SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunroomguy_gw

Deck Stain Gone Bad!

sunroomguy
16 years ago

Last spring i decided to bring some new life into our 10 year old treated wood deck. i am a 25 year general contractor. i had it professionally power washed, allowed 2 weeks to completely dry and applied a (supposed) top rated Behr deck stain (per consumer reports). it was their wood-toned weatherproofing wood sealer and finish. even thought it only recommended one coat, i gave it 2 because after one coat it did not look good. it was hard to keep a wet edge. almost a year later, much of the finish in the high traffic areas has wore/come off. it's very apparent the finish did not soak int the wood. the deck looks terrible. i contacted behr only to have them tell me i did not prep it correctly since i did not use there cleaning product and was wrong in giving it 2 coats (never mind how it looked after only one coat). has any one else had a similar experience with this product? more importantly, what can be done to make it look good again for the long term. thanx in advance for your replies.

Comments (4)