SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzyapple

Getting ready for empty nest next year

fuzzyapple
11 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum after being away for years. I was reading some of the logs and thought I would say a few words. I am a divorced mother of 1 daughter. She will be going to college next year. I am getting a taste of what it will be like for me. Lonely! She was accepted into a 6 week program this summer where she is staying at the campus of NDSU. They offer 5 different subjects for chosen high school kids from through out the state of ND. She is one of 20 kids in the science program. She is not allowed to come home during this time. She is living in the dorms. I am happy for her but yet, I feel so broken hearted. This is what it is going to be like for me next year. I do not have family here as they are in another state. She has been my whole life. How do you go from being a mother who your child depended on to someone that no one seems to need? She will be away for 4 more weeks. She is as happy as a clam where she is and it secretly makes me sad that she doesn't miss me. I have work, but after work, I hate coming home to an empty house. The weekends are the worse. How do others deal with this empty feeling and knowing that more than likely, when she leaves after high school, she probably won't be back. She wants to be a doctor and who knows where she will be? I always hoped she would go to college in our city and then marry and have kids and stay here. I have coworkers and relatives that have this and I envy them being able to do things together, especially at the holidays.

Comments (2)

Sponsored