SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlealexa

good or bad idea? Changing galley to L-shaped?

littlealexa
16 years ago

Hello, I have lived in my old house for 2 years now and want to tweak the kitchen. It measures 13x10 and has a galley kitchen. It has 2 windows and 3 doorways so therein lies the problem as to how to rearrange it for my family's needs. According to my neighbors, the kitchen was updated in the 70s. The cabinets are oak and I will be using them since they are very solid. I have all original stained moldings and such on the first floor, so I will not be touching the mouldings. I will try to post pics later today or tomorrow so that you can see what the space looks like. I have a 2 year old son and another sibling will be here in June. I would like to take my maternity time as a time to bond with the little one and do a small reno in my kitchen. I have cabinets on both walls and a little sitting nook. We have a breakfast room that used to be a porch which is usable during 3 seasons. In winter, we use the adjacent formal dining room. I was thinking of making the galley l-shaped. Would I have regrets if I did this since it would not be an eat-in kitchen? I was thinking that I can put a little breakfast bar or small table across from the cabinets for when guests or my kids come in to talk to me in the kitchen. I will draw out the space and attach soon so that you can help me decide. But in the meantime, any thoughts on doing away with the galley?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH