SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Color for custom hood vent

mommyto4boys
16 years ago

I can't share pictures at the moment, but will try to give a good description. Cabinet install is Monday and we have this weekend to finish final prep.

We have a very open floorplan. Kitchen has 3 walls, opening to the family room. Center island, measuring 10x4. On the back, center wall dh built a custom hood vent. It reaches up to the 10' ceilings and is construted of wood and covered all in drywall. There is a ledge and two columns on it that will have crown, as well as the ceiling area will be with crown. It has a little bit of a tuscan look to it. The front of the hood has a recessed arched, niche that may be tiled one day (the same as the backsplash). I'm trying to decide how to finish this area, the paint color.

The kitchen cabinets are cherry with a medium, dark reddish brown stain and glazed with a dark, almost black glaze. The island looks just like kraftmaid's vanilla bean glaze. The floors will be brazillian cherry. We have a window over the sink on the one wall, case trimmed and painted in acadia white. Adjoining the kitchan area, also open to it is a table nook area, all angled walls, completely with a wainscoat look from floor to ceiling. That entire area is painted in BM's acadia too. Just a nice off white trim color. The kitchen walls are painted BM's concord ivory (deceptive name, color niot ivory, more of a deep yellow gold).

My original plan was to try to match the hood to the island. Now I'm thinking it might not even be possible to make this look right. With the drywall finish I really doubt the glaze will take the same. Has anyone tried this, with enough primer and paint can you get the same look? Then I'm also thinking it might just look better to have the island stand by itself. Then should I just paint the hood and the crown trim on it the same as all the trim, in the acadia? OR should we try to pull in a completely different cream color or something? I don't want the wall color on it. Also, the kitchen is not going to be a complete tuscan look by any means. Originally we were going there & it has all changed. I'd say we are transitional and very eclectic.

Please give all help and suggestion! I need to figuure this out and have it painted this weekend! THANKS!

Comments (2)