SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthavila_gw

Woe is Me! What To Do?

marthavila
16 years ago

Most of you who have followed my occasional project posts already know I've been stuck in a redesign rut. . . like forever. It all began when my beloved antique range upped and died AFTER I had installed my cabs, sink and other appliances. Her sudden death then led me to replace her with an Aga 6-4 DF. In retrospect, that was a rather irrational move on my part. I'm an empty nester who clearly does not need a cooking machine with 4 ovens and 6 burners. Worse, seduction by kitchen bling has now inflated my remodel costs to a ridiculous degree! Leaving aside the fact that, even with discounts, this Aga will cost 7k+, the upgrade to a European pro-style range with odd dimensions, also now requires me to dismantle and reconfigure already-installed cabs, upgrade my electrical, reroute my gas line and install a whole vent and hood system (something I never needed with my beloved antique range). But all that's just for openers.

Ever since my antique range died last June, my entire kitchen remodel project has been in idle mode. The search for her replacement, ending in the Aga 6-4 decision, did not complete until August. My search then shifted to interviewing numerous designers, contractors and architects. This I did in the hopes of finding someone competent, trustworthy, affordable and available to help with this kitchen project which had now suddenly morphed from a "modest upgrade" to a full-scale reno and in which this fancy new Aga range was to play a starring role. Well, it's now February of '08 and the ID/PM that I finally hired came by only today to present me with some preliminary drawings. You would think I'd be saying, "woo hoo!" But no. I've jumped ahead. Let me back up and tell you about my new big problem!

Yesterday, I got a call telling me that my Aga was ready for delivery. Of course, since my project has been on hold all this time, I'm nowhere near ready to accept delivery and so I asked if the range could be kept on hold at the warehouse. This is when I learned that I must take immediate delivery because Domain Home -- the vendor who sold me the Aga-- has just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy! In short, I must now take possession of a high-end, highly expensive, British cooking range and will have only Aga North America (based in Canada) to deal with should warranty/service-related issues arise.

Meanwhile, did I tell you that I've also been having a whole lot of second thoughts about buying this unit altogether? I mean, there's no question as to it's beauty. But, heck, as a boomer living alone, I've recently sobered up to the fact that I really don't need all that machine to have a great kitchen and I certainly don't need to spend all that money on one. Plus,I've always been concerned that I've never been able to get much performance feedback from Aga 6-4 owners. (While most seem to admire it, very few seem actually to buy this range!) So, performance and reliability issues are still a question. And, now Domain Home -- the vendor who sold me the product -- is going out of business!!

Given all my second thoughts, and now with this new development, I've been toying with the idea of cutting my losses on this Aga purchase and canceling the sale before delivery. Because I charged the 4k down payment on this range to my Domain card -- on a delayed payment option, I could technically cancel the sale now and still be held responsible for only that $4k in payment. Then, I would have to get in line with all the other creditors, file a claim in federal bankruptcy court against Domain, and hope like hell that I will get my $4k back sometime in the next 2 decades. In the meantime, I could just take the remaining 3k+ which had been budgeted for this purchase and instead use it to buy some perfectly reasonable, reliable, nice and well-known product that will meet all my cooking needs and and, possibly, allow me to have some money left over. OR, I could just go ahead and pay the whole 7k+, take the "unknown" insanely gorgeous, claret red Aga 6-4 DF, with all kinds of bells and whistles, (and its associated installation costs)on the gamble that, if I have purchased a lemon, I will be able to secure peace of mind by dealing with Aga North America directly. Who knows? Plenty of people deal directly with the manufacturer in times of appliance trouble and make out just fine, do they not? And, who says I will even have trouble?

I realize all the above probably reads more like an incomprehensible rant than a intelligible plea for advice. Pardon me. But, I am simply beside myself with this kitchen remodel at this point! So, I ask -- if you were me: what would you do?

Comments (37)

• cate1337
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sorry this has been such an over-the-map experience for you.

How do you feel about taking delivery on the Aga and trying to resell it?

• hoffman
    16 years ago

I'm sorry you've been through such stress!

I would not take a chance on trying to get the $4K back from Domain. You have to look at that money as a sunk cost -- so the question is would you rather spend $3K on an Aga (that's worth over $7K) or on a stove that's really worth $3K? I've seen your posts on the Aga before and it's really your passion. I'm afraid you would be disappointed with whatever stove you'd get for $3K, especially if you ended up losing the $4K you already spent on the Aga. It would grate on you every time you walked into the kitchen.

The chances that your Aga will be defective are pretty low, and you would have the fallback of Aga North America. It's definitely less risky than losing your $4K for sure. Plus, many retailers have gone into Chapter 11 and later emerged. Are you positive Domain is completely going out of business?

Another idea would be to call AGA North America now and ask them what they think of the situation (don't tell them you were already having 2nd thoughts -- just focus on the Domain situation and the "lemon" risk). Losing their only American retail outlet is a blow to their business so they must be coming up with contingency plans. If nothing else, you could get their reassurance that they will help you with any warranty problems (& then get the name & number of the person who told you that!). They have an incentive to make it "safe" for you -- and any other Aga purchasers -- to take delivery.

The only rational reason to cancel the sale would be if the cost of re-arranging the cabinets far exceeds the $4K you would lose. And if you do decide to cancel the sale, I would try to see if you can get out of the remaining payments (since you used deferred billing) -- based on the rationale that you do not feel comfortable taking delivery when they are going out of business and will not be available to help with servicing. Given the state of their business, they will obviously be getting many customer service complaints and (who knows?) they might be more lenient than usual -- it can't hurt to ask.

Finally, my sister has a bright red Aga (not sure if it's the 6-4 model but it is huge -- I think she may have paid even more than $7K for it). It is the centerpiece of her kitchen and she loves it. Never had a problem or complaint. I have to imagine that if you felt comfortable ordering a $7K stove in the first place, it's not going to threaten your long-term financial stability, even if it does push your remodel over budget. So, as has been said so many times, I would stick with your initial dream and take the Aga -- even if it has to sit in the middle of your garage, basement, or living room for a few months until you're ready for it!

• Related Discussions

New Lawn Woes - Patch Brown, What to do??

Q

Comments (3)
    Well I have a few more questions - I think I do need to relax a litlte but I was trying to get the whole history there! Anyways - hard to tel from the overall picture - but right now we have a TON of weeds on the hilly areas that took a lot longer to fill in. I tried pulling some by hand but didn't make much progress - there are literally probably in a give 3x3 area probably 5-6 crabgrass growing. I know they are annual and will die but should I be trying to pull out at least the biggest offenders? A few more very specific questions: 1. How often should I be watering? Right now I have 14 zones, i am running each zone for 30 minutes. I run zones 1-7 on one day and zones 8-14 on the opposite days. IS this too often? Shoudl I only be watering every 3rd day? 2. In the backyard, my grass is barely growing at all. We had a very heavy rainstorm a few weeks ago and I think all the nutrients were washed from the soil. I literally have no growth at all back there. Should I put some fertilizer down; or is that too risky in July? 3. When should i overseed the lawn? IS it OK to try and patch areas now that are completely bare? I had been scraping the surface, putting down the seed, and then putting peat moss on top previously. 4. After the sprinkler system install I have really nice "lines" going across the lawn where they dug the trenches. The earth is elevated at these parts. How do I flatten out my lawn again? Does this just take time; or should I try rolling it? (keep in mind lawn is only 10 weeks old) Thanks -
    ...See More

Woe is me! What to do? Part 2 (Domain Home Closing)

Q

Comments (3)
    Why should we stay away? Isn't it a good deal? They have been doing a brisk business at the Short Hills Mall during this liquidation sale. I know you have to arrange shipping yourself.
    ...See More

Dresser Woes... please save me with your great advice!

Q

Comments (3)
    Be careful sanding just in case there is veneer, such as on the sides. An electric sander can go through veneer in the blink of an eye. Doesn't matter if you're going to paint it, but sure will if you're going to stain it. You might want to take a look at CL -- there may be one exactly like you want out there and someone may want yours exactly as it is. Worth a look before you do all the hard work, at least.
    ...See More

Woe is me! What to do? Part 2 (Domain Home Closing)

Q

Comments (16)
    It's here! It's here! But, it's still in a crate and it's sitting on the first floor of the house. And, my kitchen is on the second floor of my New York City limestone townhouse. And, the delivery people -- who were told in advance that the delivery of this 463 pound behemoth of an appliance would be to the second floor of such a home (1 step +6 step staircase from curb to front porch landing; 16 step staircase from the parlor level to the 2nd floor)and who charged me extra for such a delivery, but failed to send enough movers for a second floor delivery! But it's here! Supposedly, they will send enough men to deliver it to the 2nd floor either this weekend coming or next. We'll see. Plus, I anticipate there will be another fight now about their increasing the price of delivery. However, just getting physical possession of the darn thing after all this time and in the midst of a vendor liquidation drama, is a big deal. Now, hopefully, it's just a matter of step. . . by . . . step to some Aga 6-4 cookin' in my newly-remodeled kitchen. (A girl can dream can't she?) :) Thanks all, I will definitely post pics when I get it upstairs to the kitchen and can remove the crating. Woo hoo!
    ...See More
  • holligator
    16 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, I looooooooooooove my new Aga. It's only a 36" Legacy, but so far, it's everything I hoped for and more. If you are really concerned about the 6-4 being too much stove, perhaps you could talk to another area retailer to see if they will arrange a deal with you to exchange it for a smaller model (did I mention I loooooove my new Aga Legacy?). You'd probably have to take somewhat of a hit on it, but maybe not the whole $7K. My Aga came pretty thoroughly wrapped in styrofoam and plastic on a pallet. If you left it in that condition, it would be no different than them getting it from the distributor themselves. I don't know what, if anything, it would mean for the warranty. It might be worth asking about.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

could you possibly cancel the entire aga order and get your money back fully? Maybe the fact that the company is going out of business would somehow void your original sale? I'm thinking resale would be hard after the fact, unless there is a market for it, maybe there is. I'd be very scared to spend that much money for something that didn't even have a warranty, so I don't think you'd have buyers flocking to you.

In any case, even if you are "only" out $4000 you still have to buy a new appliance, so in the end you're still out the same amount of money. But regardless of that, it sounds like the Aga is weighing you down and preventing you from enjoying your kitchen, PLUS putting you in the position of having to do further remodel which it doesn't sound like you're too enthusiastic about. Every time you look at the Aga you're going to realize that the Aga was in charge of the kitchen and the Aga was responsible for everything that happened there. Not really a good feeling.

• plllog
    16 years ago

If you don't want it, can you sell it and have it delivered to the new owner instead of to you? If most people have to wait a long time to get one you might even be able to get full price. In fact, you could call around to interior designers and see if they have a client who wants one yesterday.

• madcow
    16 years ago

Marthavila - sorry about the angst. I've had my Aga (not a 6-4) since before Domain started selling them as you know and get it serviced through an authorized distributor/servicer in in PA ( I live in North Jersey). There are other distributors and retailers for the AGA in the US other than Domain and several warranty servicers. My guy is one and I can tell you he is fabulous, very responsive and will deal with AGA for you on warranty issues should any arise. I know this is an emotional (and likely irrational) purchase for you and am not trying to talk you into buying the stove. Just want you to know that if you do buy it, service won't be an issue.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

A Chapter 11 bankruptcy is not generally a liquidation, although it can be used that way. It is intended to allow businesses to restructure. That $4K you paid is an unsecured debt and not likely to get paid -- at least not as averages would go. I obviously know nothing about this case or their finances, creditors or chances of restructuring. Trying to get them to find another customer who would take that one instead of waiting on a different one could be done, but there are legal issues involved and I would want you to have an attorney help you so you didn't lose the $4K.

I think you need to decide whether this is something you really want and will be worth the hassle after it is all done or really something you wish you hadn't gotten into - period. If you really want it and it isn't putting you at risk financially, then what better time in your life to enjoy what you really want? If if isn't something you really want and it won't give you a thrill to have and enjoy, then much better to decide that now and not rework the cabinets and the utilities to put it in. If the money issue is too geat, don't keep going in that direction because you have to and then put yourself under water.

Strictly analyze the best way to cut your losses -- abandon the order and probably lose all or most of the $4K, take the order and resell it -- maybe another buyer will jump at the chance to not have to wait for one and to save $1K. You cut your losses to 1/4. You can also ask the dealer if they can offer any other options.

However you go, it will be worth it to make it what you want and can best live with. Good luck.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Oh, how distressing!

Couple of issues:

1. Maintenance: AGA is also sold by many other dealers, including Expo Design Center (which is a Home Depot company), so service should be available.

2. Do others like it: My good friends put an Aga 44" legacy into their beach house and they LOVE it. They RAVE about it. They love it so much they're getting an Aga Always On for their next remodel. I seriously considered the legacy in a 36" (was concerned about odd European sizes) until I realized that with a young family, I really needed at least one large oven.

3. Do you have to take possession? NO. Until you take possession, that stove belongs to Domain. If you don't want it, refuse to take possession and demand a full refund of your deposit. The most they can charge you is a restocking fee, but it most certainly should not be the full amount of your deposit (which is more than 50% of the price). If they try to charge you the full down payment, dispute it with the credit card company. Although you received the card through Domain, all store credit cards are issued by various banks -- in our area, two banks seem to dominate the store credit market: Citi and Wells Fargo. You have a lot of protections available to you because you did not pay cash. Phew. Lucky you!

If you don't want the oven, call the credit card company right away and dispute the charge -- explain that the company is going out of business, you have not taken possession and you have canceled the order due to their bankruptcy and inability to provide the warranty service that was part of the purchase. Since you have not taken possession, the 30-60 day dispute period should not be applicable -- but you should call RIGHT AWAY just in case.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I do remember your posts, marthavila, and those, coupled with the one above only serves to let us know how much you love and crave this Aga. That makes you so lucky! Everyone should have a lust-worthy object in the room where they spend so much time.

I know you are having second thoughts (which makes you human) but I think you'll have nothing but second (and third and fourth ...) thoughts if you don't get the Aga. Not because of the "lost" $4K, but because of that sparkle the Aga inspires in you. Absolutely, you could get a perfectly serviceable range but you would never walk into your kitchen, breathe deeply, pause and smile. That is worth so much!

I totally understand your concern about having a dud but as others have already noted, for service issues you'll be dealing with your local service dealer. You'll be okay.

I mean, you'll be okay if you get the Aga. I seriously believe each time you enter your kitchen you'll feel a pang of sadness if you don't get it.

It's hard spending lots of money for one item -- I totally get it! (and the lovely people here on GW just talked me through my particular outrageous expense) But I think deep down in your heart of hearts this Aga is already yours. I for one can't wait to see pictures of it in your kitchen!

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

Right there with ya. I cried off and on for a whole day last week thinking I made a huge mistake in cabinet finish and already-purchased appliances. I'm still waiting for drywall, so I won't know for sure how it looks for a couple more weeks. Fingers crossed, and the right color paint makes a HUGE difference!

• weissman
    16 years ago

Have you actually paid them the 4K or have you just put it on THEIR credit card without actually making any payments? If the latter is the case, and you really don't want the range, then I would "cancel" the sale or refuse delivery and not pay them the 4K. If they're really going out of business, they'd have a hard time collecting any money from you.

If you've already paid the 4K or don't want to risk them coming after you, then take delivery of the range and enjoy it or turn around and sell it.

• marlene_2007
    16 years ago

Martha, I too have been following your Aga adventure. You're going to LOVE your Aga...like any expensive acquisition, one does tend to have buyer's remorse...I just had a face lift and I'm having buyer's remorse...but that's totally OT... anyway...the manufacturer will probably have alternative local service companies for you to use in the rare event you might have a problem.

Your kitchen will be gorgeous!

• kaypeakay
    16 years ago

So sorry for your dilemma. I would see if you could cancel the purchase and get a refund - perhaps your invoice or receipt discusses returns?
    OIf you can't return it, I think you could look into re-selling it. That way, you could put the money you make from selling it into purchasing a "new to you" re-conditioned old range - perhaps even the same make and model as your beloved but now defunct range. I know that in my many internet searches for x, y and z kitchen stuff I have come across websites that sell just such re-conditioned ranges. Then, you'd get the extra bonus of having what you want without having to destroy cabinets and move the gas line, etc. Just a thought - hope it all works out for you. If I find some of those refurbished vintage range websites I'll post for you here.
    kpk

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

Go with your original instinct...
    take delivery, if you really do want to change
    your plans you would probably be able to sell it easily.

I think sometimes we start out with a definite feel for a kitchen and
    then after researching and spending so much time looking at all the
    options we can lose sight of our original dream.

Best of luck with your decisions!

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I missed the part about the Domain credit card/delayed payment. If that is truly Domain, you may not have to take delivery or pay the $4K. But, chances are, the Domain credit card is run by another institution under the Domain name. That gets more complicated. You need to look carefully at your sales agreement and the finiance contract. You may want to consult an attorney if you think you want to cancel or sell the range to help you decide which way to go.

For those of you saying just demand a refund, it isn't that easy when an entity goes into bankruptcy. They don't owe and can't pay the same as they did before the bankrupty

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Ok, dear - here's what you do. Flip a coin: heads you take delivery, tails you ask for your $$ back and get something else. Whichever way it comes up will tell you what you want to do: if you feel relieved, you'll know it's the right answer. If you want to flip the coin again (and are thinking - ok, 2 out of 3) - you'll know the opposite side of the coin is the right answer. Trust me, this is a foolproof way to make a decision - the coin flip never lies. Neither does your gut.
    hugs,

• marthavila
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much my GW TKO family for all your advice and support!

To those of you who get that the Aga is really my heart, I gotta say -- you have it right! Ever since I realized I would have to retire my antique range, only the Aga 6-4 has been able to give me joy in thinking of replacement. I truly love that range and I love all the plans I've had for it to be the focal point in my "dream" kitchen. I've even got some justification for the 6 burners because my antique range had that same number. As for the 4 ovens, well, I've been telling myself that the 6-4's ovens are also relatively small. As such, they will help a small meal cook like me to "economize" on fuel usage (similar to how folk who have F&P dish drawers may use only one when doing small loads of dishes). LOL!

Those of you who suggest that if I decide to decline delivery, I might be able to dispute charges, may also be right. All I can say for now is that I have not yet paid the 4k on my Domain card as this was a deferred charge but it is due by the end of this month. However, Domain claims that I have already been charged and if I don't pay up now, it will go on my credit history as a default. In other words, dispute of the charge is not an option. Without a doubt, I need to study my purchase contract and get some legal advice!

Thanks also to those who have suggested taking possession and attempting resale. That strategy hadn't occurred to me at all.

No matter what, I do know that I need to tread more carefully now than before. Sometimes these major kinks in our grand schemes can be God's way of saying, "slow down, take stock and be sure of your moves." Sometimes it's nothing more than plain old nervousness and second guessing as we approach the finality of our decisions.

I'm going to at least slow down and do some serious research on my options. I'll give Aga North America a call on Monday. And Madcow, would you please give me the name of your Aga service representative? Whatever I do, I promise to report back as to what to I've finally decided. And, in the meantime, if you have any more opinions and advice to share, please do so! After having posted earlier today and then leaving home, what a gift it was to come back and find all your messages and encouragements tonight. GW TKOS are simply the best!

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

Oh, marthaville! That's terrible. Can you find out how the service and warranty is going to work? I think you should contact AGA like a previous poster mentioned. Know exactly where you stand with this company. It may not be that bad, many companies come out of bankruptcy and still are in business.

As far as having second thoughts on the 6-4, $7k is a lot of money so I would think you would have second thoughts and would even expect that. Especially since you've had so much time to think with the long lead time. Unless that money really breaks the bank, those thoughts should reduce once you finally get the 6-4. Also remember this is not just a range replacement. It's a replacement for your gorgeous smooth top! I think anything less than spectacular will make you miss your smooth top even more.

• decodilly
    16 years ago

Martha,
    I followed the threads of the demise of your amazing old girl (stove), your ordering of the seductive scarlet Aga, and then the resulting decision to reconfigure your whole kitchen to meet her needs! I have watched it all with keen interest because 1) you have a love of old stoves 2) live in a historic home and 3) chose a really great new stove- all really interesting and great in my opinion, and 4) you also seem like a really cool person with lots of passion and enthusiasm!

In thinking about what to say to maybe advise you, or to just lend support, I realize that I have a lot of questions that I feel are necessary to really assess your situation.

1) If you cancel the Aga will you forgo the change in your kitchen layout and thereby save that money? The $3000 that you would save would probably just be spent on the new oven with no guarantee that you would get the $4000 back so if it is only about the $3000 I would stick with the Aga- a really great stove with a great reputation!

2) If you get the Aga and do reconfigure the kitchen can you afford it? We spent way over on our kitchen, and will be paying for it for the next 10 years. I don't regret it because we are really really really enjoying the new kitchen and we can afford it, though it will require for us to be more careful in our spending. We have no way of really knowing your situation, and probably really don't have any business knowing it, but it does factor into what would be the best decision for you.

3) Can you cut back in other areas to offset the Aga cost? It is really expensive, but you are already in for $4000 and it is a really great stove. You won't really save all that much if it is just about saving whatever the portion is left over of the $3000 after you purchase another stove.

Whatever your choice I can't wait to finally see your kitchen!

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Marthavila, I was sort of ok with you ditching the Aga until you reminded me that it was that RED. Oooohhh I'd have a hard time walking away from that. I have the black one and I love it. But the red KILLS me everytime I see one.

And the little ovens are nice. And you don't have to cook on every burner to appreciate the extra room it gives you to have a few little pots on at the same time.

When I almost didn't get my Aga, my cousin, who was with me every step of the journey, made a CD for me, called "The Saga of the Aga", that had love songs and good bye songs and weep-in-your-soup songs. (It made me laugh, and then I got the Aga anyway.)

One final note on service: There used to be a wonderful Brit named Gary who was on the other end of the tech support number. He was fabulous (may still be there, haven't had a reason to call) and very responsive.

I vote for taking it and sell on Craigslist or somewhere if you don't like it. (ha ha ha)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Just a word of caution -- I'm not telling you to reject the Aga, that's a decision only you can make, BUT take whatever Domain tells you with a very large grain of salt. They are going into bankruptcy. They need as much $$$ and as little inventory as they can manage. They have a vested interest in scaring you into taking possession.

You usually can dispute a credit charge for an item you have not yet received. If they try to deliver it, you can REJECT and REFUSE delivery. You CAN get your credit cleared if they try to mess with it (they're going to be awfully busy btw). A simple letter to the credit agencies in such circumstances will often do the trick.

Be very certain who the lender is. I seriously doubt that it is Domain and not a bank.

• marthavila
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Decodilly, Mom2lilenj: Yes, money is always an issue, but the cost of the 6-4, even with reconfiguration, is not a dealbreaker this time. I remember there being a point in my life when I would have thought it totally absurd that someone would spend 7k+ or more on a range. But, I'm now in my midlife and I have NEVER ever had a kitchen of my own design and dreams. If not now, when? Although it boggles my own mind that I've become a TKO -- yes, I can afford some kitchen bling. . . within reason. :)

Claybabe: Thanks a million for the encouragement! (I've been looking for you and even sent you an email offline). To hear from a happy Aga 6-4 owner means a whole lot!

Raynag: What's up with the coin toss thing? Have you been to the movies lately? Been influenced by "No Country for Old Men?" That's the movie I went to see tonight. So funny to come back and have you suggest a coin toss to settle this issue! LOL!

• mom2lilenj
    16 years ago

Then by all means take possession, what other range could replace your beloved smoothtop! Just try and find out as much as you can about the warrenty from Aga North America. Also make sure the 6-4 is available to ship. Don't want them to take the $4k and not deliver.

• plllog
    16 years ago

If "the cost of the 6-4, even with reconfiguration, is not a dealbreaker this time" and you "truly love that range and I love all the plans I've had for it to be the focal point in my "dream" kitchen," then by all means take delivery!!!

If you have to live with it in your living room for months while you get the rest of the kitchen ready, well, it'll probably make a great looking TV stand :)

Yes, you might need some different ways of thinking and new pans for the ovens but so what? Think how thrilled you'll be every time you open one of those red doors :) Yeah, call around and make sure your warranty is covered and all that other stuff, but it's just a stove :) A gorgeous stove. Any good appliance guy with the technical manual should be able to service it even if you can't find someone already signed on with Aga. The trick then is to get recommendations and start up a relationship before you actually need it.

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

marthavila, I know a little something about having lost the kitchen of your dreams. I know about being over budget. I can promise you a few things to be very true.

Bankruptcy is not a solution for you. Don't even go there unless this is the real crux of the problem. If it does look like you're going to file bankruptcy, then get the Aga and know that the Aga will be the only thing that will put a smile on your face for quite awhile. :]

As for a Chapter 11 for Domain means that they WANT to be in business and WILL STAY IN BUSINESS to be there another day to fix your range should you need it; whether you file or not. A chapter 11 filing usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep a business alive and help them make a legal plan to pay creditors over time.

I know what it's like to make compromises in your kitchen after appliances are ordered. I know what it's like to be grossly unhappy with modifications to a design. I know what it's like to be so hugely sick at your kitchen because it's cost you over twice as much as it should have AND you still hate it. I know what it's like to have a project come to such a standstill and have your range sit in your garage for almost TWO years before you could use it. I know... I know... I know...

Marthavila, you don't want to know the other things I do know. It will make you sick with disgust, despair, and depressed.

If you know for a fact that you would sincerely love the Aga, then please, for the deepest parts of your psyche, do not continue this path of depriving yourself. Get the range. I cannot imagine being a single boomer and having to compromise on this dream. I would take a second job to have one dream succeed. I mean it. I would. I would fight to not let one thing take another minute's joy from my mind, will, or emotions. Don't let this make you sick with worry about worth or do you deserve it. You do and it is worth it.

I strongly suspect that if you lose the very element that you wanted the most for your kitchen, you will hate anything else that you do in your kitchen. There is no way that $3K will buy what you really want. You may be over budget a bit right now, but if you bail on the Aga, you will never, ever be satisfied with your compromise.

Professionally, you should be looking at the Aga as an investment, not a range. It will enhance the overall value of your home and kitchen hugely. It is not an oddity, it's a masterpiece. It is what will set your kitchen apart from all of the others in your town. It will be the single most important element and selling feature of your home, should you decide to sell one day. You can even throw in your 'pans' to seal the deal.

Marthavila, don't feel sick to your stomach every time you walk into your kitchen. I wouldn't wish the feeling I have when I look at my kitchen improvisation on a single soul. I have felt hateful emotions toward the shyster we got involved in dealing with my kitchen. It has aged me terribly. I don't know what's worse: hating the kitchen or feeling disgusted. Both feelings put a nasty look on my face I hear.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Sherilyn I felt like crying when I read your post. Blessings to you, your pain and disappointment were so evident in your words. Forgiveness isn't just for the guilty (who rarely deserve it)it is also for you. If you can find it in your heart to forgive the "shyster" who decimated your dreams it will help restore your peace and the "nasty look" will fade. My husband was fired from a job when we were newlyweds. He worked so honestly and hard for this man - it was a shock and a heartbreak. We had just bought our first little house and we were so happy but we had to face some financial uncertainty. I was so angry at this man for such a long time. Everytime I saw him in our little town, my blood would boil with indignation at how he treated my wonderful husband. Then I realized that it didn't hurt him at all if my blood pressure went up 50 points when I ran into him. I had to let it go. I chose to forgive him, not because he asked or he deserved it but because I needed the peace. It made such a huge difference in my happiness and frame of mind. I actually began to feel sorry for him because he lost a lot of his business due to the way he treated his employees.
    Sorry to ramble, just really feel your heartsickness and would love for you to be able to smile when you go in your kitchen. Valarie

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Do it! You won't regret it! And I emailed you back last night (long and rambling, but I think I answered everything!).

• hoffman
    16 years ago

Martha,

Raynag is right - flip a coin and you will have your answer. I haven't seen the movie you mentioned but I have used the coin flip trick and it works.

I have NO DOUBT what the outcome of your coin flip will be. You are going to love your new AGA and never look back.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

"If you know for a fact that you would sincerely love the Aga, then please, for the deepest parts of your psyche, do not continue this path of depriving yourself. Get the range.

"There is no way that $3K will buy what you really want. You may be over budget a bit right now, but if you bail on the Aga, you will never, ever be satisfied with your compromise.

"It will enhance the overall value of your home and kitchen hugely. It is not an oddity, it's a masterpiece. It is what will set your kitchen apart from all of the others in your town. It will be the single most important element and selling feature of your home, should you decide to sell one day."

Some very wise words from Sherilynn --
    If the Aga calls to you and makes your heart sing, than anything else will be just that -- something else, something less. The centerpiece of your kitchen will be 'the one that got away' and your joy will always be limited by that haunting feeling. If you can afford it, this particular purchase will bring you joy daily, and what better investment is there?

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

Guys, it's ONLY a stove. I feel like I'm the only one dissenting on this but usually when you have major cold feet like what Martha is talking about in her first post, there's a good reason why.

I know it's hard to read every day how people have these lovely things - soapstones, granites, aga's, etc etc etc and we all want the very best thing - and even when money is no object it's sometimes the BEST thing to really follow what your soul is telling you - your heart can lie because we've all been seduced by the lovely things we see here, and there's no shame wanting them when we really want them - but what is your soul telling you about getting that stove.

I read martha's post and I don't see love for the Aga specifically. I see love for the idea of the Aga and what it means for her kitchen.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Yes, there is a reason -- but we don't know what it is and can't make the decision. That doesn't mean that getting the range is wrong -- or right. Martha's got to sort that out herself.

Is it the money for the range?

The money for the changes to support it? If the money is too much of a stretch then, maybe it is a coming to senses.

Dreading having to go through the process (who hasn't been through that)? Necessary, but who wants to do it?

Is it a vague feeling that you're not supposed to spend this kind of money on something for yourself and there's no one else at home to justify it for? A lot of us have been raised to be generous with others and frugal about what we need. The rationalizing small ovens makes me think there may be a seearch for a justification -- a need, rather than affordability.

I wouldn't have the things I do in my kitchen if my husband hadn't been in the process -- I would have said it wasn't necessary and done with a lot less. We could have spent half to 2/3 the money -- but everything would have been window dressing and we wouldn't have been as happy with the end result. Changing the cabinets and the layout gave us a totally different kitchen to work in -- easier to work and to clean. But the difference wasn't a question of whether we could put food on the table, handle a bill suprise or even retire as planed. I've just been saving since I was a kid and it's hard to splurge sometimes. I'm much better at rationalizing making do than needing something.

Chances are that all of these factors and more are playing into the situation. Martha, I just hope you can sort them out and make the decision that will be best for you. If it's having a red Aga, I'll be thrilled for you, and if it's having something more standard, I will be delighted that you are comfortable and sleeping well at night and hoping you make the best of it financially. I'm sorry you are having the dealer's problems mixed into everything else. Try not to let that color your decision. That is their problem -- focus on what is right for you.

• marthavila
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is it a vague feeling that you're not supposed to spend this kind of money on something for yourself. . . .? A lot of us have been raised to be generous with others and frugal about what we need.

Wow. This has been such a really been a very thoughtful, provocative thread!

I think we all know that being a TKO is a pretty nutty proposition. But to be TKO and living single is not just nutty. It's plain scary at all times! With no one at home to really sort out these tough decisions close at hand (and no TKOs among my family and friends no matter where they live) you guys really are the ones I look to for advice and support, especially when I have a big problem. So, from those of you who have at come at this from a business/legal perspective to those of you have tested the pyschological/emotional decisions underlying all this, I gotta say once again -- thank you! Each and every opinion that has been registered here --even if I haven't specifically referenced it in my responses-- is worth something to me.

So, let me be crystal clear that I love and want this Aga 6-4. But Lascatx is right-- although I've finally arrived at a place in my life where I can actually make such a purchase, it still feels strange to me. Even if my mom was not suffering with moderate dementia right now, I most certainly would not have consulted with her on the wisdom of this decision. I would not dare to risk the scolding from her (a depression-era survivor) for being extravagant and wasteful in the design of my kitchen. In fact, I can even hear her saying: "Why do you even need a new kitchen? That 40 year old kitchen you inherited and which you have been living with for the past 20 years was just fine the way it was!) LOL!
    Still, whether it is extravagant and wasteful or not, I confess that I want it. Plus, now at midlife, I finally have the means to make it happen.

In all likelihood, I am going to go ahead and buy this Aga 6-4. I got a tremendous boost of encouragement from Claybabe, when she wrote me offline to tell me how much she enjoys her own 6-4. Madcow, even though you own the incomparable Aga traditional cooker, I am also encouraged by your unswerving devotion to the product. And, Holligator, your post about your new Legacy just made me smile even more. In trying to gauge customer satisfaction, against the occasional backdrop of negative comments from Aga bashers, there is nothing like hearing the product praises of people who actually own and use Agas.

At this point, the key for me will be studying the terms of the warranty and whether I can find a trustworthy and competent local service person who is truly knowledgeable about the product in the next week or so. When I phone Aga North America on Monday morning to discuss my situation, seeing how the customer service rep handles that call also be critically important I must say, if I get even a hint that they aren't prepared to be fully responsive and attentive to my potential customer concerns, then I very well may drop the whole matter, deny possession, refuse to make the down payment by the end of the month and dispute the sale altogether. I sure hope that doesn't happen! Again, I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Go Giants! (Sorry, Pats fans, I just couldn't help that last one):)

• rgillman
    16 years ago

MV, my friend - I have not seen that movie - and I came up with the coin toss thing about 40 years ago; my kids grew up with it and it never failed them. Or me.

So happy that you decided to go with your gut; it is very bad for artists to think too much - they get into big trouble - LOL. As long as the $7k is not an issue, take that big red AGA to your heart and love it to death. The rest of the kitchen WILL fall into place.
    xo

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Martha, more than 30 years ago as I was about to graduate from college, I was torn between two job offers for my first professional job. A professor told me to flip a coin - the same trick raynag suggests. It was surprising that it worked especially for a very analytical person but it did. The coin toss moves you from dithering between two choices that you have analyzed to death to looking at it as a decision that is already made. If you feel good about the decision then you can go ahead with it. If you look at the coin and have a sinking feeling, you go with the other choice.

I wouldn't recommend doing it before analyzing and understanding the choices as well as you can, but it can clarify things once you are to the point where your mind is just running in circles. I haven't had to use it very often but when I needed it, it worked.

I think the Aga like my Bluestar is basically a gas stove - not that much that can go wrong with it - occasionally an igniter problem requires replacement of a module. It isn't like it has fancy electronics. Just about any competent gas repair person should be able to handle it. I would be more concerned about the unknown costs to fit it into your kitchen rather than service issues.

As far as getting the charge for the deposit reversed, don't count on it. When a company goes into Chapter 11, it is responsible to its creditors for getting any money it is owed so it can pay them. Whoever the court puts in place to supervise is likely to ensure that happens. So they don't have the flexibility to do something for good will that they would have had when running their own business. For example, before United was in bankruptcy, they would usually waive flight change fees to me because I was a frequent flyer but in bankruptcy they were much more restricted.

• lenih
    16 years ago

I love my Aga 6-4. But I will warn you about service. There is no shortage of repair service providers but getting parts from Aga is a nightmare. A power surge shorted out the clock on my 6-4 and it took 4 months to get the replacement part. Without the clock the convection oven won't turn on so this is more of an issue than it might sound like. My service company said the parts problem started after a merger with another company so maybe it will get straightened out eventually.

Leni

• marthavila
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Leni, can I ask where you are located? And when was it that you purchased your 6-4 and how long ago you had the problem with the clock?

I am in NYC. I've spent the past two days on the phone with Aga-Heartland, North America (in Canada) and Felix Storch/Summit Appliances (a major distributor and servicer of Aga products in NYC and the Northeast). I have received nothing but firm, repeated assurances that my 6-4 will be properly serviced should a problem arise. When pressed, the Aga-Heartland rep also insisted they would replace the unit if they find it has a problem that can't be fixed. To the extent I was worried about Aga's response to my concerns, along with that of finding a certified repair firm in my area, those fears have been pretty much allayed. But I guess you have now given me reason to call them back tomorrow to ask about getting parts! :) (Even though I didn't want to hear it, I really do thank you for sharing this.)

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Try this: imagine you get a phone call from the distributor saying 'Sorry, warehouse has just burned down. Your stove is destroyed, but we can't refund your deposit because the insurance lapsed.'

How would that make you feel? Relieved? Heartbroken? Thrilled?

Answer that, and you'll have a good idea of what to do.

But remember, big, expensive renovations are always stressful, and a degree of second guessing is inevitable. Try and remind yourself why you chose this range in the first place, and don't allow yourself to question whether a single person deserves a top end range [says the single guy just finishing a 5500 ft. house...].