest people that way, some of whom have become friends. And for what IÂve purchased myself, I always remember something about the person who made it.

• 15 years ago

Here's one example of a totally unpretentious, fun gallery. (No, I have no affiliation with it, but have bought things there.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiona Bleu

• 15 years ago

I just love what this gal (?) does, and her prices are wonderful...

Here is a link that might be useful: Art by Kim

• 15 years ago

linnea56, I know what you mean about having a piece of art that evokes good feelings because you've made a connection with the artist.

For my 40th BD my DH bought me a pitcher, small bowl and 2 tumblers from a potter whose work I had admired. I hadn't met him (the artist) at the time of that purchase. Several years later we moved to a new home and 6 of my closest friends gave me a check for a splurge purchase as a housewarming gift.

I managed to track down the potter whose works I'd been enjoying every time I looked at them and commissioned him to make me a large bowl to match the pieces I had. It sits in the middle of my kitchen island and I keep it filled with fruit. It's one of my most cherished possessions because it came from my friends, and the artist was so kind and gracious in my contacts with him.

I'm not an artist, but if I was, that's how I would hope that my work touched people.