SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smartashblonde

exterior tech question for the pros

smartashblonde
16 years ago

What do you think of applying a transparent or semi transparent OIL stain over a solid body ACRYLIC on wood?

Please be brutally honest as I am seriously considering this and you may be saving me from my own insanity. :D

This is the scenario.....I have a house built in the 50's with either pine or cypress siding on the top 5ft of wall (I'm on the coast in Fl.) It has been treated with Creosote and Linseed Oil but this mixture has not been applied in at least 20 yrs. I have pressure washed all the wood and the creosote came out according to the weathering of the wood. Some bare, some nicely grained with color and some dark areas. With this in mind, I searched these forums and decided that 100% acrylic solid body stain was the best choice (thanks for all the advice here from the experts!). What I had really WANTED to do was semi trans oil to show off the wood but figured the leftover creosote would make it too blotchy. (and then there was the warning about mildew with oil stain).

So I went and purchased 8 gals of B.M. Natural Cedartone and started staining yesterday. I am NOT loving it and the husband HATES it. I could flush the $250.00 I just spent and start over with something else I probably won't like *OR* I could get artsy and apply a transparent or semi transparent darker oil stain OVER the acrylic and hopefully achieve a nice wood grain effect.( I have an area I could try this out on). I am afraid that a thinned acrylic would dry too fast and leave lap lines.

Am I an idiot or could this work????

Comments (5)