SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

I want to Feng Shui someone's office...

claire_de_luna
16 years ago

...and am thinking about how best to go about this. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them. I've often said I'm good for business if I meet someone who does good work! Besides recommending their business to people I know could use them, I always think a little boost is helpful when you're just starting out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the rest of the story...

Comments (13)

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I agree with what Amy said in the other thread.

Rather than saying it, wrapping up a card like a gift and offering your talents out of thanks and desire for a mutual sense of value will make your relationship all the better.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

From my understanding, Feng Shui is really more than a decorating style, but a belief system that the way your home (or in this case office) and decor is arranged will promote health, prosperity and good luck. I would assume you have reason to believe that either the owners or the owner's customers would be interested in an environment arranged according to those principles?

While I don't know if it's Feng Shui or not, my accupuncturist has a beautiful office--from furnishings, to wall murals, to new age music. It fits her natural healing and Chinese medicine philosophy, though I could not see it working elsewhere. You do not say and I don't wish to pry what is their business, but if it's any type of alternative medicine, the providers do need to be mindful of their clients and their sensitivities. Whether Feng Shui is the answer or not would depend on the types of clients that frequent their business.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chicoryflower, thanks for your input. I planned to take the plant (and repot theirs) as a gift. Putting a Thank You card with this along with my card (for free services) is a great idea. I appreciate all the help I can get with my presentation!

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Valinsv, yes, it is a healing type of business, and whether or not an environment has an Asian or Zen style to it, Feng Shui is really about the ''art of placement''. Currently, they have double doors opening to their business, but they only unlock and use one of the doors. I believe they need to use both doors so they can allow new business in while old business is leaving. There are unused chairs in front of the pathway of one door, with a large window behind them. No one ever sits there because it isn't comfortable to sit in front of a large window. There are two different styles of chairs, 5 of one and 2 of another. Two of the chairs are regularly chosen to be sat in, because of where they are. I believe equality of seating and arrangement of the chairs is important to their business, especially in the waiting room. (I doubt they actually need 7 chairs in their waiting room, since they really don't keep people waiting long. They make appointments and keep them on time.)

There is already a certain type of eclectic style going on which could work well for them with some editing, yet relates well to their business. They've actually put some Feng Shui principals into practice, without understanding fully what's really going on. I know they probably have a pretty tight budget, yet believe just rearranging the furniture would be a great start. Think about those shows that have a designer come in and rearrange the furniture without spending any money, yet the room feels instantly better!

• ruthie_s
    16 years ago

What a thoughtful idea! For me the best way to approach would be to first have a friendly rapor with whomever is in charge...so many people have heard of Fung Shui, but don't know what it is and want to know. I remember hearing an interesting quote from of all people...Donald Trump!! He said something like "I don't really know much about fung shui, except that it works!" it was in an article about using fung shui in the business place and I guess he has used it in his buildings. But kind of bringing it up in casual conversation and then mentioning that you would be excited to share what you know with them if they were interested, that it is an interest of yours. What business owner wouldn't like that?

• Ideefixe
    16 years ago

I work in a home office, although not in a service profession, and occasionally I have clients come by. I'd be less than thrilled if one of them offered to re-arrange my furniture for me, no matter how benign the intentions. If some one said I could bring "more $$ to (their) my business by simply editing and re-arranging some items in (their) my waiting room", I doubt that I'd believe it and I might think I need to raise my fees.

If you want to ease your way into this by offering to re-pot a plant, that might be a more graceful way.

Giving them a gift certificate for your services puts them in a awkward position--what if they like their waiting room the way it is? What if they paid big bucks for a designer? What if their beloved mother arranged it? I'd offer the re-potted plant and maybe the "lucky" bamboo and see how it goes.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ideefixe, I can totally see your point. If this were a home office, I would agree with you. The fact is, this is a service profession where I make/keep regular appointments. The point is that the doorways should work well enough for business to freely come and go. (The amount of business you do is entirely your prerogative!) I have had to wait, on two occasions, for someone to enter a door before I could exit. I think most people would prefer to have two working doors if the doors are already there. The luxury of having a double wide entry that isn't being used makes it seem like something is broken, or as if (some kind of) business isn't being attended to. In most cases, whether it's a home or business, entries are considered very important. No designer would suggest constricting entry into a place of business, especially when some of the clients might be in a wheelchair, or need assistance walking. There is actually a logical and practical reason for considering the ''art of placement''.

I will take your suggestion, and start small.

• sadie709
    16 years ago

feng shui isn't just about decorating and placement. It is also about intent. when you make placements or hang or set out objects (cures) you do so with the visualization and intent to bring about what you desire from the space ie. prosperity, serenity, family etc. While moving the bed or couch may influence the chi that alone wont do the trick. I'm always moving things around. The room always "feels" energized with change .
    My friends who are open minded will sometimes take my suggestions but those who are not think im crazy.
    I share office space with 8 other people and when I told them I was calling in the feng shui lady before we moved in they thought I was crazy but they went along with it and paid the bill. I mean who isnt open minded to making more money. Eveyone who needed it put the bagua mirror in their window and put the money coins in the wealth corner hanging in their fake fig trees . now everyone makes a joke about shaking money out of the money tree!!! Don't think we dont look at those fig trees in a whole new lite and visualize the money !!!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Every time I see this thread, all I can think is 'I want to feng shui someone at the office!' lol. Maybe it'll make someone else laugh too :)

Definitely use/open those two doors and keep chi flowing ;)

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Sadie has a very good point. If you rearrange the space Claire, it may well work for you. But, if the practitioners are not focusing their intentions, I'm not sure how it will work for them. I don't know enough about Feng Shui to say this...but I wonder if cures work for non-believers. I bet the "experts" would say they do. For this intuitive Feng Shui amateur (moi), I think the intention part is very important!

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Wanting to respond to this thread, my response went into the your other thread.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, for your input and suggestions. Magothyrivergirl, I agree with you. I'm not really soliciting business, I just want to say Thanks and give a little help if it's wanted.

Amy, I believe the cures work, simply because bringing harmony and balance into any environment would have to have a positive effect! Their intentions to make improvements would have to be part of the package however, since I don't want to force myself or ideas on anyone. In that respect, I also believe you're right about ''intent''. I just hope I can present this in such a way that it would be a fun experiment for them to see what happens.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

It's too bad you're not in a learning situation...an actual class or something. If you were, you could tell them you're looking for a case study subject! Like in B School.